Nutty Caramel Snack Mix is a delicious combination of cereal, almonds and pecans all covered in a homemade caramel sauce. Baked to perfection, this crunchy, sweet and salty mix is perfect for family and friends, lunches and snacks!
Love easy, on the go snacks? Try our Taco Chex Mix for a spicy, crunchy snack. Or give this delicious Rosemary Chipotle Nut mix a try next time you have company! For your sweet tooth, everyone loves candied pecans!
Why this Recipe Works
I had a craving the other day for Caramel Corn. I love the stuff, especially when it’s homemade. Unfortunately, I had no popcorn in my pantry.
As I stumbled through the darkness (aka the back of my pantry) I came across a new box of rice squares cereal. I must have envisioned myself making some puppy chow at one point, but never got around to it!
As I grabbed the rice cereal and went about making the caramel mixture to coat it, my mind floated back to childhood and Cracker Jack!
Tips and Tricks
- Use a medium sized saucepan to bring the caramel to a boil. Boil for one full minute, then remove from heat.
- Quickly whisk in the baking powder and vanilla extract. The mixture will become frothy! Pour this over your cereal and nuts in a very large bowl.
- I like to use my broiler pans to bake this snack mix. They are deeper than a cookie sheet (however, a cookie sheet does work too, just have to be more cautious when stirring). I line my pan with foil to make easy clean up. You can also use disposable foil pans if that works best for you! Just make sure you try to have a single layer of snack mix on your pans (it cooks better this way).
- You’re going to cook this over low heat (250 degree F) for an hour. Every 15 minutes, remove from the oven and stir (I use a pancake turner and just flip the snack mix, allowing the caramel from the pan to go back over the snack mix).
- Once this is done cooking, dump it onto a large piece of parchment paper on the counter to cool completely. I urge you to not take a bite immediately…that caramel can be HOT! Once this has cooled completely, it will also become crunchy. NOW you can eat it.
- I store mine in a large airtight container, or a couple gallon sized Ziploc bags. If storing in the bags, squeeze the air out of the bag and the snack mix will stay fresh for a little over a week!! ENJOY.
- Saltine Toffee: use Fisher pecans to create the most delicious sweet and salty treat ever!
- The sweet dressing and fruits are the perfect compliment to this Strawberry Pecan Salad.
- Pecan Pie Truffles: one of my all time favorite candies!
- Monster Cookie Recipe
- Caramel Sugar Cookies