Chicken Pot Pie Soup

Need a quick and easy dinner idea? Try making some Chicken Pot Pie Soup. Use Pillsbury Pie Crust to make the crust on top, saves time and tastes delicious!

Chicken Pot Pie Soup recipe: a delicious soup that is on your table in 30 minutes! #pillsburypiecrust

Follow my blog on BlogLovin and never miss a post!

I’m always looking for easy dinner recipe ideas. I bought a package of Pillsbury pie crusts and had every intention of making some individual pot pies.

But then my kids requested broccoli cheese soup. So I thought, what if I combined the two?

To make life easier, whenever I cook chicken for dinner, I always bake up a few extra plain chicken breast. I stick them in a ziploc freezer bag and put them in the freezer to save for a quick dinner fix. If you don’t have any cooked chicken on hand, you can bake a couple breasts, grill them, boil them or go even more simple by using a Rotisserie chicken.

You then cook some butter in a skillet with onion, celery and broccoli. This makes your house smell amazing. I love the smell of onions cooking, is that strange?

Add some flour to thicken, then add your broth, cream, milk, chicken and seasonings. Simmer for about 10-15 minutes until heated thoroughly. While your soup is cooking, prepare the pie crust by cutting it into strips (I used a fancy pastry cutter, but a pizza wheel works too). Bake pie crust strips in a 450 degree oven for about 6-8 minutes, until browned. This dinner takes about 30 minutes, yet tastes like you’ve been cooking all day!

Don’t miss a single recipe: connect with Shugary Sweets!

Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Pinterest | Bloglovin’

Chicken Pot Pie Soup

Rating: 51

Yield: 4-6

• 2 cup chicken, cooked and diced
  • 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
  • 1/2 yellow onion, diced
  • 3 celery stalks, diced
  • 1 cup fresh broccoli florets, chopped
  • 1/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup chicken broth
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1 cup milk (I used skim)
  • pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
  • 1/2 package pie crust (I used Pillsbury), thawed

1. In a large pot, melt butter over medium high heat. Add onions, celery and broccoli and cook to soften about 3-5 minutes. Sprinkle with flour and cook an additional minute, stirring constantly. Slowly add broth, milk, cream, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Use a whisk to combine, then add in cooked chicken. Heat over medium heat until warm, about 10-15 minutes.
  2. To make crust strips, unroll thawed pie crust (for one crust). Cut into strips and lay on parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake in a 450 degree oven for 6-8 minutes, until browned. Remove from oven.
  3. To assemble, Pour soup into individual ramekins and top with shredded cheese and pieces of pie crust strips. ENJOY!

97 Responses to “Chicken Pot Pie Soup”

1. posted Apr 17, 2013 at 5:57 pm

I saw this on Pinterest but didn’t realize it was yours until I looked at the pin closer haha Sounds so yummy! I’ll have to remember to save leftover cooked chicken to make this.

• posted Apr 18, 2013 at 7:50 am

Thanks Carla! Definitely keep this recipe in mind!

2. posted Apr 17, 2013 at 7:52 pm

That looks fantastic! I know my family will love this recipe.

3. posted Apr 17, 2013 at 10:25 pm

You used the crusts on the top – you’re a genius!! LOVE this Aimee!

• posted Apr 18, 2013 at 7:53 am

I figured YOU of all people would approve of my crust :)

4. posted Apr 17, 2013 at 10:34 pm

This looks super delicious right now. I bet the kids would love it, they are on a broccoli kick right now!

• posted Apr 18, 2013 at 7:53 am

Broccoli makes everything better! Mine slurped it all up, veggie and chicken chunks too!

5. posted Apr 18, 2013 at 7:55 am

Using the pie crust is a genius idea. This looks like real comfort food!

• posted Apr 18, 2013 at 8:42 am

Yep, that’s me, a genius :) I’m so pie crust challenged that Pillsbury works just fine for my needs!!

6. posted Apr 18, 2013 at 8:04 am

What an absolutely brilliant soup! LOVE it! Talk about comforting!

7. posted Apr 18, 2013 at 9:28 am

What a great way to get two of my favorite foods into one dish!

8. posted Apr 18, 2013 at 9:55 am

I should realy cook up extra chicken breasts, too. What a great time-saving tip! :)

• posted Apr 20, 2013 at 10:03 am

Yep! I do it all the time, keep extras in my freezer for recipes like this one! thanks for stopping by!

