Spinach Artichoke Hummus

by aimee @ shugarysweets on January 8, 2014

Creamy Spinach and Artichoke Hummus. You won’t be able to stop at one bite!

Spinach Artichoke Hummus: healthy and delicious!

My name is Aimee and I have a hummus addiction. I know, it could be worse!

I make my own hummus at least once a week…in addition to buying a tub of hummus each week (yes, a total of two containers per week). Because inevitably I run out of homemade and I need a quick fix.

One of my favorite dips would have to be Spinach Artichoke dip. Hot, garlicky and delicious! (hmmm, just realized I don’t have my recipe for that on the blog yet!!)  Why not combine my two favorites into one tasty recipe?

Spinach and Artichoke, meet your new BFF garbanzo beans.

These flavors are incredible together, I hope you give this recipe a try.

A few notes about hummus:

• Always peel the skins off your chickpeas (garbanzo beans). I know some people dredge them in a bowl of water and let the skins float to the surface, but this NEVER works for me. I drain and rinse my beans, then pinch the skins off individually. They pop right out of the skin. Takes a little extra time, but you can put your kids to work or turn on a good movie. Having the skins removed will result in a creamier hummus!
  • Use fresh ingredients when possible. For this recipe, fresh spinach, fresh garlic and fresh lemons keep the recipe delicious!
  • Use as little liquid as possible in the beginning, you can always add more if needed. I usually reserve a tablespoon of the chickpea juice in a little bowl just in case. Sometimes I don’t use it, sometimes I do. Using the liquid from the chickpeas results in a creamy texture.
  • I use my food processor on high speed when processing my hummus. Adding the ingredients while it’s running keeps the beans moving, which prevents clumping. I’ve heard some people use blenders, but I haven’t had luck with it mixing well enough.
  • Let the hummus sit. I prefer a minimum of 4 hours, but overnight is best. Don’t get me wrong, you can totally dig into this hummus immediately if you wish, but the flavors meld even more when given the chance to rest.
  • Finally, looking to make a pretty impression? Drizzle an extra tablespoon of olive oil on top and add a sprig of parsley on top. Or serve a couple lemon wedges on the side!

Spinach Artichoke Hummus: healthy and delicious!

Now that you know how to make it, ENJOY! It’s a great healthy alternative to chips and dip! Are you following me on Bloglovin’ yet? It’s a great easy way to never miss a post!

Connect with Shugary Sweets!

Facebook | Twitter | Google+

Pinterest | instagram

Save your favorite recipes to your personal recipe box with the     button on all my recipes! Create a Meal Plan with your “favorited” recipes and the ingredients will automatically be added to your own Grocery List!

Spinach and Artichoke Hummus

Creamy garlic Spinach and Artichoke Hummus!

• 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 4 cloves garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
  • 5oz fresh spinach
  • 1 can (14oz) artichoke hearts, drained
  • 2 cans (15oz) garbanzo beans, rinsed and peeled
  • 2 Tbsp tahini
  • 2 Tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 1 1/2 tsp cumin

1. In a medium skillet, heat olive oil, garlic and spinach for about 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until spinach wilts. Add artichokes and saute an additional minute. Remove from heat and set aside.
  2. In a large food processor, process garbanzo beans with tahini and lemon juice until smooth. Add spinach and artichoke, salt and cumin. Process for several minutes until combined and smooth. Add additional liquid (olive oil, lemon juice or garbanzo bean water) if needed to make smoother.
  3. ENJOY!

Here are a few more delicious snack ideas!

spicy-roasted-chickpeas-2

Spicy Roasted Chickpeas: delicious crunchy snack!

artichoke-jalapeno-dip-1-685x1024

Artichoke Jalapeno dip: a copycat version of my favorite dip from Costco!

oreo peanut butter dip

Oreo Peanut Butter Dip: every party needs sweets, try this easy spread and serve with grahams!

