Boston Cream Donuts

Easy, fried Boston Cream Donuts in under 30 minutes! Made using Pillsbury Grands biscuits and filled with a creamy pudding mixture, these are sure to tempt you! Don’t forget the rich chocolate ganache!

Boston Cream Donuts: easy, fast, delicious with Pillsbury Grands, pudding mix and chocolate ganache!

Well, school is in full swing and it’s time for Curriculum nights. In the younger grades, it’s not so painful. You sit in the classroom and hear a quick overview of what your kids will learn. Meet the teacher. Not bad.

In high school, totally different. I’m making my husband go this year alone because last year I had nightmares for weeks about homework, projects and public speaking.

Basically, you get your child’s school schedule, and you make the rounds to each classroom. The bell rings and you move on to second period. Bell rings, move to 3rd period. Meanwhile, in the hallways, you have 4,000 adults rushing to their next “class.” Seriously. It’s what nightmares are made of.

And let’s just say, you don’t want to be last to class, because just like in high school, the only seats left are up front. Gah!!!

So while my husband is at curriculum night tonight, I’ll be enjoying an extra donut. And pushing off thoughts of penny loafers, pimples, and math class.

As for the donuts, these are super simple to make! Using a roll of Pillsbury Grands helps cut time, but not flavor. I whipped up the pudding mixture before frying the donuts, giving it time to set and chill. I made a creamy, rich chocolate ganache for the frosting. If you want to cut an extra step you can totally use canned frosting. Heat it up in the microwave for a little bit (maybe 30 seconds to a minute), stir and spoon it on the donuts. ENJOY!

Don’t miss a single recipe: connect with Shugary Sweets!

Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Pinterest | Bloglovin’ | instagram

Boston Cream Donuts

Rating: 51

Yield: 8 large doughnuts

For the Donut:
  • 1 pkg Pillsbury Grands biscuits
  • canola oil
  • For the Filling:
  • 1 box JELL-O Instant French Vanilla Pudding (3.4oz)
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • For the Ganache:
  • 2Tbsp heavy cream
  • 2 Tbsp milk
  • 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 Tbsp corn syrup
  • 2 oz dark chocolate
  • 2 oz milk chocolate
  • 2 1/4 cup powdered sugar

1. Prepare the filling first by whisking together the pudding mix with milk. Beat with whisk for about 2 minutes. Set aside.
  2. In a separate mixing bowl, beat on high with an electric mixer the heavy cream with powdered sugar until soft peaks form (about 3 minutes). Fold in pudding mixture. Refrigerate until ready to use.
  3. In a large, heavy bottomed skillet, heat oil about 1/2-3/4 inch high. Depending on your size skillet will determine how much oil is necessary. Bring oil to a sizzle when you drop a couple drops of water into it.
  4. Separate biscuits. Fry each biscuit for 2-3 minutes each side. Allow to cool and dry on paper towels.
  5. For the ganache, add cream, milk, butter, vanilla and corn syrup to a medium saucepan. Heat on medium until butter is melted. Turn to low and add in the chocolates. Whisk continuously until smooth. Remove from heat and whisk in the powdered sugar until ganache is smooth. Set aside.
  6. To assemble, spoon filling into a large pastry bag with tip (any tip will do). Press tip into side of donut and squeeze until donut appears "full." Repeat for remaining donuts.
  7. Spoon warm ganache over each filled donut. ENJOY!

Notes

I save the used oil to use again by allowing it to cool slightly, then storing it in a mason jar. I strain off any fried bits while pouring it in the jar. Saves money!! This recipe will have extra filling leftover. I enjoy making a trifle using this extra filling (bake up a brownie mix and layer it with filling in a trifle bowl). Or spoon into bowls as dessert. ENJOY.

More Delicious Donut recipes for you to enjoy!

Cookies and Cream Donuts

Cookies and Cream Donuts

Apple Pie Donuts
(makes a great individual sized dessert too for company)

apple pie doughnuts

Chocolate Baked Donuts:

Chocolate Donut

71 Responses to “Boston Cream Donuts”

1. posted Aug 28, 2013 at 8:08 pm

Aimee you have really out done yourself this time! These are my all time favorite donut and will always buy over any other donut! To think I could do this at homes led me want to run to the store right NOW!!

2. posted Aug 28, 2013 at 8:29 pm

I’m supposed to be gettin’ ready to go to sleep and now all I can think about is these donuts….O_O <3

• posted Aug 29, 2013 at 6:56 am

Did you dream of donuts last night? Are you baking this morning 😉

3. posted Aug 28, 2013 at 8:51 pm

Oh my, I love how simple these are. These would be so time consuming without the biscuits and pudding! Delightful.

