White Trash Candy

by aimee @ shugarysweets on April 11, 2011

White Trash Candy…open your pantry, dump a bunch of salty and sweets together, cover in white chocolate and BOOM. Candy.

Be sure to follow me on Bloglovin’

White Trash Candy, grab a bunch of sweet and salty items out of pantry, cover in white chocolate and enjoy

This past weekend we went to Great Wolf Lodge. It was like being on vacation, even though we were only 15 minutes from home. What made it a vacation? Well, the money we spent, the number of pictures I took on my camera, and of course the people watching. I admit, I people watch.

Here’s the thing. I think I admitted this a few years ago on this blog that everyone who camps is white trash (whatever this term means?). Myself included. That’s the great thing about camping.  We are all at our most vulnerable…dirty, smelly, hair a mess, no makeup, we all hang our “white trash beacons” (aka outdoor lights) to our campers, we sit in the dirt with our campfire and then go to bed in those same dirty feet, our kids run and scream like they don’t have parents….I love it. Funny thing is though…we saw some of this in the hotel this weekend!?!?

How this inspired me to make white trash candy…well, you figure that out.

Now, to the candy. This is the most versatile candy you can make. Basically, open up your pantry and see what you have, coat it in white chocolate, put it in a bowl, and tell everyone to come eat some candy. Of course, don’t grab pasta noodles and rice, that might not taste so good.

Here is what I put in my candy….although I will tell you I never make it the same way twice!

Facebook | Twitter | Google+

Pinterest | instagram | Bloglovin’

Save your favorite recipes to your personal recipe box with the     button on all my recipes! Create a Meal Plan with your “favorited” recipes and the ingredients will automatically be added to your own Grocery List!

White Trash Candy

Yield: serves 12

• 1 cup Honey Nut Cheerios
  • ½ cup Cocoa Puffs
  • 1 cup Froot Loops
  • 1 cup M&M's and Hershey eggs (enough together to make one cup)
  • 1 cup broken pretzel sticks
  • 12 oz Vanilla Candiquik (almond bark, vanilla bark)

1. Melt vanilla candiquik according to package and mix in dry ingredients. Pour out on wax paper and let cool. Break into pieces and refrigerate or serve. You can make substitutions in the dry ingredients...if you like Rice Krispies, Chex, Golden Grahams, craisins, Cap'n Crunch (peanut butter!), M&M Peanut; feel free to take out something. My kids LOVE this!

Corinna April 11, 2011 at 1:30 pm

We love GWL! Ours is about 2 hours away, but it’s so worth the drive. This looks so fun, and perfect for so many occasions.

Aimee April 11, 2011 at 2:00 pm

We did have alot of fun, and of course the kids want to go back in the summer when the outdoor portion of the pool is open!

Michelle Maskaly April 11, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Really colorful and how fun!

Katie Mar April 11, 2011 at 7:15 pm

how fun!
this is one of my very favorite recipes, but i haven’t made it in such a long time because it’s seriously addictive!
i’ve never heard of adding fruit loops to it, but that’s a great idea!!

Mo 'Betta April 11, 2011 at 10:24 pm

The name is hilarious! I’ve made something similar at Christmas, but it was called “reindeer mix”. White Trash Candy is so much better ;)

Liz @ Two Maids a Milking April 11, 2011 at 11:27 pm

I love the name!! I thought of you when I started making the grilled cheese sandwich! I was coming home from a meeting in Chicago and we stopped in to grab some cheese! I love cheese!! Our farm is just south of Indianapolis.

Walking by Faith April 12, 2011 at 12:37 am

I love this!! I can’t wait to dig around in my pantry and find things to coat in white chocolate goodness. :) I saw you live close to Great Wolf Lodge! We’ve never been there but need to go sometime. We’re in the Hampton Roads area and not far from Williamsburg ourselves.

Thanks for linking up with So Sweet Sundays! I’m your newest follower and hope you’ll pop by again and become a follower, as well! :)

Lori@KitchenFunk April 12, 2011 at 3:53 am

This looks good, and your description is leaving me laughing. Plus at first I thought you wrote “purse” instead of “pantry”. I guess that tells you I’m up way too late. But fun recipe! Found you on Little Rays of Sunshine :)

Tina (PinayInTexas) April 12, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Can’t wait to try this!
What a wonderful blog you have! Following you now from Made from Scratch Tuesday! Would appreciate a follow back on Pinay in Texas Cooking Corner.
Thanks! Have a great week!

Sue April 12, 2011 at 2:13 pm

I love this kind of “throw together” snack! It can be changed for each holiday:)

Bev April 12, 2011 at 2:28 pm

looks quick and easy and delicious!

Aimee April 12, 2011 at 3:13 pm

@ Mo’Betta-Reindeer Mix, I like that!
@ Liz- I must drive near you when I go to Chicago, I’ll wave next time :)
@ Walking by Faith- We live near Cincinnati; there is a GWL next to King’s Island Amusement Park- Fun!!
@ Lori- please don’t use items from your purse, probably won’t taste so great :)

Thanks for dropping by everyone!
-Aimee

Melinda April 12, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Ahh – pantry surprise! A fun way to hid some things in chocolate! :)

Marli and Memory April 12, 2011 at 6:00 pm

Ohhh, this looks yummy! Thanks for sharing!
*MeMoRy

Marelie April 13, 2011 at 2:01 am

Hi Aimee,
I would love to collect your trash..lol! oh this is so good. I am excited to do this with my daughter.Thanks…Thanks…Thanks..

Lark (SparkyLarky) April 13, 2011 at 7:23 pm

Aimee, your so good to always link up such great recipes! Thank you so much for your support!

yvette April 14, 2011 at 2:15 am

White Trash Candy…what a delight and I think would be very additive both for adults and kids! Funtastic! yvette@twistedvines

Marcia@Frugalhomekeeping April 14, 2011 at 3:52 pm

When my boys were little, I would put animal crackers in the mix of this recipe and called it, “Noah’s Ark”. It was a hit at their Christian Preschool parties!

Allison @ Alli 'n Son April 15, 2011 at 2:50 am

Love this! Great way to use up the bottom of the cereal boxes. ;-)

I’d like to invite you to share this recipe on my linky, Sweet Tooth Friday. I hope to see you there. http://alli-n-son.com/2011/04/14/chocolate-birds-nests/

Miz Helen April 15, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Hi Aimee,
I can see that everyone really loves your White Trash Candy and so do I, its great! Thank you so much for sharing it with us at Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you next week!

Lisa April 15, 2011 at 5:14 pm

Mmm, this looks munchy crunchy good. I’d eat this by the handful.

The Lucky Wife @ The Saturday Evening Pot May 11, 2011 at 3:40 am

Creative and fun! Love your presentation, too. Would love for you to link this in our
Star Recipes Collection.

Laura May 22, 2011 at 10:45 pm

Sounds easy, fun and tasty! Melted white chocolate is also great for icing on cookies. Visiting from for the love of blogs fun post.

Beth July 5, 2011 at 10:27 pm

I had something simular to this over the weekend… they used Captain Crunch Ceral, peanuts, m&m’s and pretzels with the white chocolate…. thanks for sharing

Erin September 9, 2011 at 6:34 pm

That’s awesome!!! I would love this =o) I want to take my kids to Great Wolf Lodge! It sounds great!!!

Carol November 12, 2011 at 10:12 am

Oh, heavens, I love reading your blog!! Your humor is fantastic! And mixed with your personality…so fun to read! Love the “white trash” reference to camping. I so get what you mean. Love your blog!! Thanks.