Taco Tortilla Stacks

by aimee @ shugarysweets on August 7, 2014

These Taco Tortilla Stacks have been made in our family for years! They are so easy to assemble ahead of time, and serve as a quick snack for a crowd. We enjoy ours served with salsa!

Be sure to sign up for my email…new recipes in your inbox!

Easy Taco Tortilla Stacks recipe for a quick, delicious snack/appetizer! These go fast in our house!

A few weeks ago I was thumbing through an old recipe book that had a bunch of handwritten family recipes. And by “family recipes” I don’t mean original, creative recipes that my family created.

I’m talking “family recipes” as in ones that my family has enjoyed through the years. Recipes that may have come from the back of cereal boxes, soup cans or old church cookbooks.

Today’s recipe is one that I know we’ve been enjoying for about 20 years. I’m pretty sure my mom first introduced me to this recipe, because I remember her serving it in a cute ceramic sombrero, with the tortilla stacks around the rim and the salsa was in the center.

These tortilla stacks used to be what I brought to every potluck, birthday party or bbq. No joke. It was a standard appetizer if you came to my house.

Through the years as I began making more recipes, I forgot about these!

Until the day I was unpacking some cookbooks and found myself sitting on our office floor looking through the family book.

Conveniently enough, we were having company that weekend and I knew I wanted to make these. I know how good they are, and I was suddenly craving them! Plus, it’s a recipe I haven’t shared here on the blog….and I was pretty sure some of you may enjoy these quick and easy snacks!

These Taco Tortilla Stacks are easy to make. In a big bowl, you combine your cream cheese with sour cream along with a package or taco mix. I used 3Tbsp of homemade taco seasoning instead, but use what you have! You then add the black olives and green chilies. That’s it.

Spread on a 6inch flour tortilla, repeat until you have 4 tortillas with the mixture on them, and top with a 5th tortilla. Wrap the whole stack in foil, and repeat (makes 3 tortilla stacks). Refrigerate your stacks until you are ready to serve (at least one hour). When ready, cut each stack into 8 triangles (for a total of 24 triangles). Serve with a dish of your favorite salsa and enjoy! These go fast, you may need to double the recipe!!

Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Pinterest | instagram | Bloglovin’

Save your favorite recipes to your personal recipe box with the     button on all my recipes!

Taco Tortilla Stacks

Prep Time: 1 hour, 5 minutes

Yield: 24 triangles

• 15 flour tortillas, 6 inch size
  • 8 oz cream cheese, softened
  • 8 oz sour cream
  • 1 envelope taco mix (or 3 Tbsp homemade taco seasoning)
  • 1 can (2.25oz) chopped black olives, drained
  • 1 can (4oz) chopped green chilies
  • 1 cup salsa, for serving

1. In a large bowl, combine cream cheese with sour cream and taco seasoning until fully blended. Add in black olives and green chilies. Mix until combined.
  2. Spread cream cheese mixture onto one tortilla in a thin layer. Top with a tortilla and repeat 3 times (until you have 4 tortillas with spread stacked up). Top with a 5th tortilla. Wrap entire stack in foil and refrigerate at least one hour. Repeat for remaining 2 stacks.
  3. When ready to serve, cut tortilla stack into 8 triangles. Serve with a bowl of your favorite salsa. ENJOY!

Taco flavored snacks are always a big hit. Here are a few of my favorites…..

skinny-taco-dip-1

Healthy Taco Dip made with greek yogurt and taco seasoning!

spicy-roasted-chickpeas-2

Spicy Roasted Chickpeas…crunchy, healthy, TONS of flavor!

taco-snack-mix-1-1021x1024

Taco Snack Mix…combine some of your favorite crunchy snacks in this no-bake mix!

