Homemade Jingles Cookies

If you’ve been following me for awhile, you might remember that a couple weeks ago I posted on Instagram and Facebook I had bought my first box of Jingles cookies. I love them.

Well, I thought I loved them. They don’t taste the same as previous years. Seems like every year they lose a little bit of that “zip” that makes them special.

So after asking if anyone had a homemade recipe…

…I decided to attempt it myself.

Adapting my shortbread cookie recipe by adding in some nutmeg and anise extract, I think I came pretty close to the “old” original Jingles cookies. The ones with the zip!

And, if you’ve never had Jingles, don’t worry about it. Just make these cookies and you will totally understand the love I have for them.

I’m sharing another shortbread cookie today too, over at In Katrina’s Kitchen. She is hosting a series called, “I’ll Bring the Cookies” that you better not miss! So many great recipes have been shared already…and some talented bakers yet to come! Today I shared my classic Shortbread Cookie, dipped in dark chocolate and peppermint! Perfect for the holidays! Be sure to head over and check it out!

***If you haven’t entered to win the Nambe 2 pc Infinity Server Set (valued at $250)…do that now too! Don’t worry, I’ll still be here….

What are YOUR favorite cookies?

Or a classic recipe that’s been in the family for years?

These Peppermint Puff Cookies have been around for a long time in our family, always making an appearance during the holidays!

Minty Meringue Cookies– such a perfect little bite of a cookie. Light and minty!

Almond Kringle– Grandma always bought these, and now I make them myself!

Homemade Jingles Cookies

Yield: 40-50 cookies

Copy cat recipe of Jingles shortbread cookies. ENJOY.

• 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/4 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp pure anise extract
  • red/green sugar crystal sprinkles

1. In mixer, beat butter and powdered sugar until combined. Add in flour, salt, nutmeg and anise extract. Mixture will be crumbly, use hands to form a ball. Lay on saran wrap and roll into a log shape. Wrap up tightly and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
  2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Cut slices of cookies 1/4 inch thick and lay on baking sheet. Sprinkle with red/green sugar. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 13-15 minutes. Cool completely and store in air tight container. ENJOY!

Linked To: Chic and Crafty

44 Responses to “Homemade Jingles Cookies”

1. posted Dec 9, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Um. These totally just made my day! I LOVE Jingles! I’ll have to see if I can find some anise extract…

Thanks for the recipe! :-)

• posted Dec 9, 2012 at 7:39 pm

I hope you find the extract!!! My grocery store carries it with all the other flavors, I hope yours does too!

2. posted Dec 9, 2012 at 5:11 pm

I love those Jingles!! I will need to give these a try for sure! ♥

3. posted Dec 9, 2012 at 5:51 pm

This is one cookie I’ve never tried! Now I don’t need to – I can just use your recipe :)

4. Liz
    posted Dec 9, 2012 at 6:01 pm

I’ve never tried a Jingle cookie….I guess I’ll have to make them to find out what they taste like! :)

5. posted Dec 9, 2012 at 7:27 pm

I looooove these! They are gorgeous! I’ve never had jingles. I’ll just make yours instead. :)

• posted Dec 9, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Oh my word….how have you never had Jingles??? I seriously eat boxes and boxes of them every Christmas :)

6. posted Dec 9, 2012 at 10:50 pm

I have actually never had a Jingle cookie either. Now I never need to wonder what they taste like because yours I’m sure are waaaaaaay better:-)

7. posted Dec 10, 2012 at 8:02 am

I’ve never tried Jingle Cookies but these look fabulous!

8. posted Dec 10, 2012 at 8:19 am

I haven’t had the Jingles cookies but I do love a good shortbread cookie. It’s sad, many of my favorite “store bought” cookies just aren’t the same as they used to be. I’ll have to give these a try.

9. posted Dec 10, 2012 at 9:35 am

I bet these are much better than the original Jingle cookies! Definitely will need to try these soon!

10. posted Dec 10, 2012 at 9:59 am

hahahaha Aimee I laughed out loud … “crickets….” haha I loved that. I’ve never had a jingle before! I don’t think? Maybe I have. Regardless, your cookies look incredible and you bet I adore those festive sprinkles. I love shortbread cookies and your two recent versions have me hankering to bake them. :)

• posted Dec 10, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Seriously, I think you all live under rocks. Haha!!! I can’t even tell you how many Jingle boxes I have bought over the years….it’s crazy. They’re like Girl Scout cookies, you stock up cause they are only available this time of year! Anyways, I think you better try making some soon :)

11. posted Dec 10, 2012 at 11:23 am

I don’t think I’ve ever had those Jingles cookies, but who cares about that store brand anyway? Your version looks WAY better! Yummy, Aimee!

