Apple Pie Poke Cake
Enjoy the fall Apple harvest with this flavorful Apple Pie Poke Cake. It’s the perfect summer to fall transition recipe!
Be sure to sign up for my email…new recipes in your inbox!
Would you believe me if I said this is my favorite dessert?
I guess I probably claim that often around here. I try to hold out on the TRULY most deserving, and I’ve got to be honest guys. This cake is a hands down winner.
I don’t know what the weather has been like in your next of the woods, but a few weeks ago (when I made this cake) it was cool. Like, I had to put a hoodie and jeans on in the evenings type of cool. Which is definitely not the normal weather for Chicago in August.
And now this week we are being drowned in humidity with 90 degree temperatures (which is more normal and expected).
If you haven’t jumped on the Poke Cake bandwagon, I suggest you do this soon! You may remember this Banana Split Poke Cake recently, this Coconut Pudding Cake from the Spring, and one of my favorites, this dense Banana Caramel Poke Cake from last summer.
Making the perfect poke cake is easy.
Start with a box of cake mix. I usually do a white mix so that the color of your pudding or mix-ins will shine through. Although a chocolate poke cake is certainly something to behold as well.
When the cake comes out of the oven, you have several options. You can do a gelatin poke cake, like this strawberry JELL-O cake. Or you can just make pudding poke cake like the Coconut version I mentioned. Or, go all out, and grab the can of sweetened condensed milk. This creates an over the top, slightly dense, sweet cake.
Today’s version is one with sweetened condensed milk. I also used a bag of sliced Crunch Pak apples (because I seriously love the convenience and taste of their apples) to create a quick cinnamon apple topping. I kept the skins on my sliced apples: a/because I am lazy and b/because I love the chewy apple with the moist cake! Top this cake with a pudding/Cool Whip mixture with some added cinnamon. You won’t be disappointed.
***Want the recipe? Please head on over to the Crunch Pak blog and check it out! Say hello while you’re there too!***
- 1 white cake (prepared in a 13×9 baking dish)
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 4 cup Crunch Pak apple slices, diced
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp salt
- 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 box (3.4 oz) Instant vanilla pudding mix
- 2 cup milk
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 12oz whipped topping, thawed
- Prepare white cake according to box directions for a 13×9 cake.
- While cake is baking, work on cooking the apples. In a large skillet, whisk together the brown sugar with water, 1tsp cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Heat over medium high heat until bubbly, then add diced apples. I leave the skins on (I like the chewy taste, but feel free to remove if desired). Reduce heat to low and simmer apples about 12-15 minutes.
- When cake is done baking, poke holes all over (I use a meat thermometer, you can also use a wooden spoon handle or fork). Pour can of sweetened condensed milk over hot cake. Then pour apple mixture. Spread and smooth until apples are evenly disbursed over top of cake and liquids have drained into the poked holes of the cake.
- Refrigerate 3-4 hours or overnight.
- While cake is in refrigerator, whisk the vanilla pudding with milk and 1tsp cinnamon until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- When ready to serve cake, combine pudding mixture with thawed Cool Whip. Spread over cake, slice and serve. ENJOY!
**I am part of the Ambassador program with Crunch Pak apples. While I have been compensated for this recipe, all opinions are 100% my own**
**There may be affiliate links in this post! By clicking on them, or purchasing recommended items I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I love! Thank you for supporting Shugary Sweets! See my disclosure policy for more info**