Beef Enchilada Mac and Cheese

by aimee @ shugarysweets on October 30, 2013

Getting three servings of Dairy each day is a goal for my family. Easy Stovetop Enchilada Mac and Cheese helps meet this goal! Dinner in 30 minutes!

Easy, Stovetop Beef Enchilada Macaroni and Cheese recipe!

I seriously think I have the best job. It can be weird at times. I mean, baking peppermint cookies in October may not be normal for you. Visiting a dairy farm and milking cows, may not be normal either (unless of course you are a farmer)!

A couple weeks ago I got the opportunity to spend a few days with the American Dairy Association, some of my favorite blogger friends, and a few cows. Yep, this city girl went to the farm! But of course we first got to stay in a fun, swanky hotel in downtown Cleveland, Ohio!

wine-and-cheese

Besides being spoiled with a delicious wine and cheese dinner, we learned how to pair the RIGHT wine with the RIGHT cheese. We also had to go to bed early that first night, cause we were getting up in the morning to milk cows.

Cross it off my bucket list, I milked a cow. Well, I guess I’d technically have to put it on my bucket list first, then cross it off. Regardless, I milked her.

cows-and-cheese-1

Our group not only visited two dairy farms (thank you Indoe and Andreas families!), but I learned so much too. All my preconceived notions about cleanliness and care of the cows went out the window. From the little farmer to a big farmer, they really do care for their cows! Happy healthy cows make the best milk!

And the baby calves…oh my they were so cute! I even hand fed one a big bottle of milk. I’ve bottlefed many babies in my life, but this by far was the biggest one day old “baby” and the biggest bottle of milk!

We also made a stop at Pearl Valley Cheese to see the process of cheesemaking (and get some samples of course)! Add in the visit to an Amish home for lunch (something about our big bus just didn’t fit right at their home), and the day would have been complete.

joe and more

But of course, it wasn’t over. We visited the Browns football stadium for a swanky dinner and a chance to meet Joe Thomas (and wife!) and talk about the Fuel Up to Play 60 program! Joe and his wife, Annie are two of the most humble and kind people I had the chance to talk to on this trip!

On the third day, we fought through our exhaustion and went to school. We visited a local school and talked with the principal about school nutrition and how the Fuel up to Play program is helping her students.

Besides eating my weight in cheese over a 3 day period, I also learned quite a bit about the benefits of dairy. I mean, sure we’ve all seen the food pyramid, plates (whatever the new program is), but do we know WHY our bodies need those amounts?

Easy, Stovetop Beef Enchilada Macaroni and Cheese recipe!

PLEASE stop over at the American Dairy Association website to learn more! 3 servings per day. Just do it!

Today’s recipe is a perfect dinner idea. I used lean ground beef, but ground turkey (or even shredded chicken breast) would be delicious too! And it’s made on the stovetop in under 30 minutes!

Growing up we often had hamburger helper, and while I liked it as a kid, they all have the same flavor. This enchilada mac and cheese in filled with real cream, real cheese and real taste! ENJOY!

Easy, Stovetop Beef Enchilada Macaroni and Cheese recipe!

Are you following me on Bloglovin’? It’s my favorite way to keep up with the blogs I want to read!

Connect with Shugary Sweets!

Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Pinterest | instagram | Bloglovin’

Beef Enchilada Mac and Cheese

Rating: 51

Yield: serves 6

• 1lb medium shells, cooked and drained
  • 2 cup heavy cream
  • 2 cup colby jack cheese, shredded
  • 1 can (10oz) red enchilada sauce
  • 1lb ground beef, cooked and drained
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp kosher salt

1. In a large pot (or saucepan), heat cream, enchilada sauce, cumin and salt on medium heat. Whisking often, heat until mixture just begins to bubble. Reduce heat to medium low and add in cheese. Stir until smooth. Mix in the cooked ground beef and the cooked noodles. Serve hot and enjoy immediately!

