This easy Neapolitan Trifle recipe has layers of chocolate pudding, fresh strawberries and two flavors of cake. The whole thing is topped with cool whip for an impressive dessert you can assemble in no time!
Table of Contents
What is a Trifle
Have you tried my Neapolitan Cheesecake Cake recipe? I saved the leftover cake layers from that dessert and turned them into a trifle!
Trifle is a dessert made by layering cubes of cake with fruit and sweet custard or pudding. The cake soaks up some of the pudding and the liquid from the fruit so every bite tastes better than the last.
While trifles are most commonly eaten in England, you can find variations on the layered dessert everywhere. Because you don’t need a whole cake to make trifle, it’s a great way to use up leftover cake layers too.
Today’s Trifle recipe brings together fresh strawberry cake flavors with rich chocolate and creamy vanilla. I topped the whole thing off with cool whip for some extra decadence and a picture perfect presentation!
- Chocolate and Strawberry cakes – I used boxed cake mixes and baked the cakes in a 9 x 13 pan. Once cooled, cut each cake into 2 inch chunks.
- Chocolate pudding – In this recipe, we use instant pudding mix whisked with milk for the pudding layer. You could use our homemade chocolate pudding too.
- Cool whip – After layering the cakes and pudding, you’ll spoon this on top to complete your trifle. Feel free to use real whipped cream instead if you prefer. Our recipe for stabilized whipped cream is also a great substitute.
- Fresh strawberries – You will need one pint of strawberries, hulled and sliced.
Tips and Tricks
The most labor intensive part of this trifle recipe is baking the cakes, and even that is easy when you use a mix! Bake the cakes as far in advance as you like and freeze them until you’re ready to assemble a trifle.
- We only use half of each baked cake in this Neapolitan Trifle. Store the unused half of the cakes in the freezer to use in future trifles, cake balls or this Chocolate Cake Shake!
- You can also skip the strawberry cake and use a whole chocolate cake instead. Vanilla white cake is another tasty variation on cake flavors you can try here.
- Assemble this in a clear trifle bowl to show off all the layers!
- I topped my Neapolitan Trifle with a chocolate covered strawberry. Totally optional, but pretty and delicious.
Once assembled, this trifle is best served the same day. You can keep leftover trifle covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
You can absolutely use your favorite cake recipe instead of the mixes. The boxed mix is purely for convenience!
We did not use any alcohol in this trifle recipe. While traditional English trifles usually call for soaking cakes or ladyfingers in liquor, many recipes,dincluding this one, leave that element out.
Baked cakes keep well in the freezer for about 3 months. Make sure to store them well wrapped in sealed freezer bags to prevent freezer burn.
More Easy Dessert Recipes
- Carrot Cake Recipe
- Heaven on Earth Cake
- Kringle Recipe
- Mini Cheesecake Recipe
- Chocolate Banana Cake
- Peanut Butter Cookies
- 1 box chocolate cake mix with ingredients
- 1 box strawberry cake mix with ingredients
- 1 box instant chocolate pudding mix 3.4 ounce
- 2 cups milk
- 1 pint fresh strawberries hulled and sliced
- 12 ounce Cool Whip thawed
- Prepare cake mixes according to package directions in a 13×9 baking dish. Cool completely. You will only need HALF of each cake. You can put the remaining cake (cut into chunks) into the freezer for a later dessert.
- Prepare chocolate pudding mix with milk according to package. Allow to set up in refrigerator for 5 minutes. In a large glass bowl, lay your chocolate cake and pour the prepared pudding over the cake. Top this with the strawberry cake and fresh berries. Cover the trifle in Cool Whip.
- Optional: dip one of the strawberries in melted chocolate as a garnish.
- Store in refrigerator until ready to serve. Keep in refrigerator for up to 3 days. ENJOY.
- Freeze half of the strawberry cake, and half of the chocolate cake. (Or double the cheesecake filling for a very large dessert).
- You can also bake ONLY the chocolate cake, use strawberries (skip the strawberry) cake, and use the cheesecake filling.
Layers of strawberries and chocolate cake come together with pudding and fresh berries in this Easy Neapolitan Trifle recipe!