Welcome Fall with this Apple Cranberry Upside Bundt Cake recipe. Move over pineapple cake, there’s a new twist to a classic recipe just in time for the holidays!
*I am part of the Ambassador program with Crunch Pak apples. While I have been compensated for this recipe, all opinions are 100% my own**
Can we talk about weather for a minute? Here in Chicago, it’s unseasonably warm. Now, don’t get me wrong, I love warm weather. LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I could live in warm weather ALL YEAR LONG.
But my issue is I equally love wearing fall clothes, LOL. I mean, this girl loves a good pair of jeans, chunky sweater, and some boots.
My fear is we’re going to skip fall completely at this point and go from warm weather to freezing cold. And at that point nobody will see me in my cute sweater and boots because I hibernate come cold, snowy season!
And let’s also talk about food. I love soups and easy crock pot meals. Apple and pumpkin desserts are my JAM this time of year!
So, while the sun is shining and I’m wearing shorts and a tank top, I’ll continue to enjoy ALL THE APPLES in October.
I’m sure you’ve all heard (or enjoyed) an upside down pineapple cake.
Am I right? That gooey brown sugar topping with the caramelized fruit?
I took that same concept and used apples! To make this a spectacular holiday treat, I added cranberries!
Such a fun, seasonal touch, that’s totally optional (but similar to an upside down pineapple cake that has cherries, I thought cranberries would be a great twist)!
Tips and Tricks
- Start with a large tube pan or bundt pan. For a “flat top” look I used this pan. It’s typically used for Angel Food Cake, but it worked perfect in today’s upside down bundt cake. You can also use a bundt pan (this one is my favorite). You can choose to lay the apples flat or place them vertical in the bundt pan grooves and pour the cranberries in to help support them. Then pour your batter in like you normally would!
- SPRAY your pan. Do not be skimpy. You are making a gooey brown sugar caramel sauce…and unless you want to lose the entire top of your cake, spray the pan. And then spray it again. Or use grease, and be generous.
- Once you’ve baked your cake, remove it from the oven and let it cool in the pan for about 10 minutes. Then use a cake stand or flat plate and place it on top of the cake pan. Flip it over (together, like in my video) and slowly let the cake release itself, sliding the pan up while the cake remains on the plate. Quickly fix any mistakes and fallen cranberries. Then smile and breathe again, because if you’re like me, you held your breath the whole time!
- Store this cake at room temperature, covered. It’s delicious with a scoop of ice cream or some fresh whipped cream too! ENJOY.
More Apple Recipes
More Easy Cake Recipes
Welcome Fall with this Apple Cranberry Upside Bundt Cake recipe. Move over pineapple cake, there's a new twist to a classic recipe just in time for the holidays!
For the topping:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 7-10 Crunch Pak Apple Rings
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
For the cake:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cup milk
- For the cake, grease and flour bundt pan (or use a generous amount of baking spray). Set aside. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a small bowl, combine melted butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon for the topping. Line a layer of apple rings in the bottom of the prepared bundt pan. Sprinkle with cranberries. Pour brown sugar mixture over fruit and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add in softened butter and beat until crumbly. Beat in eggs, vanilla, cinnamon and milk. Beat for 3-4 minutes until smooth and fluffy.
- Pour cake mixture into prepared bundt pan. Bake for 50-55 minutes until browned. Allow to cool in pan for about 10 minutes, then flip onto a cake plate and cool completely.
- Slice and enjoy! Store at room temperature, covered, for freshness.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 352Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 74mgSodium: 207mgCarbohydrates: 50gFiber: 4gSugar: 30gProtein: 4g
*Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietitian for special diet advice.