Chicken Pot Pie Soup
Need a quick and easy dinner idea? Try making some Chicken Pot Pie Soup. Use Pillsbury Pie Crust to make the crust on top, saves time and tastes delicious!
I’m always looking for easy dinner recipe ideas. I bought a package of Pillsbury pie crusts and had every intention of making some individual pot pies.
But then my kids requested broccoli cheese soup. So I thought, what if I combined the two?
To make life easier, whenever I cook chicken for dinner, I always bake up a few extra plain chicken breast. I stick them in a ziploc freezer bag and put them in the freezer to save for a quick dinner fix. If you don’t have any cooked chicken on hand, you can bake a couple breasts, grill them, boil them or go even more simple by using a Rotisserie chicken.
You then cook some butter in a skillet with onion, celery and broccoli. This makes your house smell amazing. I love the smell of onions cooking, is that strange?
Add some flour to thicken, then add your broth, cream, milk, chicken and seasonings. Simmer for about 10-15 minutes until heated thoroughly. While your soup is cooking, prepare the pie crust by cutting it into strips (I used a fancy pastry cutter, but a pizza wheel works too). Bake pie crust strips in a 450 degree oven for about 6-8 minutes, until browned. This dinner takes about 30 minutes, yet tastes like you’ve been cooking all day!
Don’t miss a single recipe: connect with Shugary Sweets!
Chicken Pot Pie Soup
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 19 minutes
- 2 cup chicken, cooked and diced
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 1 cup fresh broccoli florets, chopped
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk (I used skim)
- pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 package pie crust (I used Pillsbury), thawed
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium high heat. Add onions, celery and broccoli and cook to soften about 3-5 minutes. Sprinkle with flour and cook an additional minute, stirring constantly. Slowly add broth, milk, cream, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Use a whisk to combine, then add in cooked chicken. Heat over medium heat until warm, about 10-15 minutes.
- To make crust strips, unroll thawed pie crust (for one crust). Cut into strips and lay on parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake in a 450 degree oven for 6-8 minutes, until browned. Remove from oven.
- To assemble, Pour soup into individual ramekins and top with shredded cheese and pieces of pie crust strips. ENJOY!
MAKING THIS RECIPE? Share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #ShugarySweets so I can see what you're cooking up in the kitchen!
**There may be affiliate links in this post! By clicking on them, or purchasing recommended items I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I love! Thank you for supporting Shugary Sweets! See my disclosure policy for more info**