Homemade Taco Seasoning

by aimee @ shugarysweets on January 16, 2014

Ditch that high sodium taco seasoning and make some Homemade Taco Seasoning instead! It’s so easy!!

Be sure to follow me on Bloglovin’

Homemade Taco Seasoning recipe

Every February my husband and I initiate a spending freeze at our house. We’ve done it several years in a row, and for the most part it’s been quite successful.

Basically, we try to not spend any extra (fun) money during month. We pay our bills of course, but eliminate much of the “extra stuff.” I typically try to only purchase produce and dairy each week, keeping a budget of under $100 a week. With 6 people and 2 dogs in our family, and shopping organic for those items, this is tough. Oh, and don’t forget I’m a food blogger! I typically spend closer to $400 week on groceries and toiletries!

There are several goals of the spending freeze:

1. Empty the pantry. Over the course of a year I have a tendency to overstock our pantry, our freezers and our cabinets with food. By going on a spending freeze, this gives us the opportunity to consume those items! I try to create our menu each week based on what I have on hand. Soup is one of the best ways to toss in a bunch of stuff and hope it taste good, haha!
  2. Refocus on menu planning. Because of the limited budget for food, and the elimination of all eating out in February, menu planning is key! This helps me get back in the routine of planning our dinner menu for the week. When the menu is planned, there’s no last minute “I don’t know what to make tonight, let’s just go eat out” moments.
  3. Get Creative! It’s fun and challenging to go through my candy and chocolate stash during February. Since food blogging is my job, I still have to create recipes. This gives me an opportunity to try things outside the box! It’s also a great month to make White Trash Candy, using up the extras in the pantry!
  4. Focus on the family. This is a great time to play family board games, watch movies together and just hang out! The kids have learned if it costs money, we won’t be doing it!
  5. Save money. Obviously by eliminating the “excess” our family has an opportunity to save money. This is a valuable lesson we enjoy helping our kids be a part of learning. They are quite aware of the February spending freeze and the limited food budget. I try to get them involved in the menu planning process and grocery shopping to teach them that you really have to watch what you put in your grocery cart because it adds up fast! We also discuss the saving of money and how we will use this saved money. In the past, this has been our vacation money so it’s exciting to see how fun it is to save. Some years we find a charity (or just our church) to give an extra large donation!

Having a limited grocery budget means, I WILL run out of something I want. Frequently. Especially if you know my family and learn how often we eat some sort of taco seasoned food. Several years ago in the middle of our “No Spend February” I ran out of taco seasoning. I know the seasoning packets don’t cost much to purchase at the store, but it got me thinking, I bet I can make this at home!

Unfortunately I don’t remember where I got the inspiration for this recipe, as I’ve been using it much longer than I’ve been a food blogger. But after searching online a bit, it seems there are NUMEROUS variations similar to this one! Feel free to add or subtract seasonings as you like. Add more red pepper flakes for a spicier taco seasoning! I occasionally will add 1 Tbsp cornstarch or flour with this seasoning, depending on the recipe I am using it for (to help thicken). I don’t store it with the flour or cornstarch, because some recipes it’s unnecessary!!

Homemade Taco Seasoning recipe

Facebook | Twitter | Google+

Pinterest | instagram | Bloglovin’

Save your favorite recipes to your personal recipe box with the     button on all my recipes! Create a Meal Plan with your “favorited” recipes and the ingredients will automatically be added to your own Grocery List!

Homemade Taco Seasoning

Yield: about 3 Tbsp

Easy to make Homemade Taco Seasoning

• 1 1/2 Tbsp chili powder
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 tsp oregano
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1 tsp minced onion
  • 1/2 tsp ground coriander

1. Mix all ingredients in a small bowl or mini mason jar with lid. Store in airtight container in cool, dry place.

Notes

Add more red pepper flakes for a spicier taco seasoning! I usually double or triple this recipe when making it so that I have it on hand at all times!

