Spooky Brookies

by aimee @ shugarysweets on October 22, 2013

A rich fudgy layer of Brownies topped with Halloween Oreos and Chocolate Chip cookie dough. Ever feel like somebody’s watching you??

Spooky Brookies: layer of brownies with Halloween oreos, chocolate chip cookie dough and edible "eyes"

Swim season is in full swing this fall. And now I have two swimmers. And of course, some people think that should make it easier, to have my kids doing the same sport. But no. Because of their age difference they not only swim different times, but also different locations for meets.

So this weekend I think I drew the short straw. While my husband got to go with our youngest to her FIRST meet, I went to Louisville for the weekend with our oldest daughter.

Saturday my husband texted me at 10am, his meet was over. Mine hadn’t even started.

However, the best thing about swim meets out of town is I get to hang out with the other swim moms. And laugh. And laugh. And laugh some more!

So when it was time to pull out the desserts (yes we always have dessert at a swim meet), I brought the Spooky Brookies.

And they were gone quite quickly. My good friend Susan was talking about her favorite movie, When Harry Met Sally. As she took a few bites of the Spooky Brookies, she said, “Does anybody else feel a moan coming on??”

Yes. That’s how good these are!

Plus, unlike the other Brookies on the site here, these are total CHEATER Brookies. I used Ghirardelli Brownie Mix and Nestle Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough (in the tubes). You can totally go from scratch, but I like to help out you busy bakers too!

I found these candy “eyes” at Target, but if you can’t find them you can use melted white chocolate a mini chocolate chip. ENJOY!

Are you following me on Bloglovin’? It’s my favorite way to keep up with the blogs I want to read!

Connect with Shugary Sweets!

Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Pinterest | instagram | Bloglovin’

Spooky Brookies

Prep Time: 2 hours

Yield: 16 bars

For the brownie layer:
  • 1 box (18.75 oz) Ghirardelli Chocolate Supreme Brownie Mix (makes an 8x8inch pan)
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/3 cup oil
  • 1 large egg
  • For the cookie layer:
  • 16 Halloween Oreos
  • 1 pkg (16.5oz) Nestle Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough (in the refrigerated tube)
  • 1/2 cup Ghirardelli milk chocolate morsels
  • 32 candy "eyes"

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line an 8 or 9inch square baking dish with parchment paper. Set aside.
  2. Mix ingredients for brownies in a large bowl using a whisk. Mix until just combined. Pour into bottom of baking dish, spreading so batter goes all the way to the sides.
  3. Top with 16 Oreo cookies.
  4. Breaking the chocolate chip cookie dough into chunks, drop by tablespoons onto the brownie/Oreo layer. Continue until all cookie dough is used, and brownies are nearly covered.
  5. Top with extra milk chocolate morsels (optional).
  6. Bake for 35-40 minutes. Press "eyes" onto melted chocolate chips. Allow brookies to cool at room temperature. Once cooled, cover with foil and refrigerate for 2 hours (or overnight). Cut into 16 bars. ENJOY.

Love Brookies? Check out this delicious Peanut Butter Version:

peanut-butter-brookies-

Searching for the perfect Halloween Treat?

check out my PINTEREST board for all things Halloween and Fall.

Elizabeth @ Confessions of a Baking Queen October 22, 2013 at 8:21 pm

I was a swimmer in high school and gosh those swim meets they last for ages, during waterpolo season I worked the snack bar with the moms and away games I went to the games with all the moms I was the honorary mom! LOL And one of the moms ALWAYS made the ghiradhelli brownies, and they are just SOOO Good, so I can only imagine with cookie and oreos?! Wowza I need!
Elizabeth @ Confessions of a Baking Queen recently posted..Cookie Butter Sea Salt TrufflesMy Profile

Laura @ Lauras Baking Talent October 22, 2013 at 8:43 pm

These are cute a fun! I am all for Brookies :)
Laura @ Lauras Baking Talent recently posted..Oatmeal Pie GhostsMy Profile

Faith @ Pixie Dust Kitchen October 22, 2013 at 9:21 pm

These are so creative and adorable- and I love the shortcut. There’s a reason why people love box mixes- they work and they’re GOOD.
Faith @ Pixie Dust Kitchen recently posted..Peanut Butter Banana Cookies (Vegan)My Profile

Averie @ Averie Cooks October 23, 2013 at 1:18 am

They’re slightly underbaked to perfection LOVE THE TEXTURE. So moist!! I can see it!

“Those of you whose children will tell you the night before that they signed up to bring the treats to the Halloween Party! Anyone ever have this happen to them?? ” <–OMG TONITE I was standing making a batch of cookies with my daughter b/c tomorrow we are supposed to bring in treats for a school party. YES!!!! Had I had any refrig dough, probably would have used it :)

pinned!
Averie @ Averie Cooks recently posted..Soft Vegan Pumpkin Cake with Pumpkin Spice Buttercream FrostingMy Profile

Julianne @ Beyond Frosting October 23, 2013 at 1:39 am

These are super cute! It’s funny how just a little addition of the googely eyes adds so much character!
Julianne @ Beyond Frosting recently posted..Coffee Cake Snickerdoodle CupcakesMy Profile

Megan - The Emotional Baker October 23, 2013 at 5:37 am

I love these! They look like the perfect Halloween treat :)
Megan – The Emotional Baker recently posted..Pumpkin Chocolate Chip BlondiesMy Profile