Sues August 7, 2014 at 8:21 am

Ahh I SO want these for breakfast. They look delicious!!
Sues recently posted..French Onion Soup Grilled CheeseMy Profile

Julie @ Julie's Eats & Treats August 7, 2014 at 8:52 am

Oh these look amazing! Glad you found the recipe. I can’t see why they disappear fast!
Julie @ Julie’s Eats & Treats recently posted..Thursday JEMs {Julie’s Easy Meal Plans} 8/7/14My Profile

kristy @ the wicked noodle August 7, 2014 at 9:08 am

I love recipes that my family has made for years, there’s just something so special about them! These look yummy :)
kristy @ the wicked noodle recently posted..Vitamix Soup | Roasted Red Pepper Soup with Fresh CrabMy Profile

Kelly @ Nosh and Nourish August 7, 2014 at 9:13 am

Soooooooooo many yummy layers!!! Looks super creamy and delish :)
Kelly @ Nosh and Nourish recently posted..Berry Cobbler Granola + {Blueberry Crumble Muffins}My Profile

Beth @ The First Year August 7, 2014 at 10:04 am

This is like the ubber portable form of taco dip! I would surely dig into these Aimee!
Beth @ The First Year recently posted..Mixed Vegetable and Pepperoni CalzonesMy Profile

Shaina August 7, 2014 at 1:13 pm

This sounds like such an easy and delicious appetizer when you have guests over. You’ve got me craving Mexican food now!
Shaina recently posted..Applesauce Oats and Dried Cherry Breakfast Cookies #LeftoversClubMy Profile

Jaren (Diary of a Recipe Collector) August 7, 2014 at 2:49 pm

I love the idea of making them stackable!!
Jaren (Diary of a Recipe Collector) recently posted..Cinnamon Pecan Icebox Cookies {Leftovers Club}My Profile

Averie @ Averie Cooks August 7, 2014 at 3:36 pm

That cream cheese mixture would be good on anything! Love the ease of these! Pinned :)

Jennifer | Bake or Break August 7, 2014 at 3:40 pm

I can understand why these have been so popular for you. I am pretty sure I could make these appetizer AND meal!
Jennifer | Bake or Break recently posted..Peanut Butter Meringue Cookies {Plus a PB Crave Giveaway}My Profile

Maralyn Woods August 7, 2014 at 4:03 pm

Are you serving these tortillas raw? They look to at some point have been grilled or browned or baked but the recipe says nothing about cooking the flour tortillas. I am going to make flour tortillas today and I would like to try this. But not with raw tortillas. Help.

aimee @ shugarysweets August 7, 2014 at 4:20 pm

I just use store-bought tortillas. I don’t do anything to them. Hope that helps.
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Taco Tortilla StacksMy Profile

Sandra August 28, 2014 at 9:53 pm

Homemade tortillas grilled in your skillet produce tortillas like storebought. In other words, storebought are NOT raw in the sense of just mixed up, shaped, and rolled out. There has been heat applied!

Jocelyn @BruCrew Life August 7, 2014 at 4:19 pm

Gotta love those family recipes that get made so many times over the years. I love how easy and delicious these look. Now I just need to make a trip to your new place soon, so you can pull out even more of these yummy recipes!!!
Jocelyn @BruCrew Life recently posted..Spicy Chicken PaniniMy Profile

Lauren August 7, 2014 at 6:05 pm

Old family recipes are the best! And this one looks delish!
Lauren recently posted..Chocolate Swiss Roll CakeMy Profile

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust August 7, 2014 at 7:55 pm

Oh my gosh Aimee! These look so good. My mom is going to love them!
Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust recently posted..Brownie Cookies from scratchMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets August 8, 2014 at 9:25 am

Thanks Dorothy :)

Heather @ Shards of Lavender August 7, 2014 at 9:26 pm

I just love recipes that have been handed down through family! Some of my most treasured and most made recipes are from my mom and grandma, written on recipe cards that are smudged and smeared with fingerprints. Thanks for sharing, Aimee!
Heather @ Shards of Lavender recently posted..3 Ingredient Pudding PopsMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets August 8, 2014 at 9:25 am

Oh those precious fingerprint smudges :)

Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction August 8, 2014 at 10:58 am

I love family recipe collections! It’s easy to see why these have been such a hit. They look great!
Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction recently posted..Peanut Butter Banana Chip Granola BarsMy Profile

David @ CookingChat August 10, 2014 at 5:56 am

These look great! Wonderful photos, too. I find my tacos often taste better than they look in photos, but you’ve captured the tastiness nicely here!

Julie Blanner August 10, 2014 at 1:00 pm

Sounds like something my family would enjoy for sure!! Can’t wait to try it for myself!
Julie Blanner recently posted..Baked Nachos | 10 Minute DinnersMy Profile

Claudia August 13, 2014 at 9:31 pm

Consequently delectable! That appears to be impressive!