Looking for a delicious, from scratch spice cupcake recipe? These Cinnamon Spice Cupcakes with sweet cinnamon buttercream frosting are homemade and absolutely wonderful!
I don’t know about you, but I love spice cakes. I know in the grocery store you can pick up a box mix for $1, but have you ever tried making one at home?
A few years ago I made this Eggnog Cheesecake Cake and baked a from scratch spice cake for the base. It was fantastic. And while I have used that cake many times in recipes, I hadn’t made spice cake cupcakes.
These cupcakes have such a moist crumb, and I topped them with a sweet cinnamon buttercream frosting. I also added some cinnamon chips as a garnish (best decision ever)!!
My oldest daughter is a competitive swimmer, and she will usually give me less than a 24 hour notice when she wants to bring treats to the team. Cupcakes are usually my go-to treat as they are easy to make and easy to travel. Plus this recipe makes 2 1/2 dozen cupcakes!
A couple tips about making my buttercream frosting:
- Always start with softened butter. I usually take my butter out when I start baking the cupcakes. By the time the cupcakes are baked and cooled my butter is ready for making the frosting!
- Using an electric mixer, add your softened butter to the bowl and beat the butter for about 3 minutes. The butter will be soft, smooth, and pale in color. THEN add the remaining ingredients and beat for an additional 3-5 minutes.
- This is enough frosting to do a nice swirl on each cupcake. Use a disposable pastry bag and tip of choice to decorate. Be sure to sprinkle with the cinnamon chips immediately so they stick and not fall off!
Connect with Shugary Sweets! Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Love cupcakes? You’ve come to the right place. Here are a few of my favorites:
Copycat Hostess Cupcakes: rich, decadent chocolate cupcakes that are better than your favorite childhood treat!
Cranberry Poke Cake Cupcakes with an easy, sugared cranberry recipe too!
White Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter frosting! You’re going to want this one!
If you love today’s cupcake recipe, check out some of these recipes from my friends:
- Reeses Pieces Cupcakes from Your Cup of Cake
- Apple Spice Cupcakes from Fake Ginger
- Caramel Apple Cupcakes from The Gunny Sack
- Milky Way Bar Cupcakes from Taste and Tell
**This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. See my disclosure policy for more info**