Check out these Taco Roasted Chickpeas! Substitute homemade taco seasoning in this recipe!

spicy-roasted-chickpeas-2

Other great “HOMEMADE” recipes:

Copycat “Shake and Bake’ seasoning

Vanilla Sugar

more from my friends…

Homemade Cake Flour from I am Baker

Homemade Cool Whip from Something Swanky

Homemade Enchilada Sauce from Kitchen Meets Girl

Melissa-in-NJ January 16, 2014 at 1:23 pm

WOW, this is a great idea — these taco packets run over a dollar per by me, so that was making me crabby. What is the reconstituting recipe, though? How much water, if any, do you use? How much powder per pound of beef? Also, I like the tomato-y aspect of the sauce, have you experimented with tomato powder? I have had trouble finding it, and I think ordering it over the internet would undo the money savings. How much tomato sauce would you add, if you did? Thanks.

aimee @ shugarysweets January 16, 2014 at 2:06 pm

Hi Melissa, great questions!!
If I’m just make taco meat to put on a taco or salad, I would usually use about 1 1/2 Tbsp per pound of meat. I would also add in about 1/3 cup water and 1 Tbsp cornstarch. If it’s ground turkey I would use less water (doesn’t seem to soak it up as well).
I’ve never seen tomato powder!? You could add in a tablespoon (maybe more, maybe less) of tomato paste to get that tomato flavor? It’s more constituted than sauce, and won’t make your meat liquid-y. You can freeze your remaining paste in ice cube trays.
Hope this helps!!!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Homemade Taco SeasoningMy Profile

Lisa January 17, 2014 at 10:30 am

I think the tomato powder she is referring to is actually tomato bouillon. You can find it with the other bouillon usually. If but there than on the international aisle with the Mexican food stuff.

Tanya January 16, 2014 at 4:50 pm

I buy the big taco seasoning from costco but I want to try this when I run out. I love the idea of having a month of not spending anything extra. I will sugest this to my husband.
Tanya recently posted..Keys to Attracting Top TalentMy Profile

Averie @ Averie Cooks January 16, 2014 at 6:35 pm

Such a great idea to make your own! I make my own pumpkin pie spice but never savory seasonings. Pinned
Averie @ Averie Cooks recently posted..Roasted Winter Squash, Cranberry, and Almond Salad with Lemon Dijon Balsamic VinaigretteMy Profile

Becca @ Crumbs and Chaos January 16, 2014 at 6:49 pm

I love making my own seasoning mix – the way you’ve displayed it on the slate is super fabulous! No spend February sounds like a great idea and a great example for the kids :)
Becca @ Crumbs and Chaos recently posted..Simple Southwest Potatoes {Alexia Blog Party + Giveaway}My Profile

Laura @ Lauras Baking Talent January 16, 2014 at 8:00 pm

What a fun idea! Good luck with Feb :)
Laura @ Lauras Baking Talent recently posted..Pimento Cheese SpreadMy Profile

Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet January 18, 2014 at 4:01 am

Homemade taco seasoning is a great idea!
Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet recently posted..Pesto and Bacon Pizza AppetizerMy Profile

C L January 19, 2014 at 9:40 pm

I am definitely going to make this. The MSG in a lot of seasoning packets is bad news for my husband so homemade sounds really good. Will let you know how it turns out. :)

Jocelyn@Brucrewlife January 19, 2014 at 11:45 pm

Yay for homemade taco seasoning!! :) I am totally going to be trying this the next time we have tacos! :)
Jocelyn@Brucrewlife recently posted..Cherry Chocolate Chip DipMy Profile

Nutmeg Nanny January 22, 2014 at 12:34 pm

I just love homemade seasonings :) will be keeping this mixture handy!
Nutmeg Nanny recently posted..Spicy Penne alla Vodka {11 piece Anolon Cookware Giveway}My Profile

Renee @ Awesome on $20 January 26, 2014 at 8:06 pm

We try to limit our spending as much as possible pretty much year round. Making your own seasoning mixes is a great idea. I can’t wait to try your version of taco seasoning!
Renee @ Awesome on $20 recently posted..Sunday Brunch: Duke’sMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 27, 2014 at 7:38 am

Thanks Renee, hope you like it :)

Anonymous January 28, 2014 at 8:14 pm

Great idea! I can’t wait to try this and add this to a gift basket, thank you for sharing. I see a lot of comments about how this may save them money. I understand that, but the REAL value is that I will actually know what I will be flavoring my family’s meat with. There seems to be a lot of non-natural things in those taco seasoning packets-yuck. You have some great recipes! Thank you!!

Becky February 4, 2014 at 3:22 pm

Was going to make chicken tacos, didn’t realize that we were out of packets…thus great time to try home made. Tastes just like the packets! Thanks!