This Slow Cooker Apple Cake is as easy as tossing a few ingredients into your crockpot and letting it do it’s thing! Serve it warm with a big scoop of ice cream on top!
Table of Contents
Why This Apple Cake is Best
Did you know you can make cake in your slow cooker? (Have you seen our slow cooker chocolate cake yet??)
- It’s moist and sweet with the perfect amount of cinnamon.
- You only need 5 ingredients for this easy recipe!
- It fills your home with an incredible apple cinnamon aroma.
- A “set it and forget it” cake recipe!
- Delicious on its own or with vanilla ice cream on top.
Slow cooking works wonders on dump cake recipes like this one. The low heat and sealed lid help the fresh apples release plenty of moisture into the batter.
The cake is ultra moist, buttery and full of fall flavor. Wrap yourself in a cozy blanket and enjoy a big bowl of comfort in the form of this apple dump cake.
The ingredients for this cake are simple.
- Yellow cake mix – Just the mix; don’t bake the cake!
- Apples – sliced and peeled is perfect. Use any variety.
- Butter – Adds moisture and a rich flavor.
- Brown sugar – Sweetens the cake and helps it stay soft.
- Cinnamon – Because no apple dessert is complete without it!
Together, these pantry staples create one incredible dessert!
Slow Cooker Apple cake is almost TOO easy to make!
Put apple slices, brown sugar and cinnamon in the crockpot. Sprinkle cake mix over the apples. Pour melted butter on top. Do NOT stir!
Cover and slow cook for 5 hours. Serve and enjoy!
This recipe is so easy that folks are tempted to add extra steps, like stirring or frequently checking the cake as it cooks. Both mistakes will ruin your perfect apple dump cake.
Removing the lid of your slow cooker releases moisture. That’s moisture your cake needs to stay soft and delicious.
And as tempting as it might be to stir the butter into the apples, do not do it. When you stir you disrupt the distribution of ingredients and your apple cake will come out dry and crumbly.
A dollop of fresh whipped cream is another great topping! Try my favorite homemade whipped cream as an alternative to vanilla ice cream. Or serve it with both!
Any apples will work. I recommend tart varieties (like Granny Smith ) to help balance the sweetness of the brown sugar.
Yes you can. On the high setting, the cake will be ready in 2 1/2 hours.
This apple cake tastes best served warm, in my opinion. It also tasted good at room temperature but you can’t beat the combo of warm cake and cold ice cream!
More Easy Desserts:
Slow Cooker Apple Cake
- 4 medium gala apples peeled and sliced
- ½ cup light brown sugar packed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- ½ cup unsalted butter melted
- vanilla ice cream option, for topping
- Lay sliced apple in bottom of crockpot. Add brown sugar and cinnamon and stir until apple are coated evenly.
- Sprinkle cake mix over the top of apples, spreading evenly. Pour melted butter over the top (DO NOT STIR).
- Cover the crockpot and cook on high for 3 hours or low for 6 hours.
- Layer your ingredients in the crockpot, the apples, brown sugar and cinnamon on the bottom. Then top it with a box of yellow cake mix. Pour your butter over the top…DO NOT STIR.
- Do not open during the cook time, as this releases the necessary moisture to keep this cake moist and perfect.
- Serve the cake warm with a big scoop of ice cream or homemade whipped cream!