The Best Lemon Crumb Coffee Cake Recipe
Bite after bite this Lemon Crumb Coffee Cake is a magical breakfast. Sweet lemon cake with a lemon cheesecake filling, crumbly streusel topping and a lemon glaze. Not for the faint of heart!
Click HERE to save recipe to Pinterest
Mother Nature is playing a nasty trick on us this week, in the Midwest. We just enjoyed beautiful 70 degree, sunny days! And now today, as I look at the temperature reading of 37 degrees with a wind advisory (welcome to Chicago!), I can’t help but want to curl up with a good book and cup of coffee.
Granted, I pretty much want to do that on sunny days too! (If you follow me on instagram, you’ll see my behind the scenes of the blog…haha, me enjoying a book and the sun)!
You know what would make the moment complete?
A big slice of this Lemon Crumb Coffee Cake. My family knows I have a weakness for breakfast cakes. I can pass on the cookies and brownies, usually with a little will power….but coffee cakes? Game over.
How to make Lemon Crumb Coffee Cake
I used my favorite Cream Cheese Coffee Cake as my inspiration! But knowing that I will be in Hawaii in one month, I made a smaller batch.
Instead of a big 13 x 9, or two round cake pans…I created the recipe to only make one small lonely cake. If I didn’t already have a freezer full of pastries…I would have doubled the recipe and put one in the freezer after baking! They are so nice to have on hand, especially as summer comes and I don’t want to turn on the oven, but I’ll still want breakfast cakes.
That’s the thing about this recipe. It’s cake. That is TOTALLY acceptable to eat for breakfast. It’s encouraged. And, it’s meant to be eaten with a hot cup of coffee. No wonder I have a weakness, right?
Anyway, this cake would be perfect for Mother’s Day. Or Father’s Day. Or graduation parties. Or Saturday breakfast. Or an afternoon snack, today. You get the idea!! ENJOY!
You could also serve it with a little bowl of homemade lemon curd. Tasty!
If you love lemon, check these out:
Lemon Biscotti: crunchy, sweet, and perfect with a hot cup of coffee!
Lemon Loaf: move over Starbucks, I’ve got my own lemon bread!
Lemon Chia Cake: healthy and delicious, the perfect start to your day!
I created a fun little group on facebook and I’d love for you to join in! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new with Shugary Sweets (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #shugarysweets so I can see all the wonderful SHUGARY SWEETS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Shugary Sweets!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Thick Lemon Crumb Cake with a cheesecake filling! Perfect for breakfast or dessert.
For the cake:
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup milk
For the filling:
- 1 package (8oz) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 lemon, zested
For the streusel:
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
For the glaze:
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp milk
- For the cake, grease and flour a 9-inch springform pan. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt on low until combined. Beat in softened butter until crumbly. Add in eggs, vanilla extract, lemon juice and milk. Beat for about 3-4 minutes until light and fluffy. Pour into prepared pan.
- For the filling, beat cream cheese with sugar, egg and lemon zest for about 4-5 minutes. Pour over cake layer, being careful to not let it touch the sides of the pan.
- In a small bowl, combine streusel ingredients with a fork. Sprinkle over top of cake. Bake in a 325 degree oven for about 38-42 minutes. Cool completely in pan. When cooled, release from springform pan.
- Whisk together the glaze ingredients until smooth. Drizzle over cooled cake. Serve and enjoy! I like to refrigerate this cake before serving!
** Some people have commented that there is too much streusel for their liking. I personally LOVE the extra crumble on top. Feel free to cut the streusel toppings in half if you prefer.**
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 600 Total Fat: 26g Saturated Fat: 15g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 9g Cholesterol: 135mg Sodium: 274mg Carbohydrates: 84g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 50g Protein: 8g
Recipe originally published April 23, 2015
**There may be affiliate links in this post! By clicking on them, or purchasing recommended items I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I love! Thank you for supporting Shugary Sweets! See my disclosure policy for more info**