Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownies

by aimee @ shugarysweets on December 2, 2013

Rich, fudgy Brownies filled with peanut butter morsels and topped with a fluffy peanut butter frosting. Loads of chopped Reese’s peanut butter cups make this the ultimate, classic holiday dessert!

Fudgy Chocolate Brownies with Reese's PB morsels, fluffy Peanut Butter Frosting and chopped Reese's PB Cups!

Today I’ve joined up with some of my friends to share some Reese’s and Hershey’s holiday treats. At the end of today’s post, check out some of these delicious recipes for your holiday baking!

Christmas baking with Hershey Kisses and Reese's PB Cups!

But first, let’s talk chocolate and peanut butter. It’s a classic pairing. I don’t know about you, but when there is a cookie tray for the holiday set out on a table, it seems the chocolate peanut butter desserts ALWAYS go first.

ALWAYS.

Or is it my imagination? Am I the only one wishing people would snatch those fruitcake slices and leave more brownies for me?

Some other classics?

National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation.  Miracle on 34th Street (the original of course). White Christmas. A Christmas Story.

And of course, Yogi Bear’s First Christmas.

Yes, it’s by far my favorite Christmas cartoon! Have you seen it? I wish it would be shown every day during the holidays!

What are some of YOUR favorite holiday movies?

Love Actually, ELF, and Home Alone are always some of the most viewed in our house this time of year!

But, let’s talk about those cookie trays? If you’re looking for a delicious dessert that will be the talk of the cookie exchange, trust me when I tell you to make these brownies!

The chocolate, fudgy brownies on their own are delicious. I added some Reese’s peanut butter morsels for that extra crunch in the brownies (tell me YOU love chocolate chips or PB morsels in your brownies too???).

I then topped these brownies with a light fluffy peanut butter frosting. If that wasn’t enough for you, the extra Reese’s peanut butter cups on top are sure satisfy that holiday sweet tooth!

Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Pinterest | instagram | Bloglovin’

Save your favorite recipes to your personal recipe box with the     button on all my recipes! Create a Meal Plan with your “favorited” recipes and the ingredients will automatically be added to your own Grocery List!

Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownies

Yield: 16 brownies

Rich fudgy chocolate brownies topped with creamy peanut butter frosting and chopped Reese's peanut butter cups. The ultimate dessert!

For the Brownies:
  • 6 (1-ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate
  • 1 cup unsalted butter
  • 2 cup granulated sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 10oz peanut butter morsels
  • For the Frosting:
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
  • 2 cup powdered sugar
  • 2 Tbsp skim milk
  • 24 Reese's peanut butter cups miniatures, chopped

1. For the brownies, preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line an 8inch square baking dish with parchment paper. Set aside.
  2. In a large microwave safe bowl, combine unsweetened chocolate with butter. Melt on high heat for 30 second intervals, stirring after each addition (about 90 seconds total).
  3. Add sugar and stir until combined. Add eggs, one at a time until fully incorporated. Mix in flour completely. Fold in the peanut butter morsels.
  4. Pour into prepared baking dish and bake for about 45 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely before frosting. Brownies will be soft and fudgy! Refrigerate brownies before frosting to help them firm up!
  5. For the frosting, beat butter, peanut butter, powdered sugar and milk for 5 minutes using an electic mixer with whisk attachment on medium high. Spread over cooled brownies. Top with chopped Reese's peanut butter cups. Cut into bars and enjoy! Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.

Be sure to check out some of the other recipes being shared today!

Looking for more Reese’s desserts?

Fluffernutter Krispie Treats

Fluffernutter Rice Krispie Treats: peanut butter and marshmallow for another classic treat!

Peanut Butter Cookie Bars

Peanut Butter Cookie Bars: topped with a peanut butter ganache and Reese’s cups and pieces!!

