Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
Rich and fudgy Chocolate Zucchini Muffins with double the chocolate! Freezer friendly instructions too!
Click HERE to save recipe to Pinterest!
Heading into fall baking season now, but before I bombard you with pumpkin and peppermint, I’ve got one last zucchini recipe to share!
You may remember a few weeks ago I shared this decadent, fudgy Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread. It’s like a cross between chocolate cake and fudgy brownies. Seriously, so good, and my kids had no idea that there was zucchini hidden inside!
Well, because I know at least ONE of you will ask:
Can I make this zucchini bread into muffins?
Yes. Yes you can. But can I give you one suggestion? Once they are all baked and ready to enjoy…eat it warm. You won’t regret it. The next day, when you have a couple left (if they last that long), heat it up for about 10 seconds in your microwave. AMAZING.
This year I have had a love/hate relationship with my zucchini plant. It produced the most amount of zucchini I have ever grown, and this was my busiest summer. So creating a lot of NEW recipes just didn’t happen.
However, I have zucchini archives with so many wonderful recipes that I use all the time. My freezer is now stocked with breads and muffins, and my pantry even has canned zucchini that tastes like pineapple (anyone want this recipe???).
Here are a few of my FAVORITE zucchini recipes (in no particular order):
**Delicious Cinnamon Swirl Zucchini Bread recipe tastes like a coffee cake with a cinnamon glaze. Two freezable loaves, and possibly my very favorite bread recipe!
**Enjoy a slice of this incredibly sweet and moist Lemon Zucchini Bread for breakfast, brunch or as an evening treat! It won’t disappoint!
**Super moist and delicious, this Zucchini Bundt Cake with a decadent Cinnamon glaze is a fantastic dessert! Such a great way to use up some of that fresh zucchini in your garden!
**This simple, made from scratch, Zucchini Spice Cake from Mom on Timeout is loaded with spices and topped with a sweet cream cheese icing. Applesauce and zucchini make this easy snack cake extra moist and totally delicious. No butter or oil!
**A slice of this Zucchini Honey Loaf from Noble Pig is all you need in the afternoon to get you through the afternoon slump. It’s definitely the right choice with a cup of coffee or tea.
I created a fun little group on facebook and I’d love for you to join in! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new with Shugary Sweets (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #shugarysweets so I can see all the wonderful SHUGARY SWEETS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Shugary Sweets!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
Chocolate Zucchini Muffins recipe:
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp espresso powder
- 3 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 bag (11 oz) semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Spray two 12-count muffin pans with nonstick baking spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs, vegetable oil, sour cream, sugar, and vanilla until blended. Add in flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and espresso powder. Mix until combined.
- Fold in zucchini and 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips. Using a large scoop (about 1/4 cup batter), fill each muffin tin nearly to the top. Top with remaining chocolate chips.
- Bake for 5 minutes. While keeping the muffins in the oven, reduce oven temperature to 350 degree F. Continue baking for an additional 15 minutes. Remove from oven and cool.
- If freezing, cool completely. Slide each muffin carefully into a gallon sized ziploc bag (I can fit 9 per bag nicely) and freeze for several months. Place on room temperature counter to thaw overnight (still in bag).
- For extra deliciousness, heat muffin for ten seconds in the microwave to give it a warm, fudgy texture!
Adding the Espresso Powder does NOT make it taste like coffee. It just brings out the richness of the chocolate. I use this one from amazon! Recipe can be halved for 12 muffins if preferred. I like to bake extra and freeze for a later date!
King Arthur Flour Espresso Powder, 3 oz
Wilton Perfect Results Premium Non-Stick Bakeware Muffin and Cupcake Pan, 12-Cup
Rodelle Gourmet Extract, Vanilla, 8 Ounce
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
**There may be affiliate links in this post! By clicking on them, or purchasing recommended items I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I love! Thank you for supporting Shugary Sweets! See my disclosure policy for more info**