12. posted Dec 10, 2012 at 1:04 pm

I used to love those Jingle Cookies too. But I don’t know if they’ve changed or my tastes have and they taste really processed and not very yummy. Can’t wait to try this recipe.

13. posted Dec 17, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Thank you for this Jingles recipe! I agree with you that the original Jingles seem to have gone by the wayside… Can’t wait to try your recipe! TFS!

• posted Dec 17, 2012 at 7:48 pm

You are welcome!!! ENJOY! Let me know what you think if you try it, if I got it pretty close to the original. Blessings!

14. John McCollum
    posted Dec 21, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Once we burn off our current supply of Christmas cookies, I’ll have to try this recipe. As a kid, I remember getting the BIG box of Jingles from (of all places) a butcher shop in Hamilton, OH. A box the size of “Party-sized potato chips” just packed full with Jingles. I always liked the ornament and bell shaped cookies the best, because they were the biggest! Not much better than a big glass of milk and a huge box of Jingles. They were so good, we never even thought of spreading peanut butter on them! Now THAT’s a good cookie!
    Thanks and God Bless!

15. Liz
    posted Sep 13, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting this recipe! Jingles used to be my absolute favorite boxed holiday cookies, but over the pas few years, they have definitely changed the recipe to include less of the delicious anise flavor. I can’t wait to test these out this holiday season (or this weekend)!

16. Kim
    posted Nov 23, 2013 at 9:39 am

I never tried Keebler’s but I used to LOVE Salerno’s Jingles! I’m going to try this one and I hope it tastes like Salerno’s because I miss them. It was a holiday tradition to buy them each Christmas.

17. Pchez
    posted Nov 23, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Loved Salerno Jingles!!!!! Can’t find them since we relocated to the south.

18. Pchez
    posted Nov 23, 2013 at 5:51 pm

Will do. I plan to make them this weekend. Thanks for the recipe. I am so excited!!!!!

19. Pchez
    posted Nov 26, 2013 at 6:49 am

Pretty close to Salerno’s!!!Love them. I used my cookie press. Will definitely make again, I’ll add a bit more anise. Thanks again!!!

20. Pingback: 50 Holiday Cookie Recipes: From Easy To Difficult | Lady and the Blog

21. posted Oct 5, 2014 at 9:42 am

I thought I was the only one who missed the original Jingle Cookie! I loved the Anise flavor & the ones now days aren’t the same. Thanks for the recipe, I can’t wait to try it. sooo excited!

• posted Oct 5, 2014 at 5:15 pm

ENjoy the recipe. My family LOVES these. And you can always adapt the amount of anise you use…more if you like them strong (I actually add a little extra to mine nowadays).

22. posted Nov 23, 2014 at 5:40 am

I have been looking for Jingles cookies everywhere for the past 2 years because these are my absolute favorite cookies. I could not find them anywhere & Christmas is not the same without Jingles cookies. I posted on Facebook asking for help to find these cookies but instead I found out that they have been discontinued. So in short, today i will learn to bake (I can but I just stink at it) and will make these cookies! Thank you so much!

• posted Nov 23, 2014 at 7:49 am

You can do this!!! They are so easy to make, and I’m pretty sure you will love them :)

23. KManolakos
    posted Dec 4, 2014 at 9:18 am

can I make and freeze ahead of time

24. Anonymous
    posted Dec 4, 2014 at 6:30 pm

Um…where is the anise? For true Jingles you need anise.

25. Pingback: Vanilla Bean Shortbread Cookies - Shugary Sweets

26. Pingback: Homemade “Jingles” Cookies! (#19 on our “25 Days of Desserts” List! | The Blonde Girl Blog

27. Anonymous
    posted Dec 22, 2014 at 6:07 pm

To be honest, as someone who grew up with Jingles.. This recipe doesnt taste like how I remember them. Jingles aren’t as buttery. But after a couple of these bad boys, I think they may be better. I’ll still be on the search for a Jingles duplicate though.

28. Margaux
    posted Dec 28, 2014 at 1:11 am

I made these as a Christmas gift for an uncle who I knew loved Jingles, and he was delighted. I’ve been looking for a good Jingles recipe for a while, and I think I’ve found the winner! Thanks so much! The only thing I wondered — how big around are these cookies when you make them? I only got about 20 cookies, so I must not have rolled them small enough :)

• posted Dec 28, 2014 at 9:41 am

I would call them two-bites :) Small like the originals, and thin. Thanks so much for letting me know you enjoyed them :)

29. Pingback: Holiday season, baking season | Cinenoms