Zucchini Banana Bars

Grab some fresh zucchini from your garden, the farmstand or your grocery store! These Zucchini Banana Bars are begging to be made. And don’t forget to top them with the creamy cinnamon glaze!

Be sure to sign up for my email…new recipes in your inbox!

Zucchini Banana Cake Bars with a creamy, sweet Cinnamon glaze! Great use for those garden fresh zucchini! It’s true, I love baked goods with zucchini. Just two days ago I shared this Chocolate Zucchini Bundt Cake. And I couldn’t wait to share these Banana bars too! So here they are, just for you! Last week as I headed home with my oldest daughter from her swim practice we stopped at a big farmer’s market in the area. There is something so “local” about being at a farmer’s market. I seriously had to stop myself from buying more fruits and veggies than I needed. And my family eats a lot, but I just go crazy seeing all the fresh local food. We also splurged and enjoyed some fresh, homemade empanadas. O. M. G. These were amazing, and now we can’t wait until next Saturday to buy more! Worth the extra drive for those $2 fried empanadas. Seriously. Zucchini Banana Cake Bars with a creamy, sweet Cinnamon glaze! Great use for those garden fresh zucchini! Not sure what that story had to do with these bars today, especially since I didn’t even buy any zucchini while I was there!?! These Zucchini Banana Bars were made with the rest of the giant zucchini my friend Kim gave me. It had to be done. I was planning on making these Cinnamon frosted zucchini bars, but when I saw the overripe bananas on my counter I knew I had to alter the recipe. In addition to the banana, I also baked these in a 13×9 instead of a jelly roll pan. Made them a little “cake” like, with their thicker texture. I shared these with some neighbors and couldn’t decide if I wanted a slice of the Chocolate Zucchini Cake or  these….so I had both. Good call, right? Zucchini Banana Cake Bars with a creamy, sweet Cinnamon glaze! Great use for those garden fresh zucchini!

Facebook | Twitter | Google+

Pinterest | instagram | Bloglovin’

Save your favorite recipes to your personal recipe box with the     button on all my recipes!

Zucchini Banana Bars

• 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg

For the glaze:

• 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 2 Tbsp milk

1. In a large mixing bowl, beat butter with sugar, egg and vanilla. Add in bananas, and mix until mashed (I use the beater blade on my electric mixer). Add flour, baking powder, soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Beat until combined (about 1-2 minutes). Fold in zucchini.
  2. Pour batter into a 13x9 baking pan that has been sprayed with non-stick baking spray.
  3. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes (until edges brown and pull from sides).
  4. Cool completely before adding glaze.
  5. For the glaze, whisk together the sugar, cinnamon and milk until smooth. Pour over cooled cake. Store loosely covered for up to 3 days at room temperature.

I love desserts made in a bar form. No repeated batches, just one delicious cookie/brownie bar to enjoy quickly!

{click photos below to see the recipes}

Sugar Brookies: chocolate brownie with sugar cookie topping!

Frosted Sugar Cookie Bars: chewy cookies with a sweet frosting!

Frosted Gooey Chocolate Cake Bars: as good as it sounds!

Oatmeal Scotchie Bars: your favorite butterscotch cookie with FROSTING!

Follow Shugary Sweets’s board Zucchini on Pinterest.

40 Responses to “Zucchini Banana Bars”

1. posted Aug 3, 2014 at 8:11 am

Those look fabulous! Great way to use up zucchini. :) Pinned!

• posted Aug 3, 2014 at 8:14 am

Thanks for pinning…off to check out YOUR zucchini recipe! Tis the zucchini season…

2. posted Aug 3, 2014 at 8:36 am

I love baking with Zucchini. They’re so moist and you feel less guilty eating lots of cake and slice!

3. posted Aug 3, 2014 at 11:03 am

I totally do that at farmer’s markets too! And then it all goes bad before I can use it. I’m so sad we don’t have zucchini plants this year. These look SO good!

• posted Aug 4, 2014 at 2:05 pm

We usually end up having a giant salad day! With all the excess veggies that weren’t eaten! Thanks for stopping by :)

4. posted Aug 3, 2014 at 11:19 am

Who knew such a boring veggie could transform into such magical treats — love these :)

• posted Aug 4, 2014 at 2:10 pm

They are indeed magical treats…and healthy too right? Fruit and veggie bars is what I should have called them! Ha!

5. posted Aug 3, 2014 at 1:23 pm

I like that you used in the cinnamon oin the glaze, give it a nice flavor.

6. posted Aug 3, 2014 at 2:36 pm

I have seen so many zucchini and banana breads, but never in bars! That sounds incredible! The warm spices combined with the summer veggie is surprisingly addictive. Pinning these!

