Butternut Squash Black Bean Enchiladas
Looking for a meatless dinner idea that doesn’t leave you hungry? These Butternut Squash and Black Bean Enchiladas are your answer for a delicious, filling weeknight dinner idea!
Several years ago I went to a women’s retreat and one of the husband’s delivered a dinner to us. When I heard it was vegetarian enchiladas, I’ll be honest, my heart sunk a little.
I love meat. I really do. Dinner doesn’t feel complete without some sort of meat.
But, I also love eating healthy. So while we try to only eat red meat once a week, we do eat a lot of chicken.
After one bite of those vegetarian enchiladas I was smitten. I was in love. I was head over heels in love.
Of course, like any foolish girl in love, I don’t remember why I was in love, but I remember BEING in love.
How to make Vegetarian Enchiladas
The idea of making meat free enchiladas has been in the back of my mind for some time. Then my husband came home from Costco with a container of cubed and peeled butternut squash. Enchiladas immediately came to mind!
YOU GUYS. I could have seriously eaten the entire pan by myself. These were so amazing, I don’t even know what to say.
I roasted the squash to get it soft and caramelized. Best decision ever.
Depending on the season, you can really add any of your favorite veggies here.
Zucchini would have been tasty, as would sweet potatoes.
But of course, I’m a bit partial to the butternut squash and black bean combo! It was so comforting, and I honestly did not miss eating meat in this dish.
So if you’re looking to try some meatless Monday meals…or if it’s Lent and you want to make a meatless Friday dish. Or if you’re just looking for comfort food, make this dinner. You’re welcome.
LOVE Enchiladas? I’ve got a few ideas for you….
Beef Enchilada Roll ups….pasta meets enchiladas in this delicious family dinner!
Beef Enchilada Mac and Cheese… cheesy macaroni with beef and enchilada flavor! Yum!
Connect with Shugary Sweets!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #shugarysweets so I can see all the wonderful SHUGARY SWEETS recipes YOU make!
I created a fun little group on facebook and I’d love for you to join in! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new with Shugary Sweets (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Looking for a meatless dinner idea that doesn't leave you hungry? These Butternut Squash and Black Bean Enchiladas are your answer for a delicious, filling weeknight dinner idea!
- 4 cup butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 can (15oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cup green enchilada sauce, divided
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 cup jack cheese, shredded
- 8 flour tortillas
- In a large bowl, mix squash with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic and onion. Pour onto a large baking sheet and roast in a 450 degree oven for about 20 minutes, turning halfway through.
- Return roasted veggies to a large bowl and combine with black beans and cumin.
- In a 13x9 baking dish, pour 1/4 cup enchilada sauce in bottom of pan to keep tortillas from sticking. Fill each tortilla with squash mixture and place in baking dish. Repeat until all filling is used and tortillas are lined up in dish. Pour remaining sauce over top of tortillas and top with shredded cheese.
- Cover and bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 10 minutes to melt cheese.
- Serve and enjoy!
- You can use corn tortillas if you choose, my family prefers flour
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 344 Total Fat: 12g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 14mg Sodium: 837mg Carbohydrates: 48g Fiber: 8g Sugar: 5g Protein: 11g
**There may be affiliate links in this post! By clicking on them, or purchasing recommended items I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I love! Thank you for supporting Shugary Sweets! See my disclosure policy for more info**