Taco Snack Mix is a spicy chex mix that’ll take your snacking game to new heights! Perfect for a party, movie night or munching on throughout the day, this chex mix is inspired by taco flavors.
Spicy Chex Mix
Making homemade snack mix is a great way to cut costs. You can buy the cheese crackers and mix them with pretzels, oyster crackers and inexpensive chex cereal.
It stretches the good stuff further and also makes a fun change from your typical snack time go-tos.
And this recipe is even more affordable when you use generic or store brand crackers and cereal in place of the brand name!
This recipe is even better than a traditional chex mix, in my opinion.
Why? Because it has TACO SEASONING!
You can make your own taco seasoning or use store bought for this recipe.
It instantly transforms plain chex mix into a spicy salty snack that’ll make your taste buds dance with happiness.
The other reason I like this more than original homemade chex mix? You don’t have to turn on the oven.
Love making your own? Try our sweet chex mix recipe next!
How to make Taco Snack Mix
Here’s what I put in my snack mix:
- Chex cereal
- Oyster crackers
- Cheese crackers
- Vegetable oil
- Mini pretzel twists
- Taco seasoning
Just dump all the ingredients in a paper bag, shake it to distribute the oil and seasoning and let it sit for a few hours. This allows the oil to drain down to the bottom of the bag.
The paper bag will get greasy so I highly recommend putting it a sheet of foil or wax paper to avoid an oily counter top.
Serve this mix right away or transfer to an airtight container.
This combination of crackers and pretzels makes a tasty combination but there’s no reason you couldn’t mix it up!
- Peanuts or pecans would be a delicious addition to this if you like some nuttiness in your spicy chex mix.
- Instead of pretzel twists, try using mini pretzel sticks or pretzel nuggets!
- Want even more spice in your Taco Chex Mix? Add a pinch of cayenne pepper to the bag along with the taco seasoning.
- On the flip side, if it’s a little too much heat for your taste, reduce the amount of taco seasoning to your liking.
- Popcorn. Homemade microwave popcorn would be a delicious addition!
Rice and Corn Chex cereal are naturally gluten free. Substitute crackers and pretzels for nuts and gluten free crackers & pretzels.
Keep homemade spicy chex mix in an airtight container at room temperature for up to four weeks.