Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread. Have your veggies and your chocolate too. This delicious extra fudgy recipe makes two freezer friendly loaves of zucchini bread. Filled with chocolate chips and cocoa, you can serve it for dessert, breakfast or an afternoon snack.
Why this Recipe Works
When regular Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread isn’t enough, you need a double chocolate version!
This easy Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread recipe uses both cocoa powder AND chocolate chips.
The result is the fudgiest chocolate zucchini bread you’ve ever tasted. It’s so fudgy, it’s dangerously close to brownie territory.
- With sour cream to lock in moisture and espresso powder for a rich chocolate taste, this recipe is pure perfection.
- Baked in two bread pans, you’ll have one loaf to enjoy now and one to stash away for a rainy day.
Whether you serve it as a decadent breakfast, a snack with your midday coffee or after dinner, it’s going to become your new favorite way to bake with zucchini!
Espresso powder. If you’re unfamiliar with this secret ingredient, it’s essentially a highly concentrated powdered coffee. While it doesn’t give the bread a coffee flavor it does enhance the richness of the cocoa.
Sour cream. We use sour cream in many of our quick bread recipes. It keeps things moist while adding delicious flavor. Unsweetened Greek Yogurt can be substituted if you prefer.
Zucchini. Shred the zucchini with a box grater before adding it to the batter. No need to peel it first.
Vanilla Extract. Choose a pure vanilla (not imitation) or make our delicious homemade vanilla extract recipe!
Combine wet ingredients.
Stir together the oil, eggs, sour cream, sugar and vanilla.
Add dry ingredients.
Mix in the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, kosher salt and espresso powder. Fold in the zucchini and 1.5 cups worth of semi sweet chocolate chips.
Divide the batter into two greased loaf pans. Sprinkle the rest of the chocolate chips on top.
Bake Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread for about 45 minutes. Let the chocolate zucchini bread cool completely before eating or freezing
Tips and Tricks
- How to prevent loaves from sticking. Place a rectangle of parchment paper at the bottom of each loaf pan. Then, spray with baking spray before adding the zucchini bread batter. If you don’t have parchment paper, then grease the pans generously! Use my easy cake release recipe.
- How to freeze. Wrap baked loaves in foil. Then slide them into freezer safe gallon sized bags. Thaw in the bag overnight on the counter when ready to serve.
- Make Muffins! Try our chocolate zucchini muffins for a fun and portable breakfast.
- Nut variations. Chopped walnuts and pecans would be a delicious addition to this bread.
It doesn’t give the chocolate zucchini bread any coffee flavor. I promise. Espresso powder brings out the natural richness of the chocolate. Taste it and you’ll see!
Yes, frozen zucchini works perfectly here. Thaw the zucchini and squeeze out any excess water before adding it to the batter.
Yes and yes to ALL chocolate chips in this bread! I happen to love the classic semi-sweetness in my double chocolate zucchini bread.
Feel free to experiment with different chocolate chips to find your favorite. You could even combine them for a fun twist.
More Easy Bread Recipes
- Apple Cinnamon Bread
- Zucchini Banana Bread
- Amish Friendship Bread
- Best Banana Bread Recipe
- Best Zucchini Bread Recipe
Love zucchini bread? Love chocolate? This easy Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread is on deck for you! Fudgy, moist and 100% irresistible.