Amaretto Almond White Cake

Classic White Cake (from scratch) with almond flavoring. Topped with a sweet Amaretto cream cheese frosting and toasted almonds. This would be a wonderful dessert for any party or holiday!

Be sure to follow me on Bloglovin’

Perfect White Cake recipe topped with an Amaretto Cream Cheese frosting and toasted almonds. YUM!!!

Sometimes as a food blogger, we make, tweak, and perfect our recipes, numerous times. Taste testing (aka eating) bite after bite of batch after batch of cookies, donuts, brownies, whatever.

And sometimes, by the time we have PERFECTED the recipe, we simply can’t take another bite. We just want to share our recipe with family and friends, and let them enjoy the bites of delicious food.

Today’s recipe was that journey for me. I made this cake and frosted it (after several attempts). By the time I had a frosting with the perfect flavor and consistency, I wanted to bring it to a potluck, untouched. Which is why there is no inside photo of this cake. I actually brought a full cake, with no cut outs, to a party. Go figure. This cake went fast, so be sure to grab a fork and get in line first!

Since I don’t have a photo of the inside, let me describe it to you! I used my favorite white cake recipe and added almond extract. I could add almond extract to almost anything and LOVE it. Well, except chicken. That might be weird.

I spread a thin layer of the Amaretto frosting between the two layers of cake. Simple. Elegant. Classy. (does not describe me, but it DOES describe this cake)!

Most importantly, let’s talk about this frosting. Cream cheese frosting can be heavy in flavor and texture. By combining the butter with the cream cheese and beating it together for a full 3 minutes using an electric mixer, you will start with a light and fluffy texture. Once you add in your Amaretto liquor and powdered sugar, you will beat an additional 4-5 minutes. It’s very important to beat this amount of time to get that airy consistency!

I spread the frosting on the sides and top of the cake and then added some simple swirls to the top. By pressing the toasted almonds into the sides, it gives the cake personality. You could also just sprinkle them over the top too! This recipe makes 24 cupcakes, if you’d rather go that route!

How about surprising your family and friends this Easter with a new cake recipe? If you want to go with a white cake from a box that would be fine too. Just add in the 2 Tbsp of almond extract to your finished batter, beating it until well blended. ENJOY!!!

Facebook | Twitter | Google+

Pinterest | instagram | Bloglovin’

Amaretto Almond White Cake

• For the frosting:
  • 1 cup sliced almonds
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 8 oz cream cheese, softened
  • 1/4 cup Amaretto liquor
  • 4 cup powdered sugar

1. To prepare cake, grease and flour two 9 inch cake pans and line bottoms with parchment paper (cut circles to fit). Set aside.
  2. In small bowl, mix egg whites and 1/4 cup buttermilk. Set aside.
  3. In mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until creamy, about 2-3 minutes. Beat in almond extract. Add in dry ingredients and mix until combined. Slowly add in egg white mixture. Beat in remaining buttermilk for 1-2 minutes until fluffy.
  4. Pour evenly into cake pans. Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 25-28 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean. Remove and cool in cake pans 5 minutes. Invert onto a wire rack and cool completely before frosting.
  5. Heat a small skillet over medium high heat. add sliced almonds and toast them for about 2 minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon. Remove from heat and cool completely.
  6. In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and cream cheese for 3 minutes until creamy and combined. Add Amaretto liquor and powdered sugar. Beat an additional 4-5 minutes until frosting is light and fluffy.
  7. To assemble, place one cooled cake on a cake plate. Spread a thin layer of frosting over the top. Add the second cake layer. I like the frost the sides of the cake first, then the top. Press the cooled, toasted almonds into the sides, or arrange as desired. ENJOY.

More delicious {from scratch} Cake Recipes:

Dark Chocolate Cake with creamy Vanilla Frosting

Lemon Cake with Lemon Curd, creamy frosting and crumb topping

Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Pecan Frosting

Be sure to check out my Cake and Cupcake pinterest board for more ideas:

Follow Shugary Sweets’s board Cakes and Cupcakes on Pinterest.

More beautiful cakes from my favorite blogs:

32 Responses to “Amaretto Almond White Cake”

1. posted Apr 15, 2014 at 8:28 am

Mmm, this cake sounds fantastic :-)

2. posted Apr 15, 2014 at 8:35 am

Bringing an uncut cake to a party is very unheard of for me too! My friends are not offended as they understand why and they say it tastes amazing either way. This cake looks amazing too and I love how your sat the almond slices up on the top!

• posted Apr 15, 2014 at 3:11 pm

Thanks Erin. It was quite unusual for me, and I even got accused of bringing store bought, LOL. But in the end, they understood that it was homemade and delicious!

