We love this Apple Pound Cake recipe. It’s a rich, buttery, cream cheese Pound Cake filled with chunks of Apples. Take it to the next level with a Cinnamon glaze!
While baking our apple slab pie is always a treat, today’s pound cake is equally delicious!
Table of Contents
Why this Recipe is Best
Apples and pound cake are a match made in dessert heaven. The classic butter crumb of a pound cake tastes even better when it’s filled with sweet bits of apple.
- This recipe uses cream cheese to make the Apple Pound Cake super moist while giving the cake a slight tang that complements the apple flavor beautifully.
- Then, there’s the topping: a cinnamon glaze that sets in a thick layer on top of the cake.
- I love how easy pound cakes are to make from scratch, too. You just mix everything together, bake and pour on the glaze–no need to mess with layers or frosting bags. And because the recipe makes TWO cakes, you can eat one now and stash the other one in the freezer for later.
This Apple Pound Cake makes a perfect dessert for a holiday gathering or a coffee date with a friend!
- Apples – I like to use gala or granny smith apples for baking.
- Cream cheese – Let it soften at room temperature for a few minutes before adding it to the cake batter.
- Heavy cream – Use real heavy whipping cream in the glaze for best results. It helps keep the glaze thick while still allowing it to spread over the top of the cake.
I mix all the ingredients for the cake together in a bowl and use my electric mixer to beat everything together. After folding in the diced apples, pour the batter into two loaf pans to bake for 75 minutes.
While the cakes were cooling on a wire rack, make the glaze by whisking powdered sugar with cinnamon and heavy cream until it’s smooth with no lumps of powdered sugar remaining. Once the cakes are completely cool, spread the glaze on top, slice and enjoy!
Tips & Tricks
- Place a sheet of parchment paper on the bottom of the loaf pans in addition to greasing them to prevent the cakes from sticking.
- To prevent the tops of the cakes from getting too brown, you can place a sheet of foil lightly on top of the pans during the last 15 minutes of baking.
- Store pound cake in an airtight container for up to a week or freeze for up to 3 months.
Pound cakes get their name because traditionally they were made with a pound each of butter, sugar, flour and eggs. They are denser than other styles of cake and usually baked in a loaf or bundt pan.
I love tart types of apples for baking such as Granny Smith, Pink Lady or Honeycrisp.
Yes, this Apple Pound Cake freezes beautifully! Freeze in slices or as whole cakes wrapped in foil and freezer bags for up to 3 months.
I baked these pound cakes in 8.5 x 4.5 inch loaf pans.
More Easy Cake Recipes
Apple Pound Cake with Cinnamon Glaze
For the cake:
- 1 ½ cup unsalted butter softened
- 8 ounce cream cheese softened
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup apples diced and peeled
- 2 teaspoon kosher salt
For the glaze:
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 Tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and cream cheese until smooth (about 3 minutes). Add sugar, beating until fluffy (an additional 5 minutes). Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Turn mixer to low and beat in flour and salt. Fold in the diced apples.
- Pour batter into TWO bread loaf pans that have been greased generously.** Bake in a 350 degree oven for 75 minutes.***
- Remove from oven and cool in pans for about 10 minutes. Turn out and cool completely on a wire rack, with top sides up.
- For the glaze, beat powdered sugar, cinnamon and heavy cream with a whisk until smooth. Spread over completely cooled cakes. Store in airtight container. These freeze well too!
- I like to line the bottom of my loaf pans with parchment paper as an additional step to ensuring the cake removes easily.
- I use 9×5-inch loaf pans.
- Lightly place a piece of foil over the tops of the loaf pans during the last 15-20 minutes to prevent burning, if needed.
Pound Cake never tasted so good! Believe me–you’ll want more than a small slice of this Apple Pound Cake with Cinnamon Glaze!