Chocolate Mint Meringues
One of my favorite flavor combinations ever: Chocolate Mint! Meringue cookies are so easy to make, and so versatile too!
Be sure to follow me on Bloglovin’
There is something so special about meringue cookies. I don’t remember eating them in childhood (although I’ve heard from many of you that your grandmother’s always made them). I know for ME, they are just melt in your mouth perfect.
Making cookies for the week is something I try to do regularly. My kids like to have a “treat’ in their lunch sacks every day. Cookies are the obvious choice for that treat.
I wasn’t sure what my kids would think of meringue cookies in their lunches this week, if it’s too “sophisticated” for a school lunch or not.
But, guess what. It doesn’t matter. We ate these cookies in less than 24 hours. The recipe made about 60 little rosettes, but that didn’t stop us. Every time I walked by the bowl this weekend, I grabbed one. I wasn’t the only one either, honest, I had help polishing these off! We hosted Bible Study in our home on Sunday night and that was the last straw. They were gone.
Looks like I’ll be back to the cookie baking drawing board today!
So now, I sit here on Monday, writing about these delicious cookies that I can no longer snack on.
Have you made meringue cookies before? They seriously are so easy! Here are a few tricks that I use when making meringues:
- Bake them at a low temperature for a long time. I usually do 200 degrees for 80 minutes.
- Use parchment paper! Easy to clean up, and mine never get browned bottoms.
- Once done baking, turn oven off and let them set in the oven for hours. I usually make them in the evening, then let them sit in the oven overnight.
- Don’t bake on a humid day. Don’t store them when it’s humid in your house.
- Use JELL-O gelatin powder to add color and flavor (I usually add in a couple tablespoons of the powder).
- Add your food coloring before beating to stiff peaks. It helps distribute it more evenly. I also find gel food coloring works better than liquid.
- Use a pastry bag and tip for swirls and roses. Or use a spoon and drop by tablespoon onto parchment paper. You decide.
- Use chocolate almond bark, Candiquik, or melting wafers for dipping your meringues. It sets up quick and doesn’t change the texture of your meringue.
Connect with Shugary Sweets! Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Save your favorite recipes to your personal recipe box with the button on all my recipes! Create a Meal Plan with your “favorited” recipes and the ingredients will automatically be added to your own Grocery List!
Chocolate Mint Meringues
Yield: 60 small cookies
Prep Time: 4 hours
Cook Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
- 4 egg whites, room temperature
- 1 Tbsp white vinegar
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 drop green food coloring, gel
- 6 oz chocolate Candiquik, melted
- In a clean, dry mixing bowl, whisk the egg whites for 30 seconds until frothy.
- Add in vinegar and cornstarch, whisk with electric mixer for 1 minute. While beating, slowly add the sugar in a steady stream. Add peppermint extract and food coloring.
- Beat for 4 minutes on high until stiff peaks form.
- Spoon into a large pastry bag with tip, pipe on parchment paper lined baking sheets.
- Bake in a 200 degree oven for 80 minutes. Turn oven off and allow meringues to set 4 hours or overnight.
- Once set, dip into melted chocolate and return to parchment paper to set. ENJOY.
MAKING THIS RECIPE? Share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #ShugarySweets so I can see what you're cooking up in the kitchen!
Some of our favorite Cookies for lunches:
Maple Toffee Cookies. Chewy and delicious!
Lemon, Orange, and Lime Cookies: I love these chewy citrus cookies!
More favorite COOKIE recipes from my favorite blogs….
- Chocolate Chip Rolo Cookies from I Heart Naptime
- Peanut Butter m&m Cookies from Fifteen Spatulas
- Chocolate Crunch Pudding Cookies from Inside BruCrew Life
- Italian Almond Cookies from Munchkin Munchies
**There may be affiliate links in this post! By clicking on them, or purchasing recommended items I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I love! Thank you for supporting Shugary Sweets! See my disclosure policy for more info**