Skinny Shamrock Shake
Who needs the wasted calories and fat in a classic Shamrock Milkshake? Try making this easy, creamy, delicious SKINNY Shamrock Shake instead!
Be sure to follow me on Bloglovin’
So I’m going to confess that once upon a time I used to be addicted to McDonald’s milkshakes. Particularly the Shamrock Shakes.
I would get so excited this time of year and I would seriously drop my son off at afternoon kindergarten, then take my daughter for a car ride knowing that she would fall asleep and I could enjoy a creamy milkshake in peace and quiet.
Don’t judge. I never claimed to be the perfect parent.
Through the years though, those McD’s shakes gave me stomach aches. So I’ve made them at home using thick, creamy ice cream.
This week I had one of those AHA moments. I’ve seen people take frozen bananas and whip them in the blender until it becomes creamy like ice cream. Why not try it with the Shamrock Shake?
It worked perfectly. I put my frozen bananas in the blender with the milk and mint extract. I let it blend for about 5 minutes, scraping down the sides several times.
Instead of adding in green food coloring, I wanted to keep this recipe wholesome. I added in spinach leaves. WAIT.. WAIT.. Don’t go. I only added in about 4 leaves to achieve the light green color. You can add more. You can add green food coloring. But I promise, 4 spinach leaves did NOT alter the taste at all!! The mint outshined everything!
I topped my Skinny Shamrock Shake with some fat free whipped cream. Okay, forget wholesome. It was out of a can, hehe! But c’mon, it’s not as bad as green food coloring right?
I also added a small sprinkle of mini chocolate chips. Don’t you DARE try to argue me out of that decision!!
So, to recap. I made a creamy, almost wholesome, completely SKINNY Shamrock Shake. I think you need this in your life. I enjoyed this after my workout.
PS. The taste is a little different than a McD’s shake, but knowing how low in fat this shake is, makes it worth every sip!
PSS. It’s also good with a scoop of vanilla protein powder. Boom.
Connect with Shugary Sweets! Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Skinny Shamrock Shake
Yield: 2 servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes
- 3 1/2 large frozen bananas, peeled
- 3/4 cup fat free milk
- 3/4 tsp peppermint extract
- 3-5 small spinach leaves, for coloring
- 2 Tbsp fat free whipped cream
- 1 Tbsp mini chocolate chips
- In a large blender, combine frozen bananas with milk and extract.
- Blend for about 5 minutes, scraping down the sides, until smooth. Add in spinach leaves and blend until desired color.
- Pour into two glasses and top with whipped cream and chocolate chips.
- You can also use a food processor to blend the bananas too!
- Substitute fresh mint leaves for the spinach for an even mintier treat!
MAKING THIS RECIPE? Share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #ShugarySweets so I can see what you're cooking up in the kitchen!
Love SHAKES? I’ve got ya covered!
Caramel Coffee Milkshakes: the perfect afternoon pick me up!
Chocolate Donut Milkshake: I’ve just made milkshakes acceptable for breakfast!
Banana Split Smoothie: another classic dessert in a healthy smoothie treat!
Great Shake Recipes from some of my favorite blogs:
- Strawberries and Cream Smoothie from Averie Cooks
- Mocha Fudge Milkshake from Inside BruCrew Life
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Milkshake from Rachel Cooks
- Mocha Java Milkshake from Damn Delicious
- Guinness Milkshake from Lemons for Lulu
**There may be affiliate links in this post! By clicking on them, or purchasing recommended items I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I love! Thank you for supporting Shugary Sweets! See my disclosure policy for more info**