4. posted Aug 28, 2013 at 8:58 pm

I love Boston cream donuts – they are my favorite donut flavor. And I am so grateful that this recipe uses some shortcuts so I can be happily eating a few donuts within 30 minutes. Thanks, Aimee!

5. posted Aug 28, 2013 at 9:06 pm

Oh my these look heavenly, I want bite right now! I’m going to have to make these babies for sure.

6. Des
    posted Aug 28, 2013 at 9:37 pm

You seriously rocked my world when we did the gordough’s copycat recipe and you used Pillsbury Grands for that recipe and now you’ve done it again with this because I was wondering if you could make stuffed doughnuts using the biscuits too. These look amazing!

• posted Aug 29, 2013 at 6:58 am

Yep, you can totally stuff them. You just have to be careful not to overfill or the layers start to separate! If you want smaller donuts you could use regular sized biscuits, and those stuff easily too because they aren’t “layered” like a Grands biscuit!

7. posted Aug 28, 2013 at 9:53 pm

Donut day tomorrow – torn between your apple pie ones and these! Wait, I could just make both . . . the more the merrier! Your picture with the coffee sent my mind dreaming of this in the morning:) Right now sounds even better!

8. posted Aug 28, 2013 at 10:59 pm

Jello for pastry cream and Grands for dough. LOVE IT when you can save time and skip about 23 steps :) Great thinking on the time-savers! These look wonderful!

• posted Aug 29, 2013 at 6:58 am

Sometimes shortcuts have to be made for a breakfast food. :)

9. posted Aug 29, 2013 at 3:02 am

I was just in Boston and enjoyed some Boston Cream Pie! I’ve always loved it, so these donuts definitely grabbed my attention! They look delicious, and if I can make them in under 30 minutes, I’m sold!

• posted Aug 29, 2013 at 6:59 am

I love Boston cream Pie! Which is why these donuts are my favorite!

10. posted Aug 29, 2013 at 7:28 am

No fair, how did you know that Boston cream donuts are my absolute weakness??? I’m going to be thinking about these all day :)

11. posted Aug 29, 2013 at 8:06 am

Is that what we have to look forward to in HS? Ugh, 3rd grade open house is so much easier! These donut’s knock it out of the park Aimee. You pretty much had me at donut!

12. posted Aug 29, 2013 at 9:35 am

I love that you sent your husband to curriculum night on his own! 😛 my kiddos are still really young, (6 and 2 1/2) so totally not looking forward to high school. . at least you have these fabulous doughnuts!!! and love the cheater recipe!!! Brilliant!!!

13. posted Aug 29, 2013 at 9:39 am

I never ever go for cream filled donuts and suddenly I’m wondering WHY?! I need these in my life!

• posted Aug 29, 2013 at 12:42 pm

What?? You don’t go for the cream filled? Well, that’s actually good. Next time we are together we go for donuts. I get the cream filled, you get the dry, boring sprinkles! ha!

14. posted Aug 29, 2013 at 10:09 am

Boston Cream Donuts are one of my favorite donuts, and you made them look so easy so now I’m worried because I will just make these all the time! Looking so delicious… I want one (really 6).

15. posted Aug 29, 2013 at 10:32 am

Wow, these look amazing!! I just became more than a little bit hooked on custard-filled donuts from the grocery store… The idea of making my own is positively dangerous!! Yum!!

16. posted Aug 29, 2013 at 10:32 am

Cream filled donuts are my absolute favorite kind!!! I love all the short cuts in these…totally my kind of baking! And I love that you sent your hubby to school to fend for himself in the crowds.

17. posted Aug 29, 2013 at 12:20 pm

This is such a creative — and efficient — use for Pillsbury biscuits. I’ve never tried making donuts because I’ve always been slightly intimated by them. But you’ve convinced me that I might have to give it a try.

18. posted Aug 29, 2013 at 1:17 pm

I NEEED THESE In MY LIFE!!! Oh and right now I am on a donut kick! I can’t get enough of strawberry jam filled donuts here in England and I know I will get home and make these!! Gorgeous!!!

19. posted Aug 29, 2013 at 6:04 pm

LOL, I remember being the teacher at back to school night! We have Jordan’s tonight, and it’s not too much better, seating wise. I’ll sit in a kid chair and Mel will have to stand.

These donuts are the BEST!

20. posted Aug 29, 2013 at 7:48 pm

Yum! One of my favorite donuts! I can’t believe these are made with Pillsbury Grands … Awesome!

21. posted Aug 29, 2013 at 7:49 pm

These are my favorite doughnuts of all time! I need 5 of them now please. :) Gorgeous award!

22. posted Aug 29, 2013 at 8:47 pm

These donuts look amazing! Boston Cream is like one of the best flavors on this earth. haha! :) I love your chocolate ganache! It looks great.
    Pinning these!