**This post is written on behalf of the American Dairy Association, Mideast. They provided me the opportunity to tour the farms, receive samples and learn about dairy! All opinions expressed are 100% my own!

marcie October 30, 2013 at 10:05 pm

Looked like a wonderful experience, and this mac and cheese looks extra cheesy and scrumptious!
marcie recently posted..Pumpkin Rolo BlondiesMy Profile

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel October 30, 2013 at 10:18 pm

Seriously yes please! I’m totally obsessed with mac and cheese. The dinner at the stadium must’ve been so cool!
Rachel @ Baked by Rachel recently posted..Baked Coconut Dijon Chicken TendersMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets October 31, 2013 at 7:59 am

It was very cool! Too bad I’m not a big Browns fan ;)

Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet October 30, 2013 at 10:18 pm

This looks so delicious and I love any kind of homemade mac and cheese!!
Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet recently posted..Stuffed Apple Cinnamon SticksMy Profile

Meghan @ The Tasty Fork October 30, 2013 at 10:33 pm

I looooove cheese! I probably get more than my daily amount of dairy just from eating BabyBell Cheese. :) this recipe for Mac n cheese is so fun! I need to try it!!!
Meghan @ The Tasty Fork recently posted..Clean Eating Oven Roasted Tomato and Eggplant SoupMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets October 31, 2013 at 7:58 am

Oh I love babybell too!!!

Stephanie @ PlainChicken October 30, 2013 at 10:44 pm

The mac & cheese looks delicious. I will definitely be giving it a try.

Looks like you had a great time on the trip!
Stephanie @ PlainChicken recently posted..Creole Honey Mustard Chicken SandwichMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets October 31, 2013 at 7:58 am

Thanks Stephanie, it was a big hit it our house! And easy too, which makes it a hit in MY book!

Eva @ Eva Bakes October 31, 2013 at 7:00 am

My 3-year old would go NUTS for this. She wants mac and cheese everything… including pizza and ice cream!
Eva @ Eva Bakes recently posted..Vegan acorn squash muffinsMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets October 31, 2013 at 7:56 am

My kids loved it too Eva! Enjoy!

David @ Spiced October 31, 2013 at 8:15 am

Oh, this looks delicious…even at 8:00am! I love easy weeknight meals!!
David @ Spiced recently posted..Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup BrowniesMy Profile

Erin | The Law Student's Wife October 31, 2013 at 9:29 am

SUCH a fun trip! I love reading everyone’s recaps and reliving our cheesy adventures. Also, the idea of enchiladas and mac n cheese joining forces is totally blowing my mind. Hello comfort food!
Erin | The Law Student’s Wife recently posted..Pumpkin Mac and CheeseMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets November 2, 2013 at 2:15 pm

It was great to finally meet you Erin!!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Easy Chicken Salad WrapsMy Profile

Laura @ Lauras Baking Talent October 31, 2013 at 11:38 am

What a fun trip! This recipe looks great :) Going to have to try it.
Laura @ Lauras Baking Talent recently posted..Pork NachosMy Profile

Nicole @ Young, Broke and Hungry October 31, 2013 at 2:53 pm

Visiting a dairy farm sounds like tons of fun. This beefy mac and cheese is right up my ally!
Nicole @ Young, Broke and Hungry recently posted..Sweet Potato Biscuits with Fried Apples and ProsciuttoMy Profile

Ashley | Spoonful of Flavor October 31, 2013 at 10:13 pm

Sounds like you had a great time on the farm! And this mac and cheese looks so creamy and filling. Now I am hungry :)
Ashley | Spoonful of Flavor recently posted..Snickers Deep Dish Cookie PiesMy Profile

tinasdeliciousdishes.com November 1, 2013 at 11:39 am

Pinned! This looks like one of those great go-to-recipes when you need something tasty in a hurry! I’ll keep this one handy. Great job!!
tinasdeliciousdishes.com recently posted..Pecan PieMy Profile

Jess @ On Sugar Mountain November 2, 2013 at 10:29 am

I have to admit that milking a cow scares me a bit, BUT I would love to feed those baby cows, they are adorable! Oh and this mac and cheese? Brilliant, Aimee! Mac and cheese and enchiladas should have gotten together a LONG time ago heehee. :D
Jess @ On Sugar Mountain recently posted..The Stuffin’ (aka Stuffing Muffins)My Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets November 2, 2013 at 2:16 pm