3. posted Apr 15, 2014 at 8:35 am

Hello! I like adding cream cheese frosting to anything, it’s my favourite thing on top of a cake…I do find it that it doesn’t ”hold” itself for very long at room temperature, especially if you beat it for a long time…am i doing something wrong?

• posted Apr 15, 2014 at 3:10 pm

I refrigerate my cream cheese frosted cakes. I bring them out before serving and they seem to hold up just fine! ENJOY :)

4. posted Apr 15, 2014 at 8:53 am

This is a beautiful cake, Aimee!

5. posted Apr 15, 2014 at 10:06 am

Thanks so much for the sweet link :) I am loving this cake. Almond flavor is one of my all time favorites!!

• posted Apr 15, 2014 at 2:52 pm

Anytime! Glad to hear you are an almond flavor fan too!! We will get along just fine 😉

6. posted Apr 15, 2014 at 10:21 am

Looks amazing! I love all the flavors in this cake. I must make it soon. I can’t resist amaretto & almond!

• posted Apr 15, 2014 at 2:50 pm

Thanks Stephanie! I love the Amaretto Almond flavor in this cake too. It went fast!

7. posted Apr 15, 2014 at 12:21 pm

What a gorgeous looking cake!!! I haven’t taken or given an uncut treat in so long…I think everyone I know would look at me funny if I brought a whole cake. Or think I had gone to the store 😉

• posted Apr 15, 2014 at 2:46 pm

Gone to the store!! LOL. That was a comment made at the dinner party!!!

8. posted Apr 15, 2014 at 2:46 pm

Buttermilk cakes are the best! You make the prettiest cakes, Aimee! Uncut cakes or bars? Wow, what’s that? Haven’t done than in 5 years :)

9. posted Apr 15, 2014 at 3:55 pm

Beautiful! I don’t think our friends even know what a whole cake looks like – there’s always a piece missing :) Amaretto and almond sound just heavenly together! Pinned!

10. posted Apr 15, 2014 at 5:49 pm

I know this has been said before, but I’ll say it again – this cake is absoutely gorgeous! And what a flavor combo. I could see this being the star of any party!

11. posted Apr 15, 2014 at 6:40 pm

When I saw this picture on Instagram I knew I had to come grab the recipe! Almond flavor is by far one of my favorites to add to dessert. This cake is bursting with it! The cream cheese frosting sounds and looks amazing!

12. posted Apr 16, 2014 at 3:37 pm

Beautiful cake! A almond lovers dream slice! Wish I had one!

13. posted Apr 16, 2014 at 8:06 pm

This is the classiest cake I’ve ever seen, Aimee! The almonds make it look so absolutely beautiful, and I love all the flavors. :) Lovely for spring for sure!

14. posted Apr 16, 2014 at 10:09 pm

Wow! My mom would love this cake, she is a huge Amaretto fan! I should make it for her :)

• posted Apr 17, 2014 at 7:50 am

Thank you Lyuba! Sounds like a Mother’s Day project :)

15. Hala
    posted Apr 17, 2014 at 12:39 am

Hi, it looks great. Can I substitute tha amaretto with something else in the frosting? If I don’t want to put alcohol?

• posted Apr 17, 2014 at 7:49 am

Amaretto is an almond flavored liqour, so you could just use almond extract if you prefer!

16. Mir
    posted Apr 18, 2014 at 1:44 pm

Oh my. I am such a huge almond fan! This cake is beautiful. I can’t wait to try the frosting. Love that you used cream cheese in it!

17. posted Apr 22, 2014 at 8:20 am

This cake looks gorgeous Aimee – I love the amaretto and almond combination. I’ve had to bring an uncut cake a few times and kicked myself afterwards for not being able to get an inside shot – I can imagine how stunning this one looked inside and would surely impress all the guests :)

• posted Apr 22, 2014 at 10:41 pm

Thanks Kelly! I really should have taken a pic. Bad food blogger.

18. Pam
    posted Apr 22, 2014 at 11:57 am

This looks wonderful. Can I make cupcakes instead of a 2 layer cake? Thanks!

19. Pingback: Cherry Almond Amaretto Ice Cream Cake - Life Love and Sugar

20. posted Jun 10, 2014 at 9:20 pm

Hello Aimee! I made this cake following your recipe and it was absolutely deeeelicious! Thank you so much for sharing!

21. Pingback: Yellow Cake with Double Fudge Frosting - Shugary Sweets

22. posted Feb 9, 2015 at 12:25 pm

Hi Aimee,

I made the amaretto almond white cake recipe yesterday and the cake texture came out perfectly but I found the cake itself was WAY too sweet for me. I was wondering if you could recommend an alteration to the recipe to cut the sweetness–I couldn’t tell if it was the amount of sugar or almond extract.

Thanks so much! :)