Spicy Roasted Chickpeas

by aimee @ shugarysweets on January 5, 2014

Crunchy, spicy, taco seasoned Roasted Chickpeas make a delicious snack!

Crunchy, taco seasoned Spicy Roasted Chickpeas make a great snack idea! Full of fiber which keeps you satisfied longer!

I love it when a healthy snack fills me up. I mean, I love carrots and grapes, but they just don’t make me full! And nuts? Love them too but I can’t seem to eat just one servings’ worth (which is what, 6 nuts?).

But chickpeas? They are so good. Not only in hummus, but as a crunchy roasted snack. Have you ever roasted your veggies for dinner? It makes them sweeter and delicious. I love to roast my chickpeas to the ultimate crunch, almost till they are burnt! I don’t like any “chew” to be left in them. Sprinkling them with taco seasoning makes them all the more addictive. And, like I said, they are filling too. Thanks to all the fiber I can eat a serving of these and feel satisfied.

Just like with hummus, I prefer to peel my chickpeas.  If you don’t, you’ll find the skins come off in the oven, and they take all the good seasoning with them! This is a great job for little hands to help!

What kind of healthy snacks do you choose to eat?

Facebook | Twitter | Google+

Pinterest | instagram | Bloglovin’

Save your favorite recipes to your personal recipe box with the     button on all my recipes! Create a Meal Plan with your “favorited” recipes and the ingredients will automatically be added to your own Grocery List!

Spicy Roasted Chickpeas

Yield: serves 4

Crunchy, spicy taco seasoned roasted chickpeas for a healthy snack idea!

• 2 cans (15oz each) garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
  • 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 heaping Tbsp taco seasoning

1. Drain and rinse chickpeas. Peel by pinching the skins off each chickpea. In a large bowl, add chickpeas, olive oil and taco seasoning. Mix completely and pour onto a large, foil lined, baking sheet.
  2. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 30-40 minutes. Stir every ten minutes. Remove and cool completely. Best eaten on day one! Store in an airtight container if desired.

Notes

I prefer to cook my chickpeas the full 40 minutes until they are extra crunchy!

Love Taco seasoned snacks?

taco-snack-mix-

Taco Snack Mix…easy no bake snack recipe!

bbqchip-

BBQ Potato Chips...homemade chips are even better with this seasoning mix!

We can’t get enough tacos in our home. Here are a couple of our favorite variations!

easy-taco-pizza

Easy homemade Taco Pizza recipe

chicken-taco-soup-1

Chicken Taco Soup…comfort food with a taco twist!

taco-potato-boat-

Turkey Taco potato boats- ground turkey makes these a little lighter!

Laura @ Lauras Baking Talent January 5, 2014 at 1:48 pm

These look like a great healthy snack. I didn’t realize before that chickpeas had shells. You learn something new everyday.
Laura @ Lauras Baking Talent recently posted..Slow Cooker Lemon Pepper ChickenMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 6, 2014 at 9:13 am

Once you peel all the skins off, you get this pile of something that looks disgusting, haha!! Makes you not want to eat the skins ever again :)
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Spicy Roasted ChickpeasMy Profile

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers January 5, 2014 at 2:03 pm

Yum Aimee! I love roasted chickapeas, I don’t have luck making them, they always turn out soft. Love the taco seasoning on them! That is sooooooo perfect!!
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Chicken and Wild Rice Soup in Crockpot – #SundaySupperMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 6, 2014 at 9:14 am

My tip for roasting chickpeas is to overcook them, until they are really browned. I like them crunchy!! It also depends on the size of the chickpeas…some are really large and some are tiny! Adjust your cooking time based on the size of the chickpea.
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Spicy Roasted ChickpeasMy Profile

Jocelyn @BruCrew Life January 5, 2014 at 2:35 pm

Yum! We love roasted chick peas too. Great tip to peel them first so the seasoning isn’t lost!
Jocelyn @BruCrew Life recently posted..White Chocolate Caramel Granola BarsMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 6, 2014 at 9:16 am

Thanks Girlie!!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Spicy Roasted ChickpeasMy Profile

Mommy G January 5, 2014 at 4:54 pm

After all the excesses of Christmas these sound amazing, thanks!

aimee @ shugarysweets January 6, 2014 at 9:16 am

You’re welcome! Happy New Year!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Spicy Roasted ChickpeasMy Profile

Megan - The Emotional Baker January 6, 2014 at 6:53 am

I’ve never roasted chickpeas, but I can’t wait to try these. I need a good filling snack.

aimee @ shugarysweets January 6, 2014 at 9:19 am

You can change up the seasoning and make any flavor you love too!!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Spicy Roasted ChickpeasMy Profile

Jennie @themessybakerblog January 6, 2014 at 7:38 am

These crunchy beans look so good. Pass the bowl, please! Pinned.

