Turtle Cheeseball – If you’re looking for a sweet cheese ball recipe, you’re in the right place. With caramel, pecans and chocolate chips, this is a great dip to serve with apples, animal crackers or grahams.
What is Turtle Cheese Ball?
A cheese ball is a cheese based dip, usually cream cheese or another soft cheese variety, served–you guessed it–in the shape of a ball. Surrounded by a wreath of crackers, cheese balls are designed to be shared with a crowd.
Most cheese balls I’ve had are savory, so I’m always on the hunt for good sweet cheese ball recipes. This turtle take on the concept is everything I wanted and more.
It has the signature pecans and chocolate along with two forms of caramel–caramel pieces and thick caramel sauce. Whenever I bring out this sweet cheese ball to serve to company, it gets rave reviews and disappears quicker than just about everything on the table.
You can serve it as an appetizer or alongside dessert for an after dinner treat. (After-tizer? I’ll work on that one.)
Sweet Turtle Cheese Ball Recipe
Here’s what you need to make Turtle Cheese Ball:
- Cream cheese
- Powdered sugar
- Light brown sugar
- Caramel pieces – I used Kraft caramel baking bits because they’re the perfect size.
- Caramel sauce – Caramel ice cream topping works great!
- Chopped pecans– Toast the pecans for best flavor!
- Mini chocolate chips
Today’s recipe is easy to put together. You can make it the day before if you’d like and keep it in the fridge.
How to make Turtle Cheese Ball:
STEP 1. Mix the cream cheese, butter, sugars and caramel sauce together in a bowl along with half of the chocolate chips.
STEP 2. Drop the entire bowl of cheese ball mixture onto a piece of plastic wrap. I wrap the plastic around it and shape it into a ball, then refrigerate this ball for about an hour.
STEP 3. Unwrap and roll the ball into a bowl filled with the rest of the mini chocolate chips, the pecans and the caramel pits, pressing them into the ball gently. Rewrap your cheeseball into a new piece of plastic wrap.
Keep wrapped until ready to serve!
To serve the dip: Place on the center of a serving platter surrounded by your choice of dippers. You can also serve the ball on the center of a plate with the dippers in separate bowls on the side.
What to serve with a sweet cheese ball
- Pretzels, apple slices, and animal crackers are a few of my favorite vehicles for scooping up this dip.
- For even more sweetness, crunchy cookies would be delicious. Think Biscoff cookies, shortbread or even Oreos. Of course it’s great spread onto graham crackers too!
- Our baked cinnamon sugar tortilla chips are also perfect!
If you like a combination of sweet and salty tastes, try scooping the turtle cheese ball with Ritz crackers. (It tastes a bit like those Ritz cracker cookies but with caramel. Amazing!)
How to store cheese ball
You can make this up to a day in advance and keep wrapped in plastic in the fridge until you’re ready to serve. If you end up with leftovers, rewrap what’s left in plastic to maintain the ball shape and keep in the fridge. Enjoy the leftovers within one day.
More Appetizer Recipes
- Beef and Onion Cheeseball
- Toffee Chocolate Chip Cheeseball: can use any holiday sprinkles!!!
- Reese’s Cookie Dough Dip. No description necessary!
- Spinach Artichoke Dip – in the Instant Pot
- 7 Layer Dip
This sweet cheese ball recipe with all the components of turtle candy is sure to steal the spotlight next time you entertain!