Cherry Chocolate Chip Cupcakes – Covered in Swiss meringue frosting and topped with a chocolate covered cherry, these dark chocolate cupcakes are simply irresistible.
Table of Contents
What is Swiss Meringue Frosting
If you’re new to Swiss Meringue style frosting, don’t be afraid!
While it takes a little more effort than your everyday vanilla buttercream, Swiss Meringue frosting is well worth it.
Egg whites get warmed with sugar, beaten to form the stiff peaks that make meringue so good, then combined with butter.
For these cupcakes, you’ll also add a little cherry juice to your Swiss Meringue Frosting to the perfect touch of flavor and color.
It’s such a smooth, buttery frosting and it’s perfect with the cherry and chocolate.
Once you try this cherry version, you may want to revisit my Salted Caramel Swiss Meringue frosting from awhile back too. Both are awesome.
I used my favorite dark chocolate cupcake recipe as the base for this delicious cupcake and was not disappointed. These would be great Valentine’s Day desserts or for any occasion when you want to make a chocolate lover happy!
- Dark cocoa powder – Unsweetened dark chocolate cocoa powder gives these cupcakes the richest chocolate flavor. If needed, you can substitute regular unsweetened cocoa powder.
- Buttermilk – Homemade buttermilk substitute works great here.
- Coffee – Make a little extra coffee in the morning and set it aside to add deeper chocolate flavor to your cupcakes.
- Marachino cherries – Keep the stems on! Set aside the cherry juice to add to your frosting.
Step by Step Instructions
First, make your cupcakes:
STEP 1. Combine the dry ingredients in one bowl and the buttermilk and coffee in another.
STEP 2. Beat the butter, sugar and eggs in a large mixing bowl, then alternate adding the dry ingredients and the coffee mixture until a smooth batter forms.
STEP 3. Fill the lined cavities of a cupcake pan with batter, then bake for about 15 minutes.
Let the cupcakes cool completely while you make the Swiss Meringue Frosting.
To make the frosting:
STEP 1. Bring an inch of water to a boil in a small sauce pan, then reduce the heat to a simmer.
STEP 2. Add sugar to a heat safe bowl and place it over the water. Whisk the egg whites with sugar until the mixture reaches 145 degrees.
STEP 3. Transfer the egg whites to the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat until the meringue is doubled in size.
STEP 4. Gradually beat in the butter, then add salt and cherry juice. Fold in mini chocolate morsels.
Pipe the frosting on to your cupcakes, then dip marachino cherries into melted dark chocolate and place them on top of each cupcake. So pretty and delicious!
Tips and Tricks
- The frosting needs a LOT of time in the mixer to achieve the right consistency. Add the butter very slowly to the meringue and beat beat beat!
- If the butter appears to curdle when you add it to the egg whites, that’s okay. Just keep mixing and it’ll all smooth out.
- I used frosting tip 1A to make swirls on top of the cupcakes. Pipe on in spirals, like an ice cream cone.
No. This is one time when you need to get the ingredients to a precise temperature to have good results.
You probably didn’t mix it for long enough. It needs a full 8 – 10 minutes in the stand mixer on medium speed to get all the butter and cherry juice fully incorporated.
Yes. It makes a beautiful layer cake too. Divide the batter into two 9 inch baking pans sprayed with baking spray and add baking time as needed until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cakes comes out clean.
There’s no day like today for trying your hand at making Swiss Meringue Frosting! Paired with sweet cherry flavor and piped on to rich dark chocolate cupcakes, this heavenly frosting is a must-try.
Who’s ready to bite into a Cherry Chip Cupcake?
More Cupcake Recipes
- Lemon Cupcakes with Lemon Buttercream. One of my most popular recipes. One bite and you’ll understand!
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Frosting…yes, frosting that tastes like cookie dough!!!
- Yellow Cupcake Recipe
- Carrot Cake Cupcakes
- White Chocolate and Peanut Butter Frosting
- Coconut Cupcakes
Cherry Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
FOR THE CUPCAKES:
- ¼ cup unsalted butter softened
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup dark chocolate unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ cup brewed coffee strong
- ¼ cup buttermilk
For the Frosting:
- 5 egg whites
- 1 ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 cup unsalted butter
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup maraschino cherry juice
- ¾ cup mini semi-sweet chocolate morsels
- 24 maraschino cherries with stems
- 2 ounce chocolate Candiquik
- For the cupcakes, mix flour, cocoa, salt, baking soda and baking powder in small bowl. Set aside.
- Mix brewed coffee and milk. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar for 5 minutes until fluffy. Add egg. Slowly add in dry ingredients, alternating with milk mixture (in about 3 additions).
- Pour into lined cupcake pans and bake in a 350 degree oven for 15-18 minutes. Remove and cool completely before frosting.
- For the frosting, heat a small saucepan with one inch of water, bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn down to a low simmer. Place a heat safe mixing bowl over the simmering water. Add egg whites and sugar to bowl, whisking until combined. Attach a candy thermometer and continue whisking over simmering water until temperature reaches 145 degrees F.
- In a clean, dry mixing bowl, attached to a stand mixer with whisk attachment, beat egg white mixture on medium speed until doubled in size and cooled. This process takes 6-10 minutes.
- Slowly beat in butter, 1-2 Tbsp. at a time. Keep mixing until all butter has been added. It may appear curdled, keep mixing. Add salt slowly and add cherry juice. This process takes an additional 8-10 minutes for the addition of butter and juice. Fold mini morsels into frosting.
- Pipe onto cupcakes and enjoy!
- To pipe onto a cupcake like the photo, use tip 1A. Pipe in circles, swirling upward like an ice cream cone.
- To make chocolate cherry garnishes, use maraschino cherries with stems attached. Melt 2oz chocolate candy coating in microwave in 30 second intervals until smooth. Dry the cherries on a paper towel and holding the stem dip each cherry into the melted chocolate. Place upright on a piece of parchment paper. After frosting each cupcake, top with a chocolate covered cherry.
- Recipe makes enough frosting for 18-24 cupcakes, or a 2 layer 9-inch cake.