Love Carrot Cake? These delicious Carrot Cake Cupcakes are the best handheld version of the classic dessert. Covered in rich cream cheese frosting, these moist cupcakes are made for sharing.
Why this Recipe Works
The search for the tastiest ever carrot cake cupcakes is over. These single serving treats check all the boxes. Here are a few reasons these are the absolute BEST!
- Sweet carrot flavor. Using freshly shredded carrots makes all the difference!
- Super moist. These cupcakes stay soft and moist–even after storing.
- Hint of cinnamon. A pinch of cinnamon spice compliments the sweet cupcakes beautifully.
- Cream cheese pecan frosting. This frosting is full of fragrant vanilla and crunchy nuts.
I love these carrot cupcakes all year long. But they’re especially wonderful for Easter! Easy to make, transport and share with friends.
Carrots. Buy whole carrots and shred them yourself at home for best results! Store bought shredded carrots don’t contain as much moisture and can make cupcakes taste drier.
Vegetable oil. Make sure to use a vegetable oil with a mild flavor, such as canola. (Do not use olive oil or peanut oil here!)
Vanilla. Try these with my How to Make Vanilla Extract if you have time to plan ahead!
Tips and Tricks
Use a stand mixer or beaters. An electric mixer is the easiest (and fastest) way to make fluffy spreadable cream cheese frosting.
Fill cupcake liners 3/4 of the way. Avoid overfilling the cupcake tins–or you risk getting puffy tops that look more like carrot cake muffins. Still delicious but much harder to frost.
These can be made with or without nuts. Simply omit the chopped pecans from the frosting for a nut free carrot cupcake.
If you’d like a little more nuttiness in your carrot cupcakes, feel free to add chopped nuts to the batter. I’d start with a 1/2 cup of chopped pecans or walnuts. Fold in before filling the cupcake tins.
Yes, because of the cream cheese frosting you should store these in the refrigerator. Place them in an airtight container and keep chilled until 1 -2 hours before serving.
Carrot Cupcakes freeze beautifully! Place cooled unfrosted cupcakes in freezer bags and store for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight and top with freshly made cream cheese frosting before serving.
More Cupcake Recipes
- Watermelon Cupcakes: not only are they delicious, but they’re cute too! Perfect for summer or a bake sale!
- Pink Lemonade Cupcakes: if you’re going to make cupcakes, you must make them cute!
- Chocolate Butterfinger Cupcakes: chocolate cupcakes with a creamy Butterfinger frosting. Doesn’t get much better than this!
Give Christmas dinner a decadent finish with this Eggnog Cheesecake Cake. A creamy center and plenty of spice make this the ideal dessert for a cozy holiday celebration!
Everyone who loves carrot cake FLIPS for these carrot cupcakes! You’ll love the extra moist crumb and the crunch of pecans in every bite.