Taylor @ FoodFaithFitness January 6, 2014 at 8:05 am

I LOVE roasted chick peas. Such a quick and easy, but super healthy snack! I usually just use olive oil and salt, and the taco seasoning sounds to-die-for. Great idea!
Taylor @ FoodFaithFitness recently posted..Date & Banana Quinoa Breakfast Bake {GF, Paleo & Low Fat}My Profile

Alison Wood January 6, 2014 at 8:16 am

Another chick-pea lover—yay! Thanks for sharing…pining this one for sure!

I am a parenting/food blogger and find myself pinning yourself over and over! Love the inspiration on this site!
Alison Wood recently posted..Peanut Butter and Jelly Thumbprint Cookies — Flourless! Cooking with Kids SeriesMy Profile

Mary Frances January 6, 2014 at 8:57 am

Ooh, taco flavored chickpeas? Yum! I really really like chickpeas! Um, I didn’t know you could peel them … who knew? :) Definitely good to know!
Mary Frances recently posted..Salted Chocolate Coconut PopcornMy Profile

Lisa @ Garnish with Lemon January 6, 2014 at 9:07 am

I love this idea! I have never roasted chick peas before, but am trying it today! Stay warm! Pinning now!
Lisa @ Garnish with Lemon recently posted..Crock Pot Broccoli Cheese SoupMy Profile

Liz @ The Lemon Bowl January 6, 2014 at 10:05 am

I am so with you – I just couldn’t eat carrot sticks every day!! My toddler devoured the roasted chickpeas I made this weekend! Love your spin!
Liz @ The Lemon Bowl recently posted..Lightened Greek Egg Lemon Soup (Avgolemono)My Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 6, 2014 at 6:27 pm

Thanks Liz!!! It’s so awesome that your little guy loves healthy snacks!

Cookbook Queen January 6, 2014 at 12:47 pm

Love crunchy spicy snacks like these — I am a snacker, so they are a MUST!!
Cookbook Queen recently posted..A Video for YOU!!My Profile

julia January 6, 2014 at 2:36 pm

I love this healthy snack! Roasted chickpeas are so delicious & doing a taco, spicy flavor is a great idea!

Nutmeg Nanny January 6, 2014 at 7:03 pm

It’s funny I’ve had roasted chick peas on my mind all day! This is perfect :) I can’t wait to use this recipe.
Nutmeg Nanny recently posted..KitchenAid Stand Mixer GiveawayMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 9, 2014 at 7:48 am

Thanks!! I’m making another batch today with cinnamon sugar :)

Ashton January 6, 2014 at 10:31 pm

Oh yum! I have never, ever heard of roasted chickpeas until this year! And yours look so delicious, I think I’m going to have to give them a try!
Ashton recently posted..Red Velvet BrookiesMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 9, 2014 at 7:48 am

You should!! Such a great high fiber snack :)

Kathy January 6, 2014 at 10:35 pm

I have not had luck roasting chickpeas. Maybe I will try your tip and roast them until they are browned. I want them to work! They would be a great snack!
Kathy recently posted..Lemony Lentil SoupMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 9, 2014 at 7:47 am

Yes, definitely roast them longer if you like them crispy. Some brands have bigger chickpeas too, so it may take longer…

Belinda February 8, 2014 at 2:53 am

Good tip is to rub the chickpeas in a kitchen towel before seasoning and baking…

Lin February 13, 2014 at 2:50 pm

I love the roasted chickpeas too, and I have been frustrated that some of them are soggy. Thanks for the helpful insights here. I didn’t know I should peel them first! I will try them one more time. They say 3rd time is a charm. :)

Sara Mae February 18, 2014 at 12:07 am

I didn’t realize till I got home that the chickpeas were low sodium. Does this mean I shouldn’t add salt till I can taste them? I’m just so tired of ruining dishes because I don’t realize some things come already salted ha! :)

aimee @ shugarysweets February 18, 2014 at 8:27 pm

They have so much flavor when you roast them to crispy, you won’t miss the added sodium. But, when they come out of the oven, if you want, sprinkle them with a little extra kosher salt (or sea salt) for flavor.

Dee2 May 2, 2014 at 10:52 pm

I was so excited to make these but they didn’t get crunchy

SoundofSnow May 29, 2014 at 3:35 pm

One tip for getting these crunchy is once you remove the skins – DRY DRY DRY!!! Seriously – use papertowels and get ALL the moisture off of them and they should then turn out nice and crunchy. Don’t worry – the spice will still adhere to them – the more wet they are going in the oven the mushier they turn out

aimee @ shugarysweets May 29, 2014 at 10:09 pm

great tip! I also roast the heck out of them until they start to blacken. But that’s cause I like them almost burnt :)