Apple Banana Carrot Bread is a fruity quick bread topped with sweet cream cheese frosting. It’s like banana bread and carrot cake all in one!
Table of Contents
Why this Banana Bread Works
This freezer-friendly quick bread has everything but the kitchen sink!
- Perfect moist banana bread texture.
- Juicy bites of apple.
- Hint of cinnamon spice.
- Shredded carrots for extra flavor and moisture.
- Cream cheese frosting!
There are so many reasons to love Apple Banana Carrot Bread (or “ABC Bread” as we call it).
The batter comes together in one bowl and makes enough for two loaves. You’ll love one to eat now and one to freeze for later.
- Butter – We use plenty of unsalted butter in this bread for rich flavor and a tender crumb. You can also make this recipe with salted butter; just leave out the added kosher salt.
- Banana – Ripe or even overripe ones are best in this banana bread.
- Carrot – Shredded carrot gives the bread color, flavor and moisture. Store bought carrot shreds tend to be dry, so we suggest shredding whole carrots fresh.
- Apple – Any kind of apple works. We like varieties with a little tartness like pink lady or honeycrisp.
- Sugars – A combination of white and brown sugar brings out the natural sweetness of the bananas.
- Spices – Ground cinnamon and a touch of nutmeg enhance the apple, banana and carrot flavors beautifully.
- Cream cheese frosting – This frosting is a blend of cream cheese, powdered sugar and milk. A teaspoon of vanilla completes the creamy, delicious taste.
Tips and Tricks
- No need to mash the bananas first! Use an electric mixer to mash the banana as you combine it with the butter.
- Want a less sweet apple carrot banana bread? Skip the cream cheese frosting. It’s delicious both ways.
- This bread is perfect for freezing! If you won’t be eating both loaves right away, wrap one in foil and a freezer bag and store in the freezer.
- Apple Banana Carrot Bread keeps well in the refrigerator for about 1 week. Frozen bread stays good for about 3 months.
You can use a box grater or a food processor fitted with a grating disk. If using a box grater, choose the small to medium sized grating holes for perfect size shreds.
We always use the toothpick test. Insert the toothpick into the center of one of the loaves. If it comes out clean with no wet crumbs attached, the bread is ready to come out of the oven.
The apples should be diced small for this apple banana bread. Aim to make them about a quarter inch, but don’t stress if they’re not perfectly equal in size.
Due to the cream cheese frosting this bread does need to be stored in the refrigerator. It can be kept at room temperature safely for about 2 hours at a time.
More Easy Quick Breads
- Sour Cream Banana Bread Recipe
- Amish Friendship Bread
- Apple Cinnamon Bread
- Cinnamon Muffins
- Coconut Banana Bread
- Zucchini Bread
Apple Banana Carrot Bread
For the bread:
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 2 large bananas
- ¾ cup light brown sugar packed
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 3 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ cup milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup finely diced apples
For the frosting:
- 4 ounce cream cheese softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- Grease two 9″ x 5″ loaf pans with baking spray. Set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degree F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine butter and bananas. Blend until bananas are mashed and mixed with butter. Add in sugars and beat until combined.
- Add in flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and milk. Beat until well combined. Add in eggs and beat well. Fold in carrots and apples.
- Pour into greased pans. Bake for 60 minutes, until toothpick in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool on rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely.
- For frosting: beat cream cheese with sugar, milk and vanilla until smooth (about 3-4 minutes). Spread over cooled bread. Slice and enjoy!
Three kinds of bread in one! Apple Banana Carrot Bread is an easy quick bread that tastes even better topped with a thick layer of cream cheese frosting.