Sweet and lightly spiced Cinnamon Apple Bread is pure homemade comfort in loaf form. Topped with a sweet vanilla frosting!
Do you have any apple dessert lovers in your life?
I think I’m that person to my friends and family. Yes, I love just about all desserts and sweet things (I have a whole blog about them, after all) but I have soft spot in my heart for treats involving apples.
Apple cinnamon baked goods might make you think of falling leaves and crisp autumn temperatures but, in my opinion, apple desserts are appropriate any time of year.
These two ingredients were simply made for each other, and there’s no better way to enjoy them than slicing into a loaf of Apple Cinnamon Bread.
Apple bread made with real pieces of apple folded into the batter doesn’t get nearly the attention it deserves.
With a vanilla icing on top and plenty of cinnamon, this Apple Cinnamon Loaf is easily one of my favorite quick breads.
It’s a great treat to bring to parties and gatherings and also makes a fantastic hostess gift.
Believe me, no one will turn down a loaf of homemade apple bread, especially when it’s glazed with a sweet vanilla icing!
A slice of apple cinnamon bread with a hot cup of coffee first thing in the morning is all the motivation I need to get myself out of bed.
Any bread that’ll get me up and moving on sleepy days is a bread I need to have around.
Apple Cinnamon Bread Recipe
This bread is delicious all on its own. The icing on top is, well. . . just the icing on top. It adds a sweet crust to each bite and locks in the moisture of the apples.
While this bread looks and tastes impressive, it’s a simple recipe that comes together in just about an hour.
STEP 1. Prepare the Bread Batter
In a large mixing bowl, combine granulated sugar and butter until smooth. Add eggs and vanilla and continue to beat on medium speed until combined.
Add flour and baking powder, then mix in the milk.
STEP 2. Dice the Apple
Peel and core one large apple then dice into small chunks. You should have about 2 cups worth of apple.
Mix together a bowl of brown sugar and cinnamon and set aside.
STEP 3. Pour and Bake
Pour half the batter into a prepared bread pan (use baking spray or my homemade cake release).
Cover with half of the diced apples (press them slightly into the batter). Sprinkle with half of brown sugar and cinnamon mixture.
Pour the remaining batter over apple layer; top with remaining apples and add more brown sugar/cinnamon mixture.
Pat topping into the batter with the back of a large spoon.
Bake for 50 minutes in the oven at 350 degrees (or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean).
Cool the bread in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
STEP 4. Make the icing
In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar, vanilla and milk. Whisk everything together until smooth.
Drizzle the icing over the cooled bread and allow to set, about 15 minutes. ENJOY.
Pin this now to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite Board
Recipe Notes for Apple Bread
- Make sure the bread is cooled entirely before you pour the icing on top. If the bread is warm the icing will melt and not set on top.
- Don’t stress too much about getting every piece of apple exactly uniform. While you want the apple pieces roughly the same size a little variety is just fine, as they get baked right into the bread.
- I like a tarter apple like Granny Smith or Golden Delicious in this apple bread recipe. However, any kind of apple you like baking with will taste great in this bread.
- If you won’t be serving the apple cinnamon bread immediately, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap to keep it moist.
My kids and I enjoy this bread for breakfasts, snacks and even as a dessert alongside a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
If you want a little less sweetness in your apple cake, I suppose you could leave off the icing. I, however, love what it adds to the bread in both taste and appearance.
Can you freeze apple cinnamon bread?
Yes, apple bread freezes beautifully!
You can freeze the loaf whole or cut it into slices to freeze it in individual portions. (A great option if, like me, you could easily eat a whole loaf of this bread before you know what hits you!)
Thaw completely in the refrigerator or on the counter top before warming slightly to serve.
More Delicious Bread Recipes
Use my hashtag #shugarysweetsFollow Shugary Sweets on Instagram
If you love today’s Apple Bread, here are some more favorite recipes you may enjoy
- Lemon Bars
- Puppy Chow Recipe
- No Bake Cookies
- Apple Dumplings
- S’mores Cheesecake
- Crumb Cake
- Almond Bars
- Instant Pot Cheesecake
Sweet and lightly spiced Cinnamon Apple Bread is pure homemade comfort in loaf form.
For the bread
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 large apple, peeled and finely chopped (about 1 cup apple bits)
For the icing
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.
- In a small bowl,. combine brown sugar and cinnamon together and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine granulated sugar and butter until smooth. Add eggs and vanilla and continue to beat on medium speed until combined.
- Add flour and baking powder, then mix in the milk.
- Pour half the batter into the prepared pan. Cover with half of the diced apples (press them slightly into the batter).
- Sprinkle with half of brown sugar and cinnamon mixture.
- Pour the remaining batter over apple layer; top with remaining apples and add more brown sugar/cinnamon mixture.
- Pat topping into the batter with the back of a large spoon.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the icing ingredients until smooth. Drizzle over cooled bread and allow to set, about 15 minutes. ENJOY.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 317Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 63mgSodium: 100mgCarbohydrates: 52gFiber: 1gSugar: 36gProtein: 4g
*Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietitian for special diet advice.
Recipe originally published January 14, 2011. Photos and recipe notes updated January 2020.
All the good flavors of apples and cinnamon baked into moist and sweet loaf of Apple bread.