Hummus

by aimee @ shugarysweets on August 29, 2012

I love hummus.

I haven’t always loved hummus, but as I’ve grown older and wiser my palate has accepted this strange dish.

Usually, I make my red pepper hummus, a recipe that I got from a church friend.

But a couple weeks ago I went to lunch at a local restaurant with a friend.

We were told to try the hummus, and we did (I always do as I’m told).

This hummus was the best I’ve ever eaten. No seriously. Creamy, flavorful. DELISH.

So I set out to make it myself. I googled how to make hummus creamy. Everyone had ideas!

Using the basic ingredients and ideas I made my own version, and I think it’s pretty close.
Copy Cat Aladdin’s Hummus

by Shugary Sweets

• 2 cans (15oz each) garbanzo beans, peeled
  • 1/2 cup tahini
  • 1/3 cup lemon juice (about 2 lemons, juiced)
  • 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 5 cloves garlic
  • 3 Tbsp olive oil, divided
  • 1/4 cup water (or reserved juice from beans)
  • 1 pinch paprika
In food processor add drained (peeled) garbanzo beans, tahini, lemon juice, salt, garlic and 2 Tbsp olive oil. Blend for several minutes, adding water a tablespoon at a time (or using drained water from beans).
Add more or less water to desired consistency. To get it creamy (similar to Aladdin’s), I added about 3-4 Tbsp water.
Spread on large plate (or pie plate). Sprinkle with paprika and drizzle with remaining olive oil. Serve with warm pita or pita chips. Enjoy!

Miss Pants August 29, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Love love your blog.

A little tip if you have more time, use dried beans. You have to cook them but it makes the smoothest creamiest hummus. We cheat more often and use the cans but you can definitely tell the difference.

Aimee August 30, 2012 at 1:08 am

I can only imagine how much better it is with non-canned beans. I’m just lazy :)

We Are Not Martha August 29, 2012 at 4:20 pm

I love eating and making hummus, too! Yours looks AWESOME- I love that you added 5 garlic cloves :) The more garlic-y, the better!

Sues

April Phillips August 29, 2012 at 4:44 pm

I MUST try this! Haven’t had good hummus in years!

Lizzy Do August 29, 2012 at 6:24 pm

I eat hummus on most days…and your recipe is quite similar to mine. I’m going to start drizzling with some olive oil and add more garlic, like yours :)

Pamela August 29, 2012 at 7:27 pm

Ok this is the 4th time this week that I have seen recipes for HUMMUS I guess that means that I need to make it! Pinning so I can make this next week! Looks delicious!

Aimee August 30, 2012 at 1:09 am

4 times? yeah, you need this!!!

Lisa {Sweet 2 Eat Baking} August 29, 2012 at 8:48 pm

I’m ashamed to say in my 31 years, I’ve never tried hummus. I really need to do something about that and your recipe looks great. Thanks for sharing.

-Lisa.
Sweet 2 Eat Baking

Aimee August 30, 2012 at 1:09 am

I have a whole bowl in the fridge if you want to stop on over :)

MaryKaye March 3, 2013 at 3:48 pm

I too have seen several hummus recipes float by this week. I need to make this. We love hummus. Can’t to the one with red peppers, hubby allergic to peppers. I will let you know when I make it and how long it lasted. lol

Ashley August 29, 2012 at 9:26 pm

I just stumbled upon your blog on Pinterest and wondered if it was the same Aladdins that I know and love (I live in the Akron area so two locations within 15 min). I plan on trying the recipe but what really makes the hummus is the hot sauce you order on the side. If you go again you must try it. Also the lentil soup is to die for (but order feta cheese for in it!)

Aimee August 30, 2012 at 1:10 am

Ooooh, I didn’t know you can get hot sauce on the side! I haven’t tried the lentil soup yet either. I had some type of lamb pita…and today (yep, today) I had a salad with marinated chicken and cilantro dressing…ate every single bite. Plus hummus. Plus dessert.

sally @ sallys baking addiction August 29, 2012 at 10:11 pm

OMG. Hummus is at the bottom of my food pyramid. NO lie, I sometimes eat it by the spoonful!! I’m so weird! I can never get it enough. The carrots, pita, and cucumbers are just my little accessories… I’m really after all the hummus! This looks impeccable Aimee! You can’t make a good hummus without Tahini, I swear by it!

