Every potluck needs this Broccoli Salad on the table. It’s the perfect summer side dish!
Be sure to sign up for my free email subscription…new recipes in your inbox
Ummm, hello?? Where did our summer go? Is it me or does the summer seem to go faster as you get older?
It seems like just yesterday we were coming home from the last day of school and packing our bags for Hawaii. But no. That was not yesterday. That was May.
And wasn’t it just days ago I saw my son moments before leaving for boot camp? Nope. It’s been 3 weeks already (and man do I miss that kid!).
But, here we are in August already. Buying school supplies, getting sports physicals done, and going to school orientations.
This is also the year that my youngest is now in Junior High School. My baby. She is now going to a school filled with teenagers and hormones. #helpme
The only way to get through this realization that school starts in a couple weeks and my kids are hormone raging humans…is to live in denial.
At least for a little bit…right?
So, let’s embrace the last few weeks of summer vacation and eat bowls of my favorite broccoli salad!
I remember the first time I ever had this salad. I was at a Christmas party years ago with my family, and my aunt served this salad (Hi Aunt Debbie!!). I had never had anything like it, and I ate seconds. Then thirds. Then begged for the recipe.
Truth be told I’ve only made it a handful of times in the past ten or so years. And every time it’s been devoured at family potlucks and bbq’s.
I prefer to make this salad the night before. I think it gives the dressing time to “soften” the broccoli. However, the recipe as given to me, says to pour dressing on salad right before serving. You decide how you want to serve this…as everyone has different taste buds! Either way, it’s going to be delicious.
Connect with Shugary Sweets!
Prep Time: 15 minutes prep, 4 hours chill time
- 1 lb broccoli florets, cut bite size
- 1/3 cup red onion, cut in strips
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 lb bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds (no shells)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- In a pot of boiling water, drop broccoli and cook for about 1 minute. Remove immediately and rinse with cold water. Place in a large bowl.
- Add onion, cheese, bacon, raisins, and sunflower seeds to broccoli.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayo, vinegar and sugar. Pour over salad right before serving.
- I prefer to pour it over the salad and allow the salad to "soften" for about 4 hours. You decide.
MAKING THIS RECIPE? Share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #ShugarySweets so I can see what you're cooking up in the kitchen!
Shrimp Pasta Salad with a homemade Italian Dressing. Easy, healthy, delicious!
Roasted Corn Salad: a wonderful summer side dish with a honey lime dressing.
Strawberry Pecan Salad: a copycat version of your favorite Panera recipe!
Love today’s Broccoli Salad recipe? You might like these recipes from my friends:
- Cucumber Tomato Salad from Java Cupcake
- Corn and Radish Salad from Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
- Pineapple Cucumber Salad from Mom on Timeout
- Veggie Pasta Salad from Inside BruCrew Life
**There may be affiliate links in this post! By clicking on them, or purchasing recommended items I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I love! Thank you for supporting Shugary Sweets! See my disclosure policy for more info**