Chocolate Mint Meringues

One of my favorite flavor combinations ever: Chocolate Mint! Meringue cookies are so easy to make, and so versatile too!

Chocolate Mint Meringues: a no fail recipe for making beautiful, delicious meringue cookies!

Be sure to follow me on Bloglovin’

There is something so special about meringue cookies. I don’t remember eating them in childhood (although I’ve heard from many of you that your grandmother’s always made them). I know for ME, they are just melt in your mouth perfect.

Making cookies for the week is something I try to do regularly. My kids like to have a “treat’ in their lunch sacks every day. Cookies are the obvious choice for that treat.

I wasn’t sure what my kids would think of meringue cookies in their lunches this week, if it’s too “sophisticated” for a school lunch or not.

But, guess what. It doesn’t matter. We ate these cookies in less than 24 hours. The recipe made about 60 little rosettes, but that didn’t stop us. Every time I walked by the bowl this weekend, I grabbed one. I wasn’t the only one either, honest, I had help polishing these off! We hosted Bible Study in our home on Sunday night and that was the last straw. They were gone.

Looks like I’ll be back to the cookie baking drawing board today!

So now, I sit here on Monday, writing about these delicious cookies that I can no longer snack on.

Have you made meringue cookies before? They seriously are so easy! Here are a few tricks that I use when making meringues:

• Bake them at a low temperature for a long time. I usually do 200 degrees for 80 minutes.
  • Use parchment paper! Easy to clean up, and mine never get browned bottoms.
  • Once done baking, turn oven off and let them set in the oven for hours. I usually make them in the evening, then let them sit in the oven overnight.
  • Don’t bake on a humid day. Don’t store them when it’s humid in your house.
  • Use JELL-O gelatin powder to add color and flavor (I usually add in a couple tablespoons of the powder).
  • Add your food coloring before beating to stiff peaks. It helps distribute it more evenly. I also find gel food coloring works better than liquid.
  • Use a pastry bag and tip for swirls and roses. Or use a spoon and drop by tablespoon onto parchment paper. You decide.
  • Use chocolate almond bark, Candiquik, or melting wafers for dipping your meringues. It sets up quick and doesn’t change the texture of your meringue.

Facebook | Twitter | Google+

Pinterest | instagram | Bloglovin’

Save your favorite recipes to your personal recipe box with the     button on all my recipes! Create a Meal Plan with your “favorited” recipes and the ingredients will automatically be added to your own Grocery List!

Chocolate Mint Meringues

Prep Time: 4 hours

Cook Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes

Yield: 60 small cookies

• 4 egg whites, room temperature
  • 1 Tbsp white vinegar
  • 1 Tbsp cornstarch
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 3/4 tsp peppermint extract
  • 1 drop green food coloring, gel
  • 6 oz chocolate Candiquik, melted

1. In a clean, dry mixing bowl, whisk the egg whites for 30 seconds until frothy.
  2. Add in vinegar and cornstarch, whisk with electric mixer for 1 minute. While beating, slowly add the sugar in a steady stream. Add peppermint extract and food coloring.
  3. Beat for 4 minutes on high until stiff peaks form.
  4. Spoon into a large pastry bag with tip, pipe on parchment paper lined baking sheets.
  5. Bake in a 200 degree oven for 80 minutes. Turn oven off and allow meringues to set 4 hours or overnight.
  6. Once set, dip into melted chocolate and return to parchment paper to set. ENJOY.

Some of our favorite Cookies for lunches:

Chocolate Chip cookies with Mint buttercream filling!

Maple Toffee Cookies. Chewy and delicious!

Lemon, Orange, and Lime Cookies: I love these chewy citrus cookies!

More favorite COOKIE recipes from my favorite blogs….

48 Responses to “Chocolate Mint Meringues”

1. posted Mar 10, 2014 at 1:19 pm

These meringues turned out so beautiful Aimee! I love the color and all those fabulous tips! Pinned and added to my roundup :)

2. posted Mar 10, 2014 at 1:47 pm

Can’t wait to make these…I just need to restock on peppermint extract!!!

3. posted Mar 10, 2014 at 2:20 pm

The light green and dark chocolate are so pretty! I always like how fancy these cookies look, yet they really aren’t too hard to make. Time to head to the store!

4. posted Mar 10, 2014 at 2:55 pm

These meringues look absolutely incredible! I am definitely in an Irish kinda mood now!

5. posted Mar 10, 2014 at 3:53 pm

My grandmother always called meringues “kisses” I loved them growing up. These looks so good. brings me back to childhood.

6. posted Mar 10, 2014 at 5:16 pm

Ha! I was going to make these and forgot. Glad I didn’t, yours are so pretty!

7. posted Mar 10, 2014 at 5:20 pm

I have never made meringue cookies before but I ADORE chocolate mint and these are totally adorbs..looks like I gotta try! Pinned!

• posted Mar 10, 2014 at 9:46 pm

Ummm, say what? NEVER made meringues? You better get on that!

