This flavorful, hearty Best Ever French Onion Soup recipe is a pure bowl of comfort for any night of the week. You’ll love the sweet onions, rich broth and toasted cheese on top!
Love today’s soup? You’ve got to try our instant pot french onion soup next. Same great flavor in less time!
Why this Recipe is Best
I feel like maybe ya’ll don’t need to know how to make Pimp My Brownies or White Trash Candy. Even though they are delicious, they aren’t being “searched for” on my website.
I have found through the years of blogging, that what you DO want, is dinner inspiration.
And while I definitely would not define myself as a great chef or savory cook…I do think that the dinner recipes you’ll find on my website here are easy enough for a new cook. And delicious enough for a great cook!
My goal has always been to share family friendly recipes. Meals that inspire you to gather around your dinner table with those you love.
And while sometimes a recipe may veer off the beaten path, I do try hard to share a mix of classic and new!
One day my children will be adults and I want them to come back to this website and make these recipes for THEIR families.
That being said, one recipe that has been on my list to make for a very long time is French Onion Soup. I’ve avoided making it, let alone sharing a recipe because I thought, it’s too hard.
You guys, just because something takes longer to cook, doesn’t make it hard!
Yes, caramelizing the onions can take 30 minutes, but you don’t have to stand and slave over the pot (just don’t forget about it completely, haha)! I even shared a video on How to Make French Onion Soup, so you can see for yourself how easy it is!
How to Make French Onion Soup
In a large soup pot or dutch oven, saute butter with sliced onions on medium low heat for about 30 minutes. Stir once or twice during that time. Cook the onions until caramelized and browned.
Once the onions caramelized, add in beef broth, garlic, brandy, thyme, salt, and pepper.
Simmer over low heat for an additional 30 minutes, to allow flavors to mingle.
When ready, remove twigs of thyme.
Ladle soup into individual oven safe crocks. Top with toasted baguettes and about 1/2 cup of gruyere cheese.
Broil for several minutes until cheese is browned and melted.
Serve immediately. ENJOY!
Tips for making French Onion Soup Recipe
- Use sweet onions. Not only do they taste amazing when they caramelize, they don’t have that onion “bite” a typical yellow or white onion will have. However, they do tend to have a higher water content, so they may take a little longer to caramelize. But the sweetness only gets better with time, so it’s a win-win!
- Don’t skip the secret ingredient: BRANDY! This adds a wonderful depth of flavor. I’ve heard you can also use white wine or sherry, but I have not tried those options!
- It’s all about the final touch. Adding the toasted bread and cheese. While the soup was simmering, I sliced a baguette (from my grocery bakery) and toasted it in the oven. I also shredded some Gruyere cheese to have ready. When the soup was done simmering, ladle it into your oven safe crocks and top with baguette slices and a handful of cheese. Broil for a few minutes in the oven until melted!
- If you don’t have oven safe crocks, you can toast the baguette with the cheese on them, then drop them onto your individual bowls of soup! ENJOY
What kind of cheese is used in French Onion Soup?
Typically I use Gruyere. You can shred it or use it thinly sliced.
If you can find Gruyere, it’s worth the extra cost for its flavor and texture. If you can’t find Gruyere, you could use Comte or Beaufort, Jarlsberg or Emmental.
What to Serve with French Onion Soup
Whether you serve French Onion Soup as a starter or an entrée, it’s a very versatile dish.
If you want the French Onion Soup to be the entree, pair it with a salad, or a fruit platter!
More Easy Dinners
- I adore making soup for dinner. It’s easy to make and who doesn’t love a good bowl of Chicken Taco Soup or Lasagna Soup?
- Meatloaf. Mom’s classic recipe!
- Instant Pot Crack Chicken Pasta