Rebecca @ Dorm Room Baker October 23, 2013 at 8:43 am

Oh wow, these look great! I was on a swim team once up on a time ago and I was terrible, always came in dead last in every race. Needless to say, I hated swimming after that, but I think that having these around back then might have been enough incentive to keep me on the team!
Rebecca @ Dorm Room Baker recently posted..Chocolate Chip Banana BreadMy Profile

Karly October 23, 2013 at 10:21 am

These are so stinkin’ cute! My daughter has been searching for a creepy recipe to make for Halloween and I bet she’ll love these!
Karly recently posted..What’s Cookin’ Wednesday #41My Profile

Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet October 23, 2013 at 1:39 pm

These are just too cute! My kids would love these because of the eyes and the oreos!!
Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet recently posted..Pink Salmon Quinoa PattiesMy Profile

tahnycooks October 23, 2013 at 2:25 pm

Gosh, all these creepy Halloween treats floating around the internet is making my choice on what to make for my sons class room party! (these I’m almost certain will be sitting there “one upping” the other treats!) Naughty!
tahnycooks recently posted..Peanut Butter Caramel Apple Dip Pastries {with a cinnamon cream glaze}My Profile

Meg October 23, 2013 at 4:01 pm

Oh my goodness! These look killer! I want to nom them all!

Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com October 23, 2013 at 5:00 pm

Gosh – these look AMAZING! Scrumptiously tantalizing and cute too!
Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com recently posted..Heart Warming Apple Pecan Pancakes!My Profile

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking October 23, 2013 at 5:07 pm

Ugh, now THAT’S what my brownies today were missing… eyeballs! Absolutely love these spooky, sinful treats, Aimee. Too cute!
Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking recently posted..Easy Pumpkin Swirl Chocolate BrowniesMy Profile

Marcie@Flavorthemoments October 23, 2013 at 8:19 pm

These are so adorable, Aimee, and they loom SO good!
Marcie@Flavorthemoments recently posted..Almond Joy BrowniesMy Profile

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) October 23, 2013 at 9:36 pm

Uhhh these look both incredibly delicious and adorably “spooky” :P!
Kayle (The Cooking Actress) recently posted..Pan Fried Zucchini with STAR Fine FoodsMy Profile

Nutmeg Nanny October 23, 2013 at 10:11 pm

These look insanely delicious!! I am so excited to make this :)
Nutmeg Nanny recently posted..Catching Up with Nutmeg Nanny {Episode 1}My Profile

Renee @ Awesome on $20 October 24, 2013 at 2:39 am

I love the idea of just throwing those eyeball candies into something that isn’t otherwise decorated. So cute!
Renee @ Awesome on $20 recently posted..Cheesy Meatball SlidersMy Profile

Ashley | Spoonful of Flavor October 24, 2013 at 10:39 am

Love these brookies, so cute and fun!
Ashley | Spoonful of Flavor recently posted..Baked Apple Cider DonutsMy Profile

Brenda @ SweetSimpleStuff October 24, 2013 at 12:06 pm

With the eyeballs on top … the Oreo icing looks like a mouth! What an easy and yummy treat for the moms, sorry I mean kids ;)
Brenda @ SweetSimpleStuff recently posted..Tombstone PopsMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets October 24, 2013 at 9:02 pm

Ha! Now all I see is a mouth :)

Jocelyn@Brucrewlife October 24, 2013 at 12:20 pm

You know how I love these cheater recipes!! ;) These not only sound awesome, they look super cute!

aimee @ shugarysweets October 24, 2013 at 8:57 pm

I knew you would approve :)

Alexe @ Keys to the Cucina October 24, 2013 at 5:22 pm

These look lovely and the addition of the oreo’s is divine!
Alexe @ Keys to the Cucina recently posted..Pumpkin Maple OatmealMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets October 24, 2013 at 8:56 pm

Oreos just make everything better…and Halloween Oreos make everything cuter!

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust October 24, 2013 at 9:58 pm

LOL! I think I love your friend. And these brookies!
Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust recently posted..Cinnamon Spice Cheesecake Bars {with oatmeal cookie crust}My Profile

Ginger October 24, 2013 at 11:51 pm

Very cute! I’ll have to find some of those spooky eyeballs!
Ginger recently posted..15+ Slow Cooker RecipesMy Profile

Rachel @thedessertchronicles October 25, 2013 at 5:04 pm

I love these! the halloween oreo addition is great!
Rachel @thedessertchronicles recently posted..Mason Jar CupcakesMy Profile

kristi@ishouldbemoppingthefloor October 26, 2013 at 1:56 am

These are so fun…and no doubt delicious!

Trish - Mom On Timeout October 27, 2013 at 10:41 am

These are TOO fun Aimee! And I am just LOVING how easy they are!
Trish – Mom On Timeout recently posted..Potato, Ham and Cheese Crescent Mini QuichesMy Profile

Kristen Duke October 28, 2013 at 11:31 pm

Um brownies + Oreos + chocolate chip cookies?!? YUM!!! Love the spooky eyes too!
Kristen Duke recently posted..The PINspiration PlaceMy Profile

Download phan mem full mien phi November 2, 2013 at 11:28 pm

I do think the many principles you may have available for your publish. They can be actually persuading which enables it to certainly get the job done. Still, the threads are too short first off. May well you desire prolong these people a little from up coming moment? Thank you for this submit.