Sweet and lightly spiced Cinnamon Apple Bread is pure homemade comfort in loaf form. Packed with fresh apples and cinnamon sugar filling, this sweet bread is topped with a vanilla icing!
Apple Bread Recipe
Do you have any apple dessert lovers in your life?
I think I’m that person to my friends and family. Yes, I love just about all desserts and sweet things (I have a whole blog about them, after all) but I have soft spot in my heart for treats involving apples.
These two ingredients were simply made for each other, and there’s no better way to enjoy them than slicing into a loaf of Apple Cinnamon Bread.
Fancy desserts like Cinnamon Apple Cheesecake Parfaits and Cinnamon Apple Crumb Cake tend to steal all the limelight in the apple-cinnamon world.
- Apple bread made with real pieces of apple folded into the batter doesn’t get nearly the attention it deserves.
- With a vanilla icing on top and plenty of cinnamon, this Apple Cinnamon Loaf is easily one of my favorite quick breads.
- I’ve even got tips below on how to make this into muffins!
- All-purpose Flour– no fancy flour needed! Make sure to measure the flour correctly, using our tips and tricks!
- Sugars- you’ll need granulated sugar for the bread, brown sugar for the filling, and powdered sugar for the glaze!
- Unsalted Butter- if you use salted butter, it will still turn out great.
- Vanilla Extract- use a pure vanilla, or make your own using my homemade vanilla extract recipe!
- Apples- I like to use granny smith or golden delicious in this recipe. The more tart the apple the better, since there is plenty of sweetness to balance the apple flavor. Be sure to dice the apple small.
Step by Step Instructions
- Prepare the Bread Batter. Combine wet ingredients, then dry ingredients.
- Dice the Apple. Peel and core one large apple then dice into small chunks. You should have about 1 cup worth of apple.
- Cinnamon Sugar Mixture. Mix together a bowl of brown sugar and cinnamon and set aside.
- Assemble. Pour half the batter into a prepared bread pan (use baking spray or my homemade cake release). Cover with half of the diced apples (press them slightly into the batter). Sprinkle with half of brown sugar and cinnamon mixture. Pour the remaining batter over apple layer; top with remaining apples and add more brown sugar/cinnamon mixture. Pat topping into the batter with the back of a large spoon.
- Bake for 50 minutes in the oven at 350 degrees (or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean). Cool the bread in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Make the icing.In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar, vanilla and milk. Whisk everything together until smooth. Drizzle the icing over the cooled bread and allow to set, about 15 minutes. ENJOY.
- Make sure the bread is cooled entirely before you pour the icing on top. If the bread is warm the icing will melt and not set on top.
- Don’t stress too much about getting every piece of apple exactly uniform. While you want the apple pieces roughly the same size a little variety is just fine, as they get baked right into the bread.
- If you won’t be serving the apple cinnamon bread immediately, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap to keep it moist.
My kids and I enjoy this bread for breakfasts, snacks and even as a dessert alongside a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
If you want a little less sweetness in your apple cake, I suppose you could leave off the icing. I, however, love what it adds to the bread in both taste and appearance.
How to Make Muffins
I love that this delicious bread can also be made into muffins! This recipe will make about 14 regular size muffins.
- Pre-heat oven to 350℉. Line regular muffin tin with liners or spray with baking spray. Set aside.
- Put 1 Tablespoon of batter in the bottom of each muffin well.
- Top the batter with a layer of about ½ Tablespoon of diced apples. Sprinkle about ½ Tablespoon of brown sugar and cinnamon mix over the apples.
- Top with another Tablespoon of batter and another ½ Tablespoon of brown sugar mix.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until tops of muffins have browned and are set.
- Cool muffins completely in the tin.
- Remove muffins from the tin and drizzle with icing.
Yes, apple bread freezes beautifully! You can freeze the loaf whole or cut it into slices to freeze it in individual portions. Thaw completely in the refrigerator or on the counter top before warming slightly to serve.
I like a tart apple like Granny Smith or Golden Delicious in this apple bread recipe. However, any kind of apple you like baking with will taste great in this bread.
Nope. Keep wrapped at room temperature. However, it is delicious served cold (or warm)!
More Easy Dessert Recipes
All the good flavors of apples and cinnamon baked into moist and sweet loaf of Apple bread.