Erin | The Law Student's Wife January 8, 2014 at 11:07 pm

Aimee, I thought we were the only 2 tub hummus household! Nice to know I’m in good company :)
Erin | The Law Student’s Wife recently posted..Slow Cooker Thai ChickenMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 9, 2014 at 5:35 pm

You are not alone my friend :)
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Green Monster SmoothieMy Profile

Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips January 9, 2014 at 5:53 am

So I have to wonder, we’re you making this recipe when you told me in OBC that you have your kids pop the chickpeas from their skins to have them occupied with you in the kitchen? I have to teach my 3 year old how to do that.
Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips recently posted..The P.A.T – Prosciutto, Arugula & Tomato Sandwich for #WeekdaySupperMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 9, 2014 at 5:36 pm

Haha! Oddly enough, I was not making this one, but I’m sure I was making some version of hummus. We make it often and I usually choose one child each week to peel the skins, haha!!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Green Monster SmoothieMy Profile

Laura @ Lauras Baking Talent January 9, 2014 at 6:16 am

Love hummus! I love putting it in my lunch with different crackers and chips.. and veggies when I’m feeling extra nutritious. Loving the idea of this new flavor… going to have to try it out :)
Laura @ Lauras Baking Talent recently posted..Slow Cooker Chicken StroganoffMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 9, 2014 at 5:37 pm

Yes try it!! Let me know what you think :)
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Green Monster SmoothieMy Profile

Megan - The Emotional Baker January 9, 2014 at 6:45 am

What great hummus tips! Can’t wait to give them a try, and try a new flavor, next time I make hummus. Thank you, Aimee!
Megan – The Emotional Baker recently posted..Cinnamon Bear White Chocolate CookiesMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 9, 2014 at 5:39 pm

You are quite welcome Megan!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Green Monster SmoothieMy Profile

Mary Frances January 9, 2014 at 8:27 am

This post is a gold mine! All those tips are so helpful! And this recipe – can it be more genius? You combined my two favorite dips. Oh myyyy gosh, this looks crazy good. Cannot wait to try. Love that it is skinny, too!
Mary Frances recently posted..Skinny Chocolate Peanut Butter MilkshakeMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 9, 2014 at 5:40 pm

Thanks girl!! I hope you try this one, it really is delicious. I hope the tips help ya too :)
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Green Monster SmoothieMy Profile

Julie @ Julie's Eats & Treats January 9, 2014 at 9:35 am

Ok I totally need to try to make my own hummus! I also love hummus and spinach and artichoke dip so this is the perfect marriage. Thanks for the tips for when I get “Brave” and try to make hummus Aimee!
Julie @ Julie’s Eats & Treats recently posted..Thursday JEMs {Julie’s Easy Meal Plans} 1/9/13My Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 9, 2014 at 5:41 pm

It’s so easy, I promise. The “hardest” part is peeling the skins. But I promise it’s easy, just turn on some good TV and get to work :)
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Green Monster SmoothieMy Profile

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) January 9, 2014 at 10:21 am

LOVE this combo of 2 delicious things! Pinning!
Kayle (The Cooking Actress) recently posted..Healthiest Recipes from 2013My Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 9, 2014 at 5:42 pm

Thanks for pinning Kayle!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Green Monster SmoothieMy Profile

Graham @ Glazed & Confused January 9, 2014 at 10:56 am

Oh gosh. This looks sinfully good!
Graham @ Glazed & Confused recently posted..Banana Cake with Honeyed Brown Butter FrostingMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 9, 2014 at 5:45 pm

Thanks so much!!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Green Monster SmoothieMy Profile

Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet January 9, 2014 at 3:09 pm

I tried a hummus like this in a local grocery store and have been craving it ever since. So glad now I can make it at home!
Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet recently posted..Hawaiian HamburgersMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 9, 2014 at 5:47 pm

Yes you can :) ENjoy!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Green Monster SmoothieMy Profile

Erin | The Emerging Foodie January 9, 2014 at 4:22 pm

Ohhhh Aimee, this looks amazing. I’m so impressed you make your hummus–I buy mine at TJ’s but am as equally obsessed with hummus. I’m definitely thinking I need to try this recipe ASAP!
Erin | The Emerging Foodie recently posted..Healthy Fresh Fruit Spring RollsMy Profile

Erin | The Emerging Foodie January 9, 2014 at 4:22 pm

PS, totally pinned! :)

aimee @ shugarysweets January 9, 2014 at 5:47 pm

Thanks for pinning Erin! Don’t be impressed, it’s totally easy :)
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Green Monster SmoothieMy Profile

Stephanie January 10, 2014 at 1:58 pm

This looks incredible! I should make this for my husband that loves hummus!
Stephanie recently posted..MUPPETS MOST WANTED!My Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 10, 2014 at 3:38 pm

Definitely give it a try!! Thanks for stopping by :)

Lisa @ Garnish with Lemon January 11, 2014 at 8:19 am

I’m a hummus addict too! And I love that my kids are fans too-such a great snack!
Lisa @ Garnish with Lemon recently posted..Salmon with Spinach and Tomato OrzoMy Profile

Lynne January 13, 2014 at 8:24 pm

Made this today and was quite pleased–the only thing I screwed up is that I drained the beans and forgot to save the liquid. I made up for it by (as Aimee suggested with a bit of lemon juice, tahini, olive oil and a little water). Delicious!!

aimee @ shugarysweets January 15, 2014 at 7:20 pm

Glad to hear it worked out Lynne :)

Jilly January 18, 2014 at 6:09 pm

We never skin our chickpeas when we make hummus. Don’t see the point if the food processor is any good at all.

aimee @ shugarysweets January 19, 2014 at 1:15 pm

Once you have taken the skins off, you’ll realize how much creamier the hummus tastes, using less oil and liquid! I still occasionally make it with the skins on, but prefer the taste without!!

Cheese with Noodles January 20, 2014 at 6:05 am

I regularly put artichokes in my hummus, but it had never occurred to me to add spinach as well! Yum! I’m planning to make this as an appetizer on St Patrick’s Day :) As for the skins on the garbanzo beans, I leave them on when I make hummus. Although I love beans, unmashed/unpureed garbanzos are not my favorites. I’ve tasted a few sans skin before when they randomly fell off while preparing them for hummus, and the texture is definitely improved when they’re gone :)Hummus is already one of my favorite foods, though, and I’m sure it’s amazing without the skins on the beans, but the time/effort plus likely reduction in fiber means I’m not too excited to do it every time. Definitely will have to try it your way once, though!

Nutmeg Nanny January 22, 2014 at 12:25 pm

This is a thing of beauty! I just love spinach artichoke dip, but adding it into a hummus is brilliant :) yum!
Nutmeg Nanny recently posted..Spicy Penne alla Vodka {11 piece Anolon Cookware Giveway}My Profile

Kristen Duke January 25, 2014 at 3:46 pm

Fabulous idea to combine the two! I’m a big fan of hummus and spinach artichoke dip so I’m sure I would love this!
Kristen Duke recently posted..DIY Valentines Heart Cut-Out PlaqueMy Profile

Karen February 24, 2014 at 10:14 am

how long does this stay for?

Lisa@ Cooking with Curls March 16, 2014 at 12:30 pm

I LOVE hummus, and have still never made my own. :( This hummus looks absolutely amazing Aimee!! I really need to pull out the food processor and give it a try! :)
Lisa@ Cooking with Curls recently posted..Best of the Weekend {44}My Profile

Robert March 29, 2014 at 4:16 pm

Thank you for sharing your hummus recipe. I just made some on a whole wheat Kanish Wrap with spinach,kale,red bellpeppers sliced and lettuce wow delish. I love hummus just want to get different ideas on making it

cybil October 7, 2014 at 10:33 am

Would the artichoke hearts be marinated or not?

aimee @ shugarysweets October 8, 2014 at 8:16 am

I usually don’t buy the marinated ones, but they would still be great in here! Go with what you have :)