Butternut Squash Black Bean Enchiladas

by aimee @ shugarysweets on April 4, 2014

Looking for a meatless dinner idea that doesn’t leave you hungry? These Butternut Squash and Black Bean Enchiladas are your answer for a delicious, filling weeknight dinner idea!

Be sure to follow me on Bloglovin’

Butternut Squash Black Bean Enchiladas...delicious vegetarian dinner idea full of flavor, even the meat eaters will love it

Several years ago I went to a women’s retreat and one of the husband’s delivered a dinner to us. When I heard it was vegetarian enchiladas, I’ll be honest, my heart sunk a little.

I love meat. I really do. Dinner doesn’t feel complete without some sort of meat.

But, I also love eating healthy. So while we try to only eat red meat once a week, we do eat a lot of chicken.

After one bite of those vegetarian enchiladas I was smitten. I was in love. I was head over heels in love.

Of course, like any foolish girl in love, I don’t remember why I was in love, but I remember BEING in love.

The idea of making meat free enchiladas has been in the back of my mind for some time. Then my husband came home from Costco with a container of cubed and peeled butternut squash. Enchiladas immediately came to mind!

YOU GUYS. I could have seriously eaten the entire pan by myself. These were so amazing, I don’t even know what to say. I roasted the squash to get it soft and caramelized. Best decision ever. Depending on the season, you can really add any of your favorite veggies here. Zucchini would have been tasty, as would sweet potatoes. But of course, I’m a bit partial to the butternut squash and black bean combo! It was so comforting, and I honestly did not miss eating meat in this dish.

So if you’re looking to try some meatless Monday meals…or if it’s Lent and you want to make a meatless Friday dish. Or if you’re just looking for comfort food, make this dinner. You’re welcome.

Facebook | Twitter | Google+

Pinterest | instagram | Bloglovin’

Save your favorite recipes to your personal recipe box with the     button on all my recipes! Create a Meal Plan with your “favorited” recipes and the ingredients will automatically be added to your own Grocery List!

Butternut Squash Black Bean Enchiladas

Yield: serves 8

• 4 cup butternut squash, peeled and diced
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 3 cloves garlic, pressed
  • 1/2 medium onion, diced
  • 1 can (15oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 2 cup green enchilada sauce, divided
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 cup jack cheese, shredded
  • 8 flour tortillas

1. In a large bowl, mix squash with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic and onion. Pour onto a large baking sheet and roast in a 450 degree oven for about 20 minutes, turning halfway through.
  2. Return roasted veggies to a large bowl and combine with black beans and cumin.
  3. In a 13x9 baking dish, pour 1/4 cup enchilada sauce in bottom of pan to keep tortillas from sticking. Fill each tortilla with squash mixture and place in baking dish. Repeat until all filling is used and tortillas are lined up in dish. Pour remaining sauce over top of tortillas and top with shredded cheese. Cover and bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 10 minutes to melt cheese.
  4. Serve and enjoy!

Notes

**You can use corn tortillas if you choose, my family prefers flour**

LOVE Enchiladas? I’ve got a few ideas for you….

skinnyenchiladas-685x1024

Slow Cooker Beef Enchiladas

beef-enchilada-rollups-2

Beef Enchilada Roll ups….pasta meets enchiladas in this delicious family dinner!

beef-enchilada-mac-and-cheese-4-685x1024

Beef Enchilada Mac and Cheese… cheesy macaroni with beef and enchilada flavor! Yum!

Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness April 4, 2014 at 7:03 am

Yes please! I ADORE butternut squash, but I have never had it for breakfast. I cannot think of a better way to start the day! Pinned

aimee @ shugarysweets April 4, 2014 at 9:29 am

Yes, leftovers for breakfast would be perfect :) Thanks for pinning!!