OMG I’m drooling.

Aimee August 30, 2012 at 1:11 am

That is too funny!! I use the chips as a spoon :)

Medeja August 29, 2012 at 11:05 pm

I usually make with chickpeas that I cook, I’m just wandering does it taste different with the canned chickpeas? :)

Aimee August 30, 2012 at 1:11 am

I bet it tastes better with homemade beans vs. canned. Call me lazy :) I’d rather make from scratch cakes!

Jocelyn August 30, 2012 at 12:00 am

Can you believe that we just started eating hummus just this year? I love love LOVE the stuff! One of these days I will have to break down and buy the tahini…I just use olive oil, garlic, and jalapenos for the liquid. I’ll have to try the water trick next time. That will definitely save on calories from the oil:-)

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust August 30, 2012 at 12:47 am

I LOVE hummus. It’s so good. I saw the title of your post this morning and immediately I knew that was what was going to be my lunch and it was! :)

Aimee August 30, 2012 at 1:12 am

haha, too funny!

baking.serendipity August 30, 2012 at 1:42 am

I love when hummus is creamy. Definitely trying this recipe!

Anonymous August 30, 2012 at 1:47 am

White cannelloni beans make an awesome hoummos as well. VERY smooth because the bean is so much softer. Tastes the same as Chick Pea hoummos.

Aimee August 30, 2012 at 10:45 am

I will have to remember that and give it a try!!! Thank you!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers August 30, 2012 at 10:42 am

Your hummus recipe sounds amazing!!! Yummy!

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction August 30, 2012 at 2:53 pm

This hummus recipe sounds wonderful! I am always snacking on hummus!

Anonymous August 30, 2012 at 4:15 pm

I love hummus (and it is currently my snack of choice) but have never made it myself. Anxious to give your recipe a try – thanks!

wallflourgirl September 5, 2012 at 11:41 pm

I go through approximately 3 tubs of Trader Joe’s Mediterranean hummus per week, no joke. (If you’ve never tried it–you need to!) I’ve been recently endowed with a food processor that will hopefully save my wallet, and this will be the next thing that goes in it. Thanks so much for sharing!

research paper September 16, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Hummus is my favorite dish in your post i like your Hummus recipie.and i trying it.

Mary ~ September 20, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Aladdin’s hummus is my favorite, so I can’t wait to try this recipe – I just pinned it! Now if I could just figure out the recipe for their hot sauce (I pour that on top of my hummus) – what a great share! Thank you!

high quality website design October 11, 2012 at 9:25 am

Opens millions of doors to your prospects and customers to view your high quality products and services online 24×7.Represents a long lasting first impression of your products and services.

LLV June 18, 2013 at 7:09 pm

Are there any comments/reviews from anyone who has actually MADE this? Or just a bunch of comments saying “OMG I HAVE to make this”???

LLV June 21, 2013 at 10:19 am

Okay, well I made this myself. It’s not bad, but turned out VERY salty and I followed the recipe to a T. Shugary Sweets is right, Aladdin’s Eatery has the best hummus I’ve ever eaten and I think I’ll just go back to getting it from them.

LLV June 21, 2013 at 10:55 am

I would like to add, however, that despite the saltiness, this recipe is the closest to Aladdin’s that I’ve tried yet. So thanks!

Danielle August 24, 2013 at 6:20 pm

Just made this for the third time. I omit the salt completely in this recipe and cut the oil by half. Still amazing and delicious! I’ve also added roasted red peppers before and it’s scrumptious! Best hummus recipe I’ve ever used. I don’t have a desire to try any other. This recipe is a staple in my diet now. Thanks for sharing!

April December 21, 2013 at 1:06 am

Good! Don’t recommend using the bean juice instead of water, its too much. will change that next time, but otherwise a keeper!

shell January 30, 2014 at 8:36 am