This is one of my favorite breads. It never fails that I am always asked for this recipe. It’s best served cold, right out of the refrigerator. Perfect for a warm summer morning, paired with my hot coffee.
Hot coffee in the summer. I used to make fun of my parents for that. I get it now. Totally. They too had to raise 4 children. Yeah, hot coffee in the summer makes sense to me now!
This recipe makes two loaves. I always put the second loaf in the freezer (wrapped up in foil, then a freezer bag). That way I can enjoy it weeks later! Or we bring it camping for a home baked breakfast treat! Enjoy!
Yield: 2 loaves
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 45-55 minutes
for the bread:
- 1/2 lb butter, softened
- 2 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 4 oranges, zested and juiced, divided
- 3 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 3/4 cup orange juice, divided
- 3/4 cup vanilla yogurt, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla
for the glaze:
- 2 cup powdered sugar
- 3 Tbsp orange juice
- Cream butter and 2 cup sugar in a mixer for 5 minutes. On medium speed, beat in eggs, one at a time. Add orange zest from all 4 oranges (about 1/3 cup).
- In large bowl, mix flour, baking powder, soda, and salt. In another bowl, mix 1/4 cup OJ (juice of 1 orange), yogurt and vanilla. Add flour and yogurt mixtures alternately to mixer in 3 additions.
- Pour into two greased loaf pans. I line my pans with parchment paper on the bottom, then grease pan. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 45-55 minutes.
- While bread is baking, cook remaining 1/2 cup sugar with 1/2 cup OJ (juice of 2 oranges) on low until sugar dissolves. Cool cakes ten minutes in pan. Remove from pans to a wire rack. Spoon syrup over cakes. Cool completely.
- To glaze, mix 2 cup powdered sugar with 1/4 cup OJ (juice of 1 orange) with whisk. Pour over cake and allow to dry. Store in refrigerator or freeze.