Get out your slow cooker, this Southwest Chicken Chowder is a fix and forget it dinner recipe! Packed with potatoes, corn and chicken, you’ll love the kick of flavor from the jalapenos, salsa and taco seasoning!
Tis the season for crock pots and strep throat.
First, the strep throat. My family has gone 19 1/2 years with zero incidences of strep throat. The test has always come back negative, and the doctor usually tells us it’s just a virus causing the sore throat.
Until this week. I’ve got two down and out, and the rest of us are guzzling OJ and spraying Lysol on everything. Fingers crossed that it stays away from the healthy ones in the house.
As for the crock pot, it’s my best friend this time of year. With after school sports and activities, it allows us to all eat a delicious, hearty meal…at whatever time we are home. I love when my family can all eat together (you know, at the same time)….and we really try to do that often. But. Let’s face it. I don’t want to wait until after 7pm to eat dinner. Cooking my meals in the slow cooker is the perfect remedy.
While the kids are home with sore throats, we tend to eat soup like this Turkey Noodle Soup (but with chicken). However, when everyone is on their A-game, today’s Southwest Chicken Chowder is a big hit!
If you like your broth base a bit creamier, feel free to toss in some sour cream at the end of the cooking cycle (or some cream cheese)! I poured in about 1/2 cup heavy cream just to give it a bit of depth in flavor, but it’s not necessary. You can also add in some black beans for even more southwest flavor, but my anti-bean family prohibited it in today’s recipe. If you add them, be sure to drain and rinse them first (then invite me over to sample)!
Here’s hoping you all remain healthy this fall season! Tell me your favorite slow cooker meal, maybe you’ll see it up on Shugary Sweets soon!
I created a fun little group on facebook and I’d love for you to join in! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new with Shugary Sweets (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #shugarysweets so I can see all the wonderful SHUGARY SWEETS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Shugary Sweets! Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Get our your slow cooker, this Southwest Chicken Chowder is a fix and forget it dinner recipe! Packed with potatoes, corn and chicken, you'll love the kick of flavor from the jalapenos, salsa and taco seasoning!
- 3 cups potatoes, washed and diced (about 3-4 potatoes)
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 2 cans (15 oz) corn, drained
- 1/2 cup salsa verde
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 2 Tbsp taco seasoning (I use this recipe, but a packet from the store works too)
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 1 lb boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1-2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- avocado, diced, optional
- 1 cup southwest tortilla strips, optional
- In a large slow cooker (I LOVE THIS ONE), combine potatoes, onion, garlic, jalapeno, corn,. salsa, cumin, taco seasoning and chicken broth. Mix gently. Add chicken breasts. Cover and heat on low for 6-8 hours.
- Shred chicken with a fork and add the heavy cream and 1 cup of shredded cheese to the soup, a few minutes before serving.
- Serve in bowls with additional cheese, avocado and tortilla strips, if desired. ENJOY.
**add in a can of black beans (drained and rinsed) to the slow cooker with the corn if desired **for a creamier chowder, add 4 oz cream cheese and 1/2 cup sour cream in the last 30 minutes of cooking. Stir and enjoy.
Love Slow Cooker meals? Here are a few of my favorites:
Slow Cooker Italian Beef: so much to love about this zesty, flavorful meal!
Slow Cooker Orange Chicken: such an easy recipe!
This Slow Cooker Balsamic Beef recipe is a favorite on the blog! See why so many love it!
If you love today’s Southwest Chicken Chowder recipe, here are a few slow cooker meals from my friends you may enjoy:
- Slow Cooker Lettuce Wraps from Slow Cooker From Scratch
- Crock Pot Hard Cider BBQ Wings from Wishes and Dishes
- Slow Cooker Summer Beef Stew from Running to the Kitchen
- Slow Cooker Pizza Casserole from Dinner, Dishes, and Desserts
**This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. See my disclosure policy for more info**