Almond Kringle

by aimee @ shugarysweets on May 11, 2011

Almond Kringle: delicious, easy danish recipe made at home

This little breakfast treat reminds me of my Grandma. I remember her serving Kringle, although I didn’t know it at the time, she always bought hers from the grocery store. That was back in Illinois. Which is close to Wisconsin. Which is about the extent of my geography knowledge. But, Wisconsin is where these are famous, or so I’m told.

Last summer, before a trip to visit my parents, my dad requested I make something almond. I immediately decided I wanted to try out a Kringle recipe. After searching dozens of recipes, I meshed them all together (by adding and removing things, of course) and this is what I came up with! A perfect, flaky Kringle. One that doesn’t take hours to slave over either. Trust me when I tell you this is good. Trust me when I tell you this is low in calories. Okay, just seeing if you are paying attention or if you are mesmerized by this delicious pastry! This is NOT low calorie, so I advise you to share, with a friend, or family, or the dog, or eat it alone (over several days time)! Enjoy!

Almond Kringle

• 1 tsp almond extract
  • Frosting:
  • 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 Tbsp butter, softened
  • 1 tsp almond extract
  • 3-4 tsp milk

1. Mix crust ingredients together into a ball. Seperate into two small balls. On two cookie sheets, pat into two large horseshoes, about 2-3 inches wide (my baking sheet is 12inch). Dough will be very sticky. You will think you are doing something wrong, just trust me, it's supposed to be gooey!
  2. In small saucepan, heat 1 cup water and ½ cup butter to boiling. Remove from heat, beat in 1 cup flour. Add eggs, one at a time. Add almond. This will be paste-ish. It's ok. Spread on top of crust layer. Bake for 50-55 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Turn off oven, open door, prick sides of kringle and leave for 5-10 minutes.
  3. While cooling in oven, prepare frosting by beating butter with powdered sugar, almond and milk. Continue to beat until smooth. Frost kringles while warm and serve. Mmmmmmmm.

Meaghan Luby May 11, 2011 at 2:07 pm

i am surprised not to find any almonds or almond paste in this recipe but, cannot argue with how amazing it looks! yummm, i am from chicago/madison originally so, i am a fan of this classic. thanks for sharing, loves it :)
-meg
@ http://clutzycooking.blogspot.com

Aimee May 11, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Meaghan, I hope you try it, so worth it. And surprisingly, it doesn’t need the almond paste, although you could certainly add it! Or toasted almonds on top too…oh the possibilities!
-Aimee

Lark (SparkyLarky) May 12, 2011 at 2:45 am

Aimee, It sounds so good!

I am adding it to my “to make file”.

As always thanks for linking up!

Alisa May 12, 2011 at 1:12 pm

I followed you from the foodie blog roll and I’d love to guide Foodista readers to your site. I hope you could add this kringle widget at the end of this post so we could add you in our list of food bloggers who blogged about kringle recipes,Thanks!

Miz Helen May 13, 2011 at 10:09 pm

Yummy!
Your Almond Kringle would be a great hit here at The Cottage. We would just love it. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday!

Anonymous May 14, 2011 at 4:40 am

Hi Aimee…just wanted you to know, I have had this rescipe for at least 50 years. I found it in a Racine cookbook. Any kringle is a favorite for the family. Keep up the good cooking

Aimee May 14, 2011 at 1:54 pm

@ Miz Helen- I’m sure you will love it. Plus it makes TWO- does it get any better than that???

@ anonymous- so funny! Just when you think you’ve created your own recipe, it’s already been done :)

Miranda May 15, 2011 at 9:34 pm

I am just going to ignore the last part you said about it NOT being low-cal, so I can keep it all to myself and eat as much as I want ;) Thanks for linking up to Fat Camp Friday this week! See you next Friday!

Kim McCallie May 16, 2011 at 9:53 pm

This looks delicious! I don’t think I’ve ever tasted one before but I know I would love it. So glad you decided to visit and post on Sweet Indulgences Sunday. Kim

Jane May 21, 2011 at 11:54 pm

This looks so flaky and delicious, Aimee! My kind of dessert! :) Thanks for linking up to Melt in Your Mouth Monday!

Sarah November 18, 2013 at 9:33 am

Looks very similar to a recipe my mom has, hers is called Danish Puff and is in 2 long “logs” for lack of a better word. Delicious! I’ll definitely have to try this one!

gloria poole November 18, 2013 at 3:42 pm

is this recipe a joke, no way this can work, made too much topping for 2 small balls of dough and the topping is running off of the dough. i only used half of the topping i made. please advise what is wrong.

aimee @ shugarysweets November 18, 2013 at 4:03 pm

It will work. Trust me! The topping is very paste-ish. It will bake up nicely. If you look at the photo above, I made TWO of those rings with one recipe. you can do this!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Turkey Noodle SoupMy Profile

gloria poole November 18, 2013 at 3:46 pm

is the recipe shown correvt?? it seems something is missing, mayebe a top crust??

Season March 18, 2014 at 6:26 pm

This was SO easy to make and tasted great! I added a chocolate mint topping. http://imgur.com/IObPmrg Like another poster, I did end up with way more topping than crust. I think it might be best to spread the crust out in a large, thin layer before adding the topping. But either way, it was a hit. Thank you!