23. posted Aug 29, 2013 at 10:25 pm

Boston Cream Donuts are my favorite donuts of all time!! It’s a total guilty pleasure. Whenever I buy a dozen from Dunkin, I’ll split one in half in hopes I won’t eat the other half. I have no self control, so of course I eat it! I love how you used Grands in this recipe. Makes it SO easy to make these on a Sunday morning.

24. posted Aug 29, 2013 at 11:26 pm

These look just like the real thing! So perf!

25. posted Aug 29, 2013 at 11:40 pm

These look heavenly!! I’d most definitely stay home with one of these while the husband takes care of the high school stuff 😉

26. posted Aug 30, 2013 at 3:53 pm

All time favorite donut, right here! Yours look incredible, Aimee!

27. Liz
    posted Aug 30, 2013 at 5:50 pm

These look heavenly….one of my all-time favorite donuts! :)

28. posted Aug 30, 2013 at 9:39 pm

Wow!!! What donuts!!! Definitely, a sugary treat to die for… I am drooling!!!!!

29. posted Aug 30, 2013 at 10:49 pm

Oh goodness, they sure are tempting me!! I can’t wait to taste this :)

30. posted Aug 31, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Boston Creams have always been like my all time favs. They were also the first donuts I ever tried. Can’t wait to try them!

31. posted Sep 2, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Oh man these donuts look terrific! I do NOT envy you for that back to school night; though. My parents pretty much just skipped it entirely and I turned out “relatively” normal. 😉 I’d rather stay home and eat these donuts instead!

32. posted Sep 4, 2013 at 4:57 pm

These sound pretty much amazing!!!

33. Barb
    posted Sep 9, 2013 at 12:45 pm

These were truly amazing! Had them this morning. Didn’t read each post, but do these freeze well?

34. Lisa
    posted Sep 18, 2013 at 1:21 pm

Just made these but used banana pudding instead turned out absolutely delightful!! Definitely will be making them again.

35. Ant Trishy
    posted Sep 20, 2013 at 11:22 am

I just discovered your website about 10 minutes ago and I love you already after seeing this recipe. You had me at your Layered Chicken Taco Salad. :))))

36. Dalline
    posted Nov 8, 2013 at 7:49 am

There are so many types of grands biscuits, buttermilk,flaky etc. I was wondering which donut you use?

37. posted Nov 8, 2013 at 7:51 am

There are so many grand biscuits , flaky, buttermilk, I was wondering which biscuit you use?

• posted Nov 8, 2013 at 7:58 am

I use the flaky Grands biscuits. But really, any would work!

38. Heidi
    posted Dec 10, 2013 at 9:02 pm

I found this recipe on pinterest and am drooling! I want to make it this weekend when we have company and am curious – what chocolate do you use in your ‘special’ frosting? All I could find at the store was un-sweet and semi-sweet. Thanks!

• posted Dec 11, 2013 at 7:33 am

I use dark chocolate and milk chocolate together. I usually buy the Green & Black’s brand for making ganache. It’s sold in chocolate bar form (mine is in the organic section). You can also use Ghirardelli.

39. posted Feb 7, 2014 at 9:15 am

I love how simple these are…..

40. Pingback: 10 amazing donuts - Savvy Sassy Moms

41. posted Jul 10, 2014 at 5:36 pm

OMG! This is only my favorite donut and I have a major weakness for donuts. Unfortunately! These look incredible! :)

42. Cheryl
    posted Jul 13, 2014 at 9:17 am

Can you freeze the Boston Cream Donuts?

43. posted Jul 13, 2014 at 10:24 pm

I think you’re my new best friend :-)

44. Elyse
    posted Aug 8, 2014 at 1:13 am

These look amazing!! I’m in Australia though and have never heard of these biscuits. Devastating.

45. Pingback: National Cream Filled Donut Day - A Holiday Chef

46. Pingback: SEPTEMBER HOLIDAYS | VIP Hospitality's Space

47. posted Oct 8, 2014 at 11:11 am

These look amazing as a special treat! I can’t wait to try making them with my daughter sometime!

48. Pingback: Step-by-Step Boston Creme Donuts « simplydelicious

49. Pingback: Banana Bread Donuts with Brown Butter Glaze

50. stormwatch
    posted Dec 27, 2014 at 5:46 pm

I have been making these donuts every New Years Eve and they are always a big hit, soooooo easy

• posted Dec 28, 2014 at 9:42 am

Now, I have a taste for these again!!! Happy New Year!

51. Pingback: Black & White Glazed Donuts - Will Cook For Smiles

52. Pingback: Easy Boston Cream Donuts - Amazingly Delicious Recipes

53. posted Mar 24, 2015 at 7:26 am

These look absolutely divine!

54. Pingback: Recipe: Boston Cream Donuts | susy bits