Strawberry Struedel

by aimee @ shugarysweets on April 26, 2012

struedel
My kids love Pillsbury toaster strudels. I love that I can make myself one for breakfast too. I mean seriously, this was genius, it’s like a strawberry pie for breakfast!

Using Puff Pastry, and about 5 minutes prep plus 15 minutes baking, you can make these at home! Pie for breakfast, seriously.

I used strawberry pie filling, but think of the possibilities here people. Apple pie filling? Apple PIE FOR BREAKFAST! Thank you pillsbury for changing our mindset on what’s acceptable.

Okay, if you’re “one of those people” who eat something like oatmeal, and flax seed and berries for breakfast, then…

why are you here?

Kidding. You’re here cause you are going to make this for dessert! That’s the beauty of these struedels. Breakfast or dessert, they are delicious and easy!

Strawberry Struedel

Yield: 12

• 1 pkg Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry (2 sheets)
  • 1 can (21oz) strawberry pie filling
  • 2 oz cream cheese
  • 2 cup powdered sugar
  • 2 Tbsp milk

1. Thaw puff pastry according to package directions. Unfold and cut each sheet of pastry along seams (making 3 strips on each). Cut each strip in half, for a total of 6 rectangles on each sheet (12 in all). Poke many times with a fork and lay on parchment lined baking sheet.
  2. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 10-12 minutes. Spoon strawberry filling into center of pastry, careful to not go over edges. Return to oven for 3-4 minutes.
  3. Meanwhile, beat cream cheese with powdered sugar and milk for about 3 minutes until creamy. Add more milk to get to desired consistency.
  4. Remove pastries from oven and drizzle with cream cheese frosting. Serve warm!
  5. **you can also add some of the cream cheese filling to the pastry. Spoon a dollop on the pastry, add the strawberry pie filling, return to oven for 3-4 minutes. Then drizzle with more frosting. This is MY favorite! You may need to double the filling/frosting if you do it this way though!

Holly April 27, 2012 at 12:12 am

I would love one, or five of these for dessert right now! Mmmm :)

Amarie April 27, 2012 at 1:21 am

OMG, that looks awesome! Must try! Thanks for sharing. :)

Hayley April 27, 2012 at 3:05 am

I LOVE Toaster Streudels! They’re so yummy, and I only had them when I spent the night at one friend’s house as a kid since my mom didn’t buy them for us. But I have fond memories of them and these look even better!

Jocelyn April 27, 2012 at 3:54 am

My kids love toaster struedels…I love that now I can make them from home!!!

Averie @ Averie Cooks April 27, 2012 at 4:13 am

I love puff pastry & just hosted a giveaway for a cookbook using it. THis looks AMAZING. I WANT!

Kristin April 27, 2012 at 4:51 am

This is such a good idea. I’ve eaten more toaster streudels than I can count in my day!

carolinaheartstrings April 27, 2012 at 1:46 pm

This looks amazing. Great idea!!!!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers April 27, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Yum! What a great recipe! The pictures look beautiful!

Cassie/Bake Your Day April 27, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Oh my goodness, these could be so dangerous!

Heather Kinnaird April 27, 2012 at 4:02 pm

looks amazing! I’m going to have to make these soon

Crunchy Creamy Sweet April 27, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Tempting, tempting! Your photos are amazing – it makes you feel like you can actually reach and grab one of the strudels! :) YUM!

Renee @ Tortillas and Honey April 27, 2012 at 10:27 pm

Wow, this looks better than a toaster strudel! You can put as much filling and frosting as you want. ;-) Never even thought of making my own, great idea!

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust April 28, 2012 at 1:51 am

Pie for breakfast…um could I love you any more? Oh, the possibilities… :)

Stella B's Kitchen April 28, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Seriously, I want to live at your house with all the fabulously looking sweets you make!!

Erin April 28, 2012 at 2:39 pm

This is awesome! We love those Toaster Struedels too. Bu they are so darn expensive. This is perfect! Thanks!

Allison April 29, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Amy! Yum. Your must have happy kids.

Recipes We Love April 29, 2012 at 1:13 pm

I love these! My son loves poptarts but I want to figure out something I can make at home that he might like just as well and these may just be it!! Found you on Sweet as Sugar Cookies party.

Amber

Carol, The Answer Is Chocolate April 29, 2012 at 3:38 pm

Oh this looks wonderful. Thanks for sharing at this week’s BFF Open House.

YummyInspirations April 30, 2012 at 1:40 am

Would be an indulgent breakfast treat! Would love you to share it at Breakfast Ideas Mondays – http://www.yummyinspirations.net/2012/04/breakfast-ideas-mondays-2.html

Nicola April 30, 2012 at 10:13 am

Yum! This looks like my ideal breakfast. Great creative recipe!

SayNotSweetAnne April 30, 2012 at 4:51 pm

LOL! You made me snicker about those who eat flax seed for breakfast. =D Alas, I don’t have time for something like this on the weekdays… but the WEEKENDS! Ugh, I’m already imagining a nutella+marshmallow variation. Great Job thanks for sharing! And if you have the time, I’d love for you to share on Sweet Sharing Monday! http://saynotsweetanne.com/2012/sweet-sharing-monday-3/

Krissy Sherman Bonning May 1, 2012 at 12:30 pm

You’re right – the possibilities are endless! Thanks for the inspiration. YUM!

Shannon May 1, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Those look delicious! You’re right that there are lots of ways to mix it up too!

Six Sisters May 2, 2012 at 2:33 am

We are big toaster strudel lovers, so this looks very delicious! Thanks for being a part of our “Strut Your Stuff Saturday.” Hope to see you again real soon!! -The Sisters

Me And My Sweets May 3, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Yum Yum!!! I just found your blog on foodie friday. I’ll host a party every month with a different theme and would love you to join! Please visit my blog for more information on “My Sweet Party” post uploaded 2nd of May.

Johanna

Tiffany@craft,interrupted October 30, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Oh yummy! I love struedel! I have to put this on my list of breakfasts to make!
Tiffany@craft,interrupted recently posted..October Theme Week RecapMy Profile

Meghan @ The Tasty Fork October 30, 2012 at 4:02 pm

This brings back memories! As a kid, I would always beg my mom to get me toaster streudels. She was so sweet and would give in. I’m totally gonna make these. I bet they’re waaay better than the frozen kind from the store :)

deanna December 27, 2012 at 11:37 am

Um…how would you put the filling INSIDE the pastry? Just curious. Thanks!

aimee @ shugarysweets December 27, 2012 at 12:37 pm

You can cut two pieces place the filling inside and pinch the edges. Might work?!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Cheeseball for New YearsMy Profile

John August 8, 2013 at 7:01 pm

Hi, there. This looks awesome, but Pinterest won’t let me pin it with “broken” images. Could you please fix that? Thank you so very much.

Dianne April 7, 2014 at 5:29 pm

Just so you now – having made these for awhile now and LOVE them – if you cut your dough into squares, add the filling to the middle and fold over to triangle shape, bake then ice…..you have an Arby’s turnover fascimile. And who doesn’t love those things!!

aimee @ shugarysweets April 8, 2014 at 7:20 am

Great tip Dianne!! Glad you enjoyed the recipe :)