8. posted Mar 10, 2014 at 5:23 pm

Love these little meringue cookies! I need to make them more!

9. posted Mar 10, 2014 at 5:47 pm

i LOVE meringues!! The mint flavoring is so perfect in these!

10. posted Mar 10, 2014 at 7:33 pm

You know what? I’ve never made meringues. And that must be remedied. With THIS recipe-they look so perfect, melt-in-your mouth DELICIOUS!

• posted Mar 10, 2014 at 9:43 pm

Seriously? You better get in your kitchen tonight!!

11. posted Mar 10, 2014 at 9:27 pm

My hubby was walking by as I was looking at this and I said, look at those meringues I think I need to make some! He said oh yeah!! It’s one of his favorite kinds of sweets! These look great Aimee!

12. posted Mar 11, 2014 at 6:45 am

These would be darn cute for St. Patrick’s Day! Love – they look absolutely delicious.

13. posted Mar 11, 2014 at 8:14 am

I made meringues for the first time this past Christmas… I think I need to give them another try with these flavors! YUM!

• posted Mar 12, 2014 at 6:02 pm

Too fun! I would make meringues every day….but then I would have to make lemon curd every day to use the yolks, LOL.

14. posted Mar 11, 2014 at 9:22 am

I have to admit I am in the “never baked meringues before” club too! I love how the soft green color is accented with the dark chocolate coating. They look gorgeous and I can see why they didn’t last very long!

15. posted Mar 11, 2014 at 9:41 am

These meringues turned out so beautiful Aimee! I am always craving for chocolate and mint and love the color of these rosettes! They look super pretty with the dipped chocolate :)

16. posted Mar 11, 2014 at 9:55 am

These are so pretty, and I can’t get enough of that chocolate mint combo!

17. posted Mar 11, 2014 at 10:53 am

These cookies are adorable! I could see where they would be so easy to just keep popping in your mouth! YUM! Pinned :)

18. Jessica
    posted Mar 11, 2014 at 11:52 am

This look wonderful! When you say “turn the oven off and let set 4 hours or overnight”- do you mean, leave them in the oven to set?

• posted Mar 12, 2014 at 6:03 pm

Yep! I leave them in there all night on the baking sheets. Dries them to a nice crunchy shell….

19. posted Mar 11, 2014 at 12:52 pm

So I know we aren’t friends becausw of the shamrock shake incident 😉 but can I tell you I would have freaking LOVED to see fancy, gorgeous meringues in my lunch box?!? I WOULD HAVE BEEN THE COOLEST KID EVER. Well, I probably needed more than fancy cookies for that, but you get the idea. :)

20. posted Mar 12, 2014 at 1:39 am

These are gorgeous, I am actually scheduled to make meringue cookies tomorrow I promised a friend but she might have to wait until thursday so I can let them cool over night! I really enjoyed your tips!! Thank you :)

• posted Mar 12, 2014 at 3:35 pm

Thanks Elizabeth. Definitely giving them the “dry out time” helps!!! ENJOY.

21. posted Mar 13, 2014 at 9:39 am

I heart these little cookies, Aimee! I shared on G+ and pinned. And I happen to have some egg whites that need using up…

22. posted Mar 13, 2014 at 11:25 am

these look yummy!

23. posted Mar 17, 2014 at 3:35 pm

these look AWESOME, seriously. You need to move into my house – you always have the best dessert ideas.

24. ginny
    posted Mar 17, 2014 at 5:53 pm

Have never made meringue cookies before. Tried your recipe today. Wonder how to store them after they are done setting in the oven for four hours. Do they ship well? Thank you.

25. posted Mar 26, 2014 at 3:44 am

Thanks for the great meringue tips, Amy. I definitely want to try these. I wonder, though, how humid is too humid? My kitchen can get pretty warm, but I don’t think Hawaii is as humid as some other places I’ve lived in. I guess I’ll just have to give it a shot. Luckily, I have plenty of eggs.

• posted Mar 26, 2014 at 8:27 am

Hmmm, warm is okay, humid is not. As for what level of humidity, I’m not sure. Keeping them in the oven to set usually helps. And eating them all immediately after setting helps too :)

26. Felicia
    posted Apr 2, 2014 at 2:20 pm

I don’t normally post comments on blogs, but feel I should thank you! I have never gotten meringues right before this, your instructions made it all possible so that for once I don’t have piles of mush. Thank you!!

• posted Apr 3, 2014 at 10:50 am

I’m so glad to hear this!!! Now you can experiment with other flavors!!

27. Tiffany
    posted Apr 3, 2014 at 6:43 pm

How important is the cornstarch? I’ve never made meringues before, and I have everything else on hand to make these – even cacao chips to melt down. :)

• posted Apr 4, 2014 at 9:47 am

I always use it. I heard it keeps them from “weeping.”

28. Pingback: Mint Chocolate Cookie Cups - Life Love and Sugar