Yeah, the big cows were a little intimidating. I was seriously just waiting to get pooped on. Fortunately that didn’t happen (to me anyways…). But yes, the baby cows were quite adorable!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Easy Chicken Salad WrapsMy Profile

Renee @ Awesome on $20 November 2, 2013 at 8:29 pm

Wow, that sounds like an amazing trip. I love cheese! This mac looks great!
Renee @ Awesome on $20 recently posted..Sweet Potato GratinMy Profile

Eat Good 4 Life November 4, 2013 at 8:32 pm

This looks awesome. I love the fact that you used 2 cups of heavy cream in this. My followers would kill me…just kidding :-) What a fun trip. Those cows really looked well taken care off!! Lovely post and great recipe!!
Eat Good 4 Life recently posted..Shrimp scampi pizzaMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets November 4, 2013 at 8:34 pm

Yeah, they probably would! You could totally cut it back to skim milk with some thickener (flour/cornstarch) to make it a bit healthier. Or, just come to dinner and your readers would never know ;)
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..65+ Thanksgiving Side DishesMy Profile

Stephanie @ Stephanie's Az kitchen November 24, 2013 at 1:48 am

Great idea for mac & cheese! LOVE LOVE your blog :)
Stephanie @ Stephanie’s Az kitchen recently posted..Thanksgiving at my house – Autumn Northwest Salmon Chowder.My Profile

Layla November 25, 2013 at 10:09 pm

I tried this tonight. It was sooooo delicious! And easy!! My kind of meal!! I liked that it made a lot so there are plenty of leftovers without being so much that we’d be eating it for a month. I also liked how the cream lightened up the flavor enchilada sauce so it wasnt too strong of a flavor. It just came out perfect! I can be quite picky with my foods, so even though recipes look good I always have a little bit of fear going in, afraid it won’t taste as good as I think it will. But your recipe was BETTER than I thought it would be! It will be on regular rotation at my house! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

aimee @ shugarysweets November 26, 2013 at 7:34 am

Oh! Thank you so much for the sweet feedback. I’m so glad you enjoyed the recipe!!!

Jennifer December 2, 2013 at 8:07 pm

This recipe is really good. Tonight I made it with green chile enchilada sauce and jalapeno Jack cheese, then baked it for 30 minds at 375 F with some cheese on top. My husband LOVED it, and so did I!

aimee @ shugarysweets December 3, 2013 at 7:36 am

LOVE that you baked it with extra cheese. And I love green chile enchilada sauce too, great tips Jennifer! Thanks for stopping back with some feedback!!

Jennie @themessybakerblog December 2, 2013 at 9:40 pm

This looks insanely good! I’ll be making this in the near future. Pinned. P.S.- Now I wanna feed a calf.

aimee @ shugarysweets December 3, 2013 at 7:35 am

hahha!! I think everyone should experience feeding a calf, at least once. It was one of the highlights of my trip for sure. That and the cheese.

Anonymous February 3, 2014 at 12:38 pm

Looks delicious, guess we’ll be having this for dinner tonight thanks!

aimee @ shugarysweets February 3, 2014 at 1:27 pm

You’re welcome, enjoy your dinner!

Christy February 17, 2014 at 10:48 pm

I made the beef enchilada mac and cheese tonight and it was delicious and hit with the whole family. Thank You!

aimee @ shugarysweets February 18, 2014 at 8:28 pm

Thank you so much for letting me know! I’m glad you enjoyed the recipe!

Kim February 28, 2014 at 11:26 am

I don’t have cumin, is this a must? Or is there a different spice I can use? It looks delicious, think my picky 5 year old and husband would love it!! :) Thanks!

aimee @ shugarysweets March 2, 2014 at 3:25 pm

It definitely enhances the enchilada flavor. You can skip it, or add in some taco seasoning.

Heather May 23, 2014 at 11:23 am

We stayed in the same hotel in February of this year, absolutely georgeous. I too ate my weight in food that weekend but it was from some of the wonderful restaurants in the area. I’m trying this recipe tonight I think.

Catherine September 6, 2014 at 5:28 pm

Made it! It was delicious! Even my picky eater ate it!