Averie @ Averie Cooks December 2, 2013 at 3:45 am

Aimee they look incredible! PB, choc, PB cups, this is music to my ears. I love all things PB :) pinned
Averie @ Averie Cooks recently posted..Nutella-Layered-and-Swirled Peanut Butter Bread {Peanut Butter Loaf Cake}My Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets December 3, 2013 at 7:49 am

Thanks Averie for pinning!! I’m pretty sure with the amount of peanut butter YOU would love it :)

Tanya Schroeder December 2, 2013 at 6:35 am

Well I’ve got to pin these! Can’t imagine anything that tastes better! And Elf is my favorite movie!
Tanya Schroeder recently posted..White Chocolate Peppermint Sugar Cookie Pizza { And a Giveaway}My Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets December 3, 2013 at 7:49 am

ELF. Love it :) Smiling’s my favorite :) :)

Mary Frances @ The Sweet {Tooth} Life December 2, 2013 at 9:40 am

I have no words for these. Wow!
These would definitely be the first to go! They’re so pretty with all the layers and different textures and then, they’re chocolate and peanut butter! Drooling. You nailed this one!
Mary Frances @ The Sweet {Tooth} Life recently posted..Eggnog Cookie Dough Rice Krispie TreatsMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets December 3, 2013 at 7:42 am

Aww thanks Mary Frances!! You always make me smile with your comments :)

Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet December 2, 2013 at 10:45 am

These are so amazing I want to eat the screen!! Chocolate and peanut butter are a great combination!!
Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet recently posted..Pecan Cinnamon Graham Cracker CrustMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets December 3, 2013 at 7:41 am

I highly advise you not to eat the screen but make brownies instead ;)

Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl December 2, 2013 at 12:38 pm

You’re right…the chocolate/peanut butter items are always the first to go – and with good reason! These brownies look like perfection, Aimee!
Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl recently posted..“Kiss”-mas Tree CenterpiecesMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets December 3, 2013 at 7:41 am

Thanks Ashley!

Tanya December 2, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Yum!
Tanya recently posted..Homemade All Purpose Cleaner (Part 4)My Profile

Ashley | CenterCutCook December 2, 2013 at 2:52 pm

Love the peanut butter overload! And after reading this, I realize I have a list of Christmas movies I need to watch!
Ashley | CenterCutCook recently posted..Easy Peanut Butter Cup FudgeMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets December 3, 2013 at 7:39 am

haha! happy movie watching!!

Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction December 2, 2013 at 3:43 pm

Love how rich and fudgy these brownies look! Can’t go wrong stuffing brownies with pb cups and topping them with more pb!
Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction recently posted..Running Rambles and Raves: Living History Farms RaceMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets December 3, 2013 at 7:38 am

I know. It’s a delicious sickness I have :)

Jocelyn @BruCrew Life December 2, 2013 at 4:10 pm

All I want to do right now is face plant into a pan of these brownies…forget the diet! I need these for sure!!! Holy yum!
Jocelyn @BruCrew Life recently posted..Chocolate Candy Cane Kiss CookiesMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets December 3, 2013 at 7:38 am

I would love to see you face plant into the brownies, hehe!!!!

Jodee Weiland December 2, 2013 at 8:03 pm

For me, this recipe has all the right ingredients, since I love peanut butter cups and chocolate. This brownie recipe is what I would call perfect because it has all the right flavors and just enough of each. Thanks.
Jodee Weiland recently posted..Turkey Vegetable Soup with Wild Rice…A Great Way to Use Leftover Turkey!My Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets December 3, 2013 at 7:37 am

You are quite welcome!! :)

Abbie December 2, 2013 at 9:27 pm

These brownies look totally decadent. Love them!
And this is a fabulous round up you assembled. :)
Abbie recently posted..cinnamon sugar gingerbread doughnut holes (gluten-free)My Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets December 3, 2013 at 7:36 am

I can’t take credit for assembling it, but I definitely am in good company! Thanks for stopping by Abbie!

Laura @ Lauras Baking Talent December 2, 2013 at 10:31 pm

These look amazing, and I know they taste amazing. Anything with that many peanut butter cups can not taste bad :)
Laura @ Lauras Baking Talent recently posted..Chocolate Mint Swirl Pudding CookiesMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets December 3, 2013 at 7:34 am

Can’t go wrong with Reese’s! Thanks Laura!

Renee @ Awesome on $20 December 3, 2013 at 12:16 pm

You’re just killin’ me with those brownies. Amazing! One Christmas show I never skip is Emmet Otter’s Jug Band Christmas. It cracks me up!

aimee @ shugarysweets December 3, 2013 at 3:35 pm

Ooh, I’ll have to check into that one, never saw it!!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Chocolate Peanut Butter BrowniesMy Profile

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) December 3, 2013 at 12:29 pm

I’m a crazy Reese’s lover and THESE BROWNIES omg they’re heaven
Kayle (The Cooking Actress) recently posted..Hot Chocolate in a Microwave-for OneMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets December 3, 2013 at 3:36 pm

Heaven on Earth, indeed.

Rachel @the dessert chronicles December 3, 2013 at 4:32 pm

Wow, these look incredible! Anything with peanut butter and chocolate gets my attention!
Rachel @the dessert chronicles recently posted..Hannukah CupcakesMy Profile

Kathy December 3, 2013 at 9:50 pm

Wow! I’m sure my family would love these! They look incredible!
Kathy recently posted..Black Bean & Pumpkin SoupMy Profile

Maria G. December 4, 2013 at 6:45 am

I like everything that contains peanut butter that is why I am sure that these cookies are really tasty. Peanut butter is such a universal product that can add specific flavor almost to any dish.
Maria G. recently posted..How to make Burgundy snail’s semi-finished delicacyMy Profile

Karly December 4, 2013 at 1:12 pm

This is my favorite way to make brownies….loaded up with peanut butter cups! Gorgeous!
Karly recently posted..What’s Cookin’ Wednesday #47My Profile

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes December 4, 2013 at 1:40 pm

I can almost taste these through the computer!! Love it!
Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes recently posted..Dark Chocolate Chip Skillet CookieMy Profile

Gloria // Simply Gloria December 4, 2013 at 3:06 pm

I can’t even finish typing right now…I’m so in love with these brownies!
Gloria // Simply Gloria recently posted..Top Ten Secret Cookie Baking TipsMy Profile

Trish - Mom On Timeout December 4, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Possibly the most awesome idea ever to have a party with Kisses and Reese’s – brilliant! Love these brownies Aimee!
Trish – Mom On Timeout recently posted..Turtle Pecan Pie BarsMy Profile

Julie @ Table for Two December 5, 2013 at 12:34 pm

peanut butter and chocolate is the best combination in desserts, in my opinion! these brownies look SO good and I love how thick and mile-high they are!

Rahwa December 8, 2013 at 2:13 pm

I’m going to make these for my cousin’s birthday next week, she loves brownies but I think she’ll like these even more!

Regarding the brownie recipe, does it call for 6oz of chocolate? I just want to make sure I’m not reading it wrong.

Thanks.

aimee @ shugarysweets December 10, 2013 at 7:06 am

That’s correct. But it’s the UNSWEETENED chocolate! ENJOY.

Kristen Duke December 9, 2013 at 9:27 pm

I’m a big fan of anything peanut butter + chocolate!! These look so YUMMY!
Kristen Duke recently posted..What’s on my MindMy Profile

Kathy December 25, 2013 at 11:12 am

Does anyone actually comment AFTER making these recipes? I also was excited to try them as they look AhhhMAZING! However, I was really disappointed after baking them. I put them in the 325 oven for 45 minutes and when I took them out, they were still almost liquid in the middle. I ended up baking them an extra 30+ minutes just trying to get the middle part to bake. Fortunately it didn’t burn with the parchment in the bottom but not sure what I did wrong as I followed the instructions exactly with the exception that I may have had a tiny bit more of chocolate than it called for.

aimee @ shugarysweets December 27, 2013 at 7:22 am

Hmmm, I’m sorry they didn’t turn out for you. I’ve used this brownie base in many many recipes with much success. It’s definitely a more fudgy brownie vs cakey. Adding more melted chocolate could throw off the texture, but it definitely should not have needed another 30 minutes to bake!