These easy heart shaped Strawberry Glazed Hand Pies are the perfect dessert. And in 30 minutes, you’ll have one of these baked treats in your hands!
I just can’t quit making these easy hand pies. I mean, I guess eventually I will run out of flavors, but until I do, I will continue to share and create new versions for you!
Today, just like my Peach Hand Pies, are an easy baked treat made with refrigerated pie crust and canned pie filling.
How to make Strawberry Hand Pies
Start with pie dough. Whether you make a homemade pie crust or use refrigerated pie dough is completely your choice. When making hand pies, I tend to rely on refrigerated pie crust dough for my crust, comes out perfect every time.
I also used strawberry pie filling for the center. One thing to note, be sure to check your pie filling for large chunks. These make it difficult to pinch the seams together. Give them a coarse chop to make sure they aren’t too big!
Using a 4″ round biscuit cutter (I bought mine here), cut as many circles in the pie dough that you can make….I can usually get 6 per crust, 12 per box, and I use 2 boxes per recipe, if that helps (I do roll my Pillsbury pie crust scraps together to get the extra circles)! I used a big Wilton Heart Shaped cookie cutter to get the hearts .
Once you have all your circles (or hearts), use a 1 Tbsp cookie scoop and fill it halfway with the blueberry pie filling, and scoop the other half with strawberry pie filling. You’ll want a total of about 1-1 1/2 TBSP filling per circle.
After each circle is filled, fold in half and pinch ends closed. Fold the ends onto each other and press with fork to seal. Poke fork once into top of each hand pie. Place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
Brush the tops of each unbaked hand pie with egg whites. Bake in a 425 degree F oven for about 15 minutes, until lightly browned. Remove and cool.
You can either make a sweet vanilla glaze by whisking together the powdered sugar and milk, or brush tops of each hand pie with melted butter and drop into a bowl of granulate sugar, for a crunchy, sugary treat!
Valentine’s Day is right around the corner and these would be the perfect dessert. Ready in about 30 minutes, what’s not to love? You can even add a little drizzle of some melted chocolate (any flavor would be tasty!).
More Hand Pie Recipes
I created a fun little group on facebook and I’d love for you to join in! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new with Shugary Sweets (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #shugarysweets so I can see all the wonderful SHUGARY SWEETS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Shugary Sweets!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
These Strawberry Hand Pies are the perfect dessert. And in about 30 minutes, you’ll have one of these delicious baked treats in your hands! Great for Valentine's Day too!
- 2 boxes (14.1 oz each) refrigerated pie crust
- 1 can (21 oz) strawberry pie filling
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg white, beaten
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Remove pie crusts from package and allow to come to room temperature while you prepare filling.
- Dump pie filling in a shallow bowl and dice strawberries using a fork and knife (you want them to be small pieces). Set aside.
- Unroll pie crusts and cut 6 circles from each crust using a 4-inch biscuit cutter. You may have to re-roll the scraps to get the 6th circle. Or you can use a Wilton Heart Shaped cookie cutter!
- Using a 1 tbsp cookie scoop, drop strawberry pie filling into center of each pie crust circle. Fold in half and pinch edges completely. Fold pinched edges over and press with the tines of a fork to seal. Poke hand pie with fork once, to prevent bursting. If using heart shaped cutter, scoop filling onto center of one heart and place the second heart over the top. Pinch edges and press with tines of a fork. Poke the hand pie once with a fork, to prevent bursting.
- Beat egg white in a small bowl until frothy. Brush over the tops of each hand pie. Bake on a parchment paper lined baking sheet (1 inch apart) for about 15 minutes, until browned.
- While pies are baking, whisk together the powdered sugar and milk until smooth. Remove cooked pies from baking sheet and drop (while warm) into glaze, coating it completely. I use two forks to flip it in the glaze and remove carefully. Return to parchment paper and allow to set (about 5 minutes). ENJOY!
Serving Size:1 hand pie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 67 Total Fat: 1g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 2mg Sodium: 18mg Carbohydrates: 14g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 13g Protein: 0g
Recipe originally published February 6, 2017
**There may be affiliate links in this post! By clicking on them, or purchasing recommended items I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I love! Thank you for supporting Shugary Sweets! See my disclosure policy for more info**