7. posted Aug 3, 2014 at 4:36 pm

I made banana zucchini muffins a week or so ago and I am loving the looks of these bars! Dense, moist, soft, and with a glaze! My perfect kind of bar! Love baking with both banana + zucchini! Pinned :)

8. posted Aug 3, 2014 at 4:53 pm

I haven’t made the zucchini-banana combination yet, and I really need to — I know I’d love it! These bars look incredible, and i’m thinking I’d totally be eating them for breakfast. :)

• posted Aug 4, 2014 at 2:11 pm

They have fruit in them so they are perfect for breakfast :)

9. Mir
    posted Aug 3, 2014 at 6:06 pm

I would also travel for good empanadas! Especially if they’re at a farmer’s market!
    These are great! So thick and tempting!

10. posted Aug 3, 2014 at 7:50 pm

these zucchini bars look so delicious and SO moist.. definitely craving one right now!

11. posted Aug 3, 2014 at 7:52 pm

I’m lovin’ all these zucchini recipes! Pairing zucchini with the banana sounds like a fantastic combination!

12. posted Aug 3, 2014 at 9:18 pm

Love the zucchini/banana combo! I could most likely eat the whole pan.

13. posted Aug 4, 2014 at 2:08 am

These look amazing! I need to buy zucchini stat! Do you think whole wheat flour would change the recipe much?

• posted Aug 4, 2014 at 2:12 pm

It definitely would change it. Maybe try only subbing half of the flour for whole wheat?

14. posted Aug 4, 2014 at 2:42 am

I can’t believe these have zucchini in them – they look delicious!

• posted Aug 4, 2014 at 2:13 pm

Thanks Jess :) Amazing that zucchini is so versatile in delicious treats too.

15. posted Aug 4, 2014 at 2:57 am

Oh my goodness, the glaze on top is calling my name! Banana and zucchini together sound amazing, like combining two delicious sweet breads…

16. posted Aug 4, 2014 at 9:05 am

I’ve been making all things zucchini too lately! Love the addition of banana in here. Pinned!

17. posted Aug 4, 2014 at 10:13 am

I love that you added banana. These are going to be so moist and delicious plus they are fruit and veggies. What could be better.

18. posted Aug 4, 2014 at 11:02 am

Great zucchini cake recipes! Farmers’ markets are so fun!

19. posted Aug 4, 2014 at 2:17 pm

With bananas AND zucchini, they can’t possibly be bad for you :) Love these!!

20. posted Aug 4, 2014 at 3:41 pm

Yay for more zucchini! It means I can eat as many of these bars as I want and get plenty of vegetables, right? 😉

21. posted Aug 4, 2014 at 3:53 pm

I’ve made zucchini bread and a zucchini cake, but I’ve never thought to combine them with bananas. Love this!

22. posted Aug 4, 2014 at 7:55 pm

Ooh, freshly made empanadas! Where is this market again – I think I might be there next Saturday, too! That’s something I’d love to try making myself.
    As for these bars, I love your ideas as to how to use zucchini in baked things. I tried making some healthy zucchini muffins a week or two ago and they were just about the worst thing I’d ever made. I think the banana in these would work a treat!

23. posted Aug 5, 2014 at 8:55 am

A slice of both zucchini treats sounds perfect to me!! Love that cinnamon glaze on top!!! Yum!

24. posted Aug 6, 2014 at 11:57 pm

We don’t have farmers’ markets here!!!!! *sobs* The only place where I have seen one is on TV when I watch TLC and it looks so vibrant and beautiful, I am a 173904% sure I’ll end up splurging on fresh produce as well! These zucchini bars look soooo DELISH!!!! And that glaze just makes my heart sing! Pinning! 😀

• posted Aug 7, 2014 at 11:19 am

Thank you so much for pinning. And no farmer’s markets? I would cry :)

25. posted Aug 7, 2014 at 11:23 am

What an interesting flavor combination! I love it!

26. Pingback: Blueberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake - Shugary Sweets

27. Pingback: Cookies and Cream Iced Coffee Float - Shugary Sweets

28. Nina
    posted Aug 14, 2014 at 4:03 pm

Love the sound of these! Do you think it would be possible to make these without adding the sugar, since the bananas would make them sweeter already? Or would that change the texture to much?

29. posted Aug 14, 2014 at 7:23 pm

I really oughta start baking with zucchini more — all of these zucchini recipes you’ve been posting look so sinful and delicious! ESPECIALLY these banana bars — obsessing over the glaze!

30. Pingback: Mmmmm | The Stuff Life's Made of