9. posted Apr 18, 2013 at 10:45 am

I’ve actually never in my life eaten a chicken pot pie. I don’t think that’s normal. This soup looks so much better than any pie has ever looked, though!

• posted Apr 20, 2013 at 10:04 am

Honestly, I have eaten MANY pot pies in my life, and it is better than most taste!

10. posted Apr 18, 2013 at 11:16 am

This sounds delicious! I just wish it wasn’t so warm out or I would make it now! I will keep this in mind for when we have chilly days!

11. posted Apr 18, 2013 at 11:35 am

It sounds like a wonderful idea and a delicious and comforting dinner. Love it Aimee!!

12. posted Apr 18, 2013 at 2:08 pm

Love the pie crust strips! I’d love a big bowl of this to eat while I watch the predicted snow fall tonight!

13. posted Apr 18, 2013 at 2:31 pm

I heart chicken pot pie so I know I would love a huge bowl on this rainy day! And using store bought pie crust is really the only way I can get crust to turn out!!! Love the tip to freeze the extra chicken. I do that with whole chickens all the time.

14. posted Apr 18, 2013 at 3:02 pm

I love the little crust sticks on top! So cute and great presentation.

15. posted Apr 18, 2013 at 4:56 pm

I seriously would LOVE a bowl of this right now.

16. posted Apr 18, 2013 at 5:56 pm

This is such a great idea! Love the bites of pie crust all over the top. I would eat this up!

17. posted Apr 18, 2013 at 7:48 pm

Love the twist you did on this dish! It looks so divine! Pinning!

• posted Apr 20, 2013 at 10:14 am

Thanks Gloria, it was quite tasty! Thanks for pinning :)

18. posted Apr 19, 2013 at 10:40 am

That little ziploc bag trick is brilliant, I love time savers like that :) Chicken pot pie is the ultimate comfort food for me, I’d love to try this soup!

19. posted Apr 19, 2013 at 11:51 am

Brilliant! I love chicken pot pie but sometimes I do not have the time or energy to make it. This soup version looks spot on Aimee! 😀

20. posted Apr 19, 2013 at 7:05 pm

Love this, Aimee! My pot pie lovin’ son would go nuts for this!

21. posted Apr 20, 2013 at 8:48 am

OMG. My husband is going to go nuts for this. He lives for pot pie, and loves soup…so, this combination only makes sense! And I’m totally down with the Pillsbury crusts. It’s I the only way I roll!

22. posted Apr 20, 2013 at 6:47 pm

My husband is going LOVE this! Chicken pot pie is a favorite of his and I never make it. Too time consuming, especially during the week. I’m not a home made pastry for dinner person. Thirty minutes, I can handle! Thanks, Aimee!

• posted Apr 23, 2013 at 10:02 pm

30 minutes is totally worth the effort on this soup. ENJOY!

23. posted Apr 23, 2013 at 6:24 pm

I love that you used fresh broccoli, I bet it gives a nice crunch to the soup. Sounds delicious!

• posted Apr 23, 2013 at 10:02 pm

Thanks Cindy. It does soften some in the cooking process, but is still quite tasty :)

24. posted Apr 24, 2013 at 11:46 am

Holla! That is genius!

25. posted Apr 24, 2013 at 2:02 pm

I always look for new soups to try, definitely trying this one :)

26. posted Apr 24, 2013 at 3:27 pm

This is such a great idea, Aimee! Love the flavors.

27. posted Apr 25, 2013 at 10:20 am

Fantastic! I want that for lunch today!

28. Rebecca C
    posted Apr 25, 2013 at 9:06 pm

I’m eating this right now, and it is GOOD.

29. posted Apr 30, 2013 at 10:00 pm

This looks so yummy! Pinning! :)

30. Rachel
    posted May 14, 2013 at 11:39 am

Hi this soup looks amazing. I was just wondering, does it reheat well the next day, say for leftovers?

31. Nicky
    posted Jun 23, 2013 at 12:28 am

1 cup of heavy cream and then you choose to use skim milk….seriously?!!

• posted Jun 23, 2013 at 12:34 pm

It’s all about balance right? No seriously, it’s cause we only have skim milk in the house, and I knew someone might ask what kind of milk to use. I made no claims on this being a healthy recipe, just delicious :)

32. posted Jul 11, 2013 at 3:25 pm

Never in a million years did I think I’d see a recipe for “Chicken Pot Pie” in the middle of July… fabulous! I like that you made it into a soup, too. Had to share!

33. michele
    posted Aug 10, 2013 at 10:29 am

I have made this recipe several times and my family loves it! Looking forward to trying many more of your recipes. :)

34. michele
    posted Aug 10, 2013 at 10:32 am

I should also add that my boys have never been fans of chicken pot pie, but no leftovers with this recipe.

35. McKinna
    posted Aug 21, 2013 at 7:55 pm

So how long after you add the flour, do you cook…? Recipe above just says ‘an additional minutes, stirring constantly’…

36. Susan
    posted Sep 12, 2013 at 8:25 pm

Thank you! I made this soup tonight, just adding carrots and a bit more broth. It may be my favorite soup ever. Delicious!

37. Brandy
    posted Sep 16, 2013 at 9:49 pm

This might be a dumb question but how do you cook the chicken? Boil, bake, grill?

38. Brandy
    posted Sep 16, 2013 at 9:59 pm

Never mind I didn’t read that part lol

39. Marsha
    posted Sep 21, 2013 at 2:33 pm

Absolutely divine!! We loved it! However I think 6 servings is stretching it. We got 4 servings and had a salad on the side. Definitely adding this to my regular repertoire of recipes!

40. jamie
    posted Sep 23, 2013 at 11:00 am

Do you think this would hold up well in a crockpot??

41. Tiffany
    posted Oct 15, 2013 at 4:12 pm

I agree w/ a previous poster-6 servings was not possible. I had to add 1 c each more milk & broth to serve my family of 5. Luckily it thickened up enough even though I didn’t add more flour/butter.

42. sally
    posted Oct 29, 2013 at 2:04 am

Would love to try this recipe but I’m lactose intolerant :/ I figured I could substitute the skim milk with soy milk, do you have any suggestions for a cream substitute though?

43. posted Nov 12, 2013 at 7:08 pm

I got this recipe from a friend and made it for dinner tonight. It’s so easy and very tasty and filling! As others mentioned I did feel that it needed more broth so I ended up using a 14oz can of chicken broth rather than 3/4 cup and 2 cups of milk rather than 1 cup. It thickened fine and the seasonings didn’t need adjusting either. I did add about 3/4 cup chopped carrots (a nice addition!) and I added more broccoli than the recipe called for so that may have thrown things off or maybe we just prefer a brothier soup. Either way, very easy to rectify :) My husband really liked the cheese and pie crust “sprinkles”. I’ll definitely be making this again! Thanks!

44. posted Dec 4, 2013 at 3:04 pm

Just made this for my family and we loved it! Thanks – it was ‘fun’ too! My adult son just emailed me asking for the recipe so he could make it for his inlaws too. 😉

45. Sondra
    posted Dec 27, 2013 at 2:51 pm

Instead of broccoli, I used frozen peas and carrots. Delicious!

• michele
      posted Apr 4, 2014 at 2:46 pm

I did that too!!! Was delicious!!!

46. posted Dec 28, 2013 at 5:40 pm

I made this tonight with left over Christmas turkey, and it was a big hit. Love the pie crust strips, thanks!

47. Vicster
    posted Dec 29, 2013 at 8:07 pm

Made this tonight and it was EXCELLENT!!!!

• posted Dec 30, 2013 at 9:22 pm

It’s one of my favorites, so glad you enjoyed it too!!

48. Mia
    posted Jan 8, 2014 at 2:59 am

Do you think it would work if I increased the broth and cream in lew of the milk?

49. Lori
    posted Jan 8, 2014 at 7:21 pm

I made this tonight and it was so yummy! I will definitely be making it again. Thanks!

• posted Jan 9, 2014 at 7:29 am

GREAT to hear! It reminds me I want to add it to our menu again!

50. Angela Burns
    posted Jan 20, 2014 at 12:37 pm

Could this recipe be adapted for the crockpot?

51. Erin
    posted Feb 4, 2014 at 8:16 pm

I also made this tonight and it was so yummy and satisfying on a cold day! I added carrots. I especially like the convenience for left-overs. Instead of storying part of a pie (that would get soggy), the soup can be refrigerated and reheated and served with pie strips that I stored separately to keep crisp! Thanks!

• posted Feb 5, 2014 at 9:38 am

It’s definitely