This copycat Starbucks Apple Crisp Macchiato brings together rich espresso and the nostalgic flavors of spiced apple pie. The homemade apple cider syrup creates the perfect flavor base for today’s coffee, serve this hot or cold!
Love fall treats? Bake up a batch of Pumpkin Scones or a loaf of Apple Cinnamon Bread to enjoy with your coffee. A dozen apple cider donuts would be delicious too.
Table of Contents
Why this Recipe is Best
Move over, pumpkin spice latte. There’s a new fall coffee drink in town! Pull on a comfy sweater, grab your favorite mug and get ready to welcome fall with this warming pick-me-up. No need to leave for Starbucks today.
- Brown sugar and apple flavors swirled together are reminiscent of a gooey, caramelized apple pie filling.
- No espresso machine needed. This recipe works well with strong brewed coffee too!
- The apple spiced coffee is topped with frothy milk and drizzled with caramel syrup.
- This homemade Apple Crisp Macchiato tastes just like the Starbucks version, at a fraction of the cost per serving.
The latest addition to Starbucks beloved fall beverage menu combines two of my favorite things: coffee and apple crisp.
I usually prefer making my own flavored coffee drinks at home. By now, I’ve created my own delicious copycat versions of Starbucks classics, like this Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew.
But when I heard that Starbucks was debuting a new apple flavored macchiato, I had to check it out. Then, naturally, I had to recreate it at home.
This sweet apple drink reminds me of a warm apple cider topped with whipped cream and a shot of espresso.
Apple cider. For best results, use real apple cider–preferably without added syrups or flavors. Do not use apple juice.
Apple pie spice. This spice blend usually includes cinnamon, nutmeg and all spice. Store bought spice blends work fine, or you can make your own blend at home.
Espresso or strong coffee. Most of us, me included, don’t have espresso machines at home. I used instant espresso powder to make this macchiato. You can also use regular coffee brewed at double strength.
Milk. Skim milk froths beautifully for macchiatos. For a nondairy option, swap it out for unsweetened plain or vanilla almond milk!
STEP 1. Make apple cider syrup
Start by heating brown sugar, apple cider and butter together in a small sauce pan. Stir until melted and combined.
Whisk apple pie spice and cornstarch into the syrup, then bring to a boil for 10 minutes. Let the apple cider syrup cool slightly.
PRO TIP: This syrup is delicious drizzled over homemade pancakes, waffles, and vanilla ice cream!
STEP 2. Assemble the apple crisp macchiato
Add syrup to the bottom of a coffee mug. Top it with warmed milk, then the espresso (or coffee).
Froth the remaining steamed milk with a handheld frother until light and foamy. Spoon the foam into the mug.
I love this handheld milk frother on Amazon. Less than $15 which is great if you want to make drinks at home. Also perfect for blending chocolate milk, hot cocoa, and more.
STEP 3. Garnish
Drizzle with caramel syrup and sprinkle with a bit of apple pie spice for garnish.
Serve, sip and enjoy.
Iced variation: Try the macchiato over ice for a refreshing twist. Add syrup, milk and espresso to a glass filled with ice. Top with foamed milk (or more cold milk if preferred) and drizzle with caramel syrup.
Caramel swirl: Got any of those clear glass coffee mugs? Swirl caramel syrup along the insides of the glass mug before assembling the macchiato for an extra beautiful presentation.
Dunk it: make a batch of our caramel macchiato biscotti to dunk in your coffee! Worth it.
Tips and Tricks
- Heat your milk in a glass measuring cup. It makes it easy to heat all the milk together, then measure out 1/4 cup to reserve for frothing.
- For a stronger coffee flavor, feel free to add a bit more coffee or espresso to suit your tastes.
- The apple cider syrup recipe makes enough for several servings of apple crisp macchiatos. Store any unused syrup in a covered container in the fridge for up to one month.
- To stir or not to stir. This is entirely your choice. The Starbucks barista told me that most people prefer this drink BLENDED.
To make apple pie spice, combine 1 1/2 Tablespoons cinnamon, 1 1/2 teaspoons nutmeg, 1 teaspoon allspice, and 1 teaspoon cardamom.
The key flavors for a Starbucks apple crisp macchiato are espresso, steamed milk, apple brown sugar syrup and a drizzle on top.
You can make a decent frothed milk using a mason jar with a lid. Add the warm milk to the jar and shake vigorously for at least 30 seconds. It won’t be quite as light and foamy, but it works in a pinch!
More CopyCat Recipes
- Chocolate Cake Shake– Portillos
- Pumpkin Coffee Creamer– International Delight
- Skinny Caramel Mocha– Starbucks
- Broccoli Cheese Soup– Panera
- Coleslaw– KFC
Apple Crisp Macchiato
For the Apple Cider Syrup
- 1 cup apple cider
- ¼ cup light brown sugar packed
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ teaspoon apple pie spice
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
For the Apple Crisp Macchiato
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider syrup
- ¼ cup espresso or strong coffee basically 2 – 1oz. shots
- 1 cup 2% milk
- caramel syrup for drizzle optional – could also use more of the apple cider syrup instead
- sprinkle of apple pie spice for garnish
To make the apple cider syrup:
- Add apple cider, brown sugar, and butter to a small saucepan. Heat over medium low heat until butter is melted and all ingredients are combined.
- In a small bowl, whisk together apple pie spice and cornstarch. Whisk the dry ingredients into the apple cider mixture until completely combined.
- Bring to a boil over medium low heat and continue to boil for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly.
To make the apple cider macchiato:
- Add 2 Tablespoons of apple cider syrup to a mug.
- In a glass measuring cup, heat 1 cup of milk in the microwave to 150℉. You may also heat the milk on the stovetop if you prefer. (*see notes)
- Pour ¾ cup of the steamed milk into the mug, reserving the remaining ¼ cup for frothing.
- Add ¼ cup espresso or strong coffee. (*see notes)
- Using a handheld milk frother, create the milk foam for the top of the macchiato.
- Pour or spoon the foam into the mug. Drizzle with caramel sauce and finish with a sprinkle of apple pie spice. Serve immediately.
- I like to heat the milk in the microwave in a glass measuring cup for ease. When you reserve a ¼ cup for frothing, it just makes it easier to measure the correct amounts without having to pour the milk into something else to measure it.
- I made my espresso using instant espresso powder. Starbucks puts 2 shots into their drinks but their shots are measured at .75 oz to save money. I actually think it could be adjusted to be a little stronger depending on how much someone likes espresso or coffee.
- Non-dairy? I did test Almond milk (vanilla, unsweetened.) A delicious non-dairy alternative.
- Delicious over ice as well. Fill a glass with ice and add ingredients in the order listed above.
- Storage for the apple cider syrup: Can be kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a month.
- Don’t have any apple pie spice on hand? It’s easy as pie to make it at home. 1 ½ Tablespoons ground cinnamon, 1 ½ teaspoons ground nutmeg, 1 teaspoon ground allspice, 1 teaspoon ground cardamom (if you can find it or have it, otherwise it’s ok to omit.)I love this inexpensive milk frother from Amazon. Perfect for today’s recipe, as well as blending chocolate milk, hot cocoa, and more.
Easy to make and even better than Starbucks. This Apple Crisp Macchiato recipe will keep you warm and cozy on a chilly day.
Oh my goodness! My daughter made this drink this morning to go with her breakfast and she LOVED it! Such a hit here and a new favorite. Definitely making all season long. Thank you! 🙂
This is my new favorite fall drink! Oh my word, it’s so yummy! I will be making this over and over!
I can’t even tell you how much I LOVE this recipe! I make it all the time now.