Sweet Potato Tex Mex Skillet
This Sweet Potato Tex Mex Skillet is an easy, weeknight meal idea! Perfect vegetarian dish for Meatless Mondays!
I always thought dinner with 4 toddlers was hard. Life was busy back then, when my kids were little, but it pales in comparison to life with teenagers (and a preteen).
While I’m not physically exhausted by dinner time, I’m mentally DONE. Trying to keep track of all our schedules, who has to be where and when, and helping with homework, OMG. Seriously. I don’t know what I would do if I didn’t have a husband who is amazing. Not only does he eat grilled cheese with a smile on his face, if that’s all I can get around to putting together for dinner, but he is THE BEST homework helper.
Somehow I graduated college with a Bachelor’s degree…yet I can’t understand sentence structure or basic geometry. I’m sure it’s from all those pregnancies and lost brain cells (right???). Needless to say, my sweet husband is there for our kids.
And while he is pouring over homework, I’ve been heading to the kitchen to come up with some healthy dinner ideas. With a house full of active kids, we need something that not only tastes amazing, but fills us up too.
Today’s Sweet Potato Tex Mex Skillet is awesome. Ready and on the table in under 30 minutes, this dish is HEALTHY comfort food! It’s vegetarian as written, but you can also skip the cheese to make it vegan too. I’m still working on making healthy meatless meals that I know my family will enjoy, and this one has become part of our regular rotation. It’s that good. And it’s hearty enough that my family doesn’t even miss the meat!
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #shugarysweets so I can see all the wonderful SHUGARY SWEETS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Shugary Sweets! Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
- 1 Tbsp oil (I prefer coconut oil)
- 6 cups diced sweet potatoes (about 1 lb)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 cup diced peppers (I use a variety of sweet red and green bell peppers...about 2 total)
- 1 can (14 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15oz) corn, drained
- 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp cumin
- 1 Tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
- 1 avocado, diced or sliced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, snipped
- Heat oil in large skillet on medium heat and add diced sweet potatoes, onion, and garlic. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in peppers and cook another 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add black beans, corn, diced tomatoes, cumin, taco seasoning, juice of 1 lime, and salt. Heat until it begins to boil, then reduce heat to low. Cook covered fora bout 15 minutes until potatoes are soft.
- Sprinkle with cheese and add avocado and cilantro. Serve hot over rice. ENJOY!
Need more dinner inspiration?
Smoky Sweet Potato Chili: a delicious vegan dinner idea. Plus, another sweet potato recipe!
Spicy Grilled Fish with Citrus Slaw: this is our “go-to” fish seasoning recipe. Healthy and tasty!
Santa Fe Stuffed Peppers: packed with flavor, you’ll love this variation on a classic dinner recipe!
**There may be affiliate links in this post! By clicking on them, or purchasing recommended items I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I love! Thank you for supporting Shugary Sweets! See my disclosure policy for more info**