Chloe @ foodlikecake April 4, 2014 at 7:08 am

Those sound amazing! I love the use of butternut squash :-)
Chloe @ foodlikecake recently posted..Green Apple CupcakesMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets April 4, 2014 at 9:29 am

Thank you Chloe, they really added a natural sweetness, combined with the spicy enchilada sauce it was a perfect meal :)

Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) April 4, 2014 at 10:38 am

These enchiladas are serious works of art! The butternut squash addition is so brilliant!

aimee @ shugarysweets April 4, 2014 at 11:13 pm

Thanks Jocelyn. Maybe not works of art, but definitely delicious!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Butternut Squash Black Bean EnchiladasMy Profile

Mary Frances April 4, 2014 at 10:43 am

I’m always afraid I’ll be hungry after a meatless meal … although beans have converted me! The squash is a great addition!
Mary Frances recently posted..Tiramisu BrowniesMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets April 4, 2014 at 11:13 pm

I totally agree. The black beans do help with fiber, and the squash is just so tasty being roasted! oh, and the cheese :)

Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet April 4, 2014 at 11:55 am

We gave up red meat for lent…I miss it! But I am loving all of the dishes I have been trying to make without it! This would be perfect for us!
Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet recently posted..Vegetable Tortilla CupsMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets April 4, 2014 at 11:14 pm

Glad you like it Nancy, let me know if you try it :)

Averie @ Averie Cooks April 4, 2014 at 1:17 pm

I love that they’re vegetarian and that even though you’re totally not a vegetarian, that you can totally get behind this. Awesome. Pinned!

aimee @ shugarysweets April 4, 2014 at 11:15 pm

I can pretty much get behind anything that tastes great. Life is too short for crappy tasting food :)

Tanya April 4, 2014 at 2:03 pm

This sounds so good. I have never heard of the combo of black beans and squash. This is on my bucket list of things to try now.
Tanya recently posted..Keys to Attracting Top TalentMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets April 4, 2014 at 11:15 pm

Let me know if you do! You may be surprised how well they go together :)

Jocelyn @BruCrew Life April 4, 2014 at 3:30 pm

I am definitely very intrigued by these enchiladas. The roasted caramelized butternut squash has my attention for sure!!!
Jocelyn @BruCrew Life recently posted..Chocolate Biscoff Swirl CookiesMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets April 4, 2014 at 11:16 pm

What? Not the cheese?

marcie April 4, 2014 at 6:01 pm

I’d be so into these, Aimee! I love roasted butternut squash, and it tastes so great with black beans! I’d love this for dinner tonight. :)
marcie recently posted..Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal CupsMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets April 4, 2014 at 11:18 pm

Thanks Marcie!!! I wish you had it for dinner too :)

Jess @ On Sugar Mountain April 4, 2014 at 7:03 pm

Bahahaha I also love meat. I really really do. But butternut squash is fab, and so are black beans! AND SO ARE THESE ENCHILADASSSS! Mmmmmm. Who know meatless could be so mouthwatering? ;)
Jess @ On Sugar Mountain recently posted..Sensationally Sweet Spring Recipe Roundup!My Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets April 4, 2014 at 11:19 pm

Indeed!! Mouthwatering is the perfect word. I seriously could not stop eating!!

Cate @ Chez CateyLou April 5, 2014 at 9:44 pm

Veggies can really be just as good (or better!) than meat! This looks amazing!! I love butternut squash – such a great idea to put it in an enchilada!
Cate @ Chez CateyLou recently posted..Jacob’s Pickles – NYCMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets April 6, 2014 at 8:10 pm

Thanks Cate. So very true!!!

kari April 9, 2014 at 2:07 pm

I just bought that exact pkg of squash from costco and was trying to decide what to do with it! So excited to make these!

aimee @ shugarysweets April 10, 2014 at 6:26 pm

Oh Kari, I hope you make this!!! I REALLY loved it!

Cookie May 17, 2014 at 5:57 pm

These sound incredible! At first I was thinking these were sweet potato black bean enchiladas, which would be totally amazing as well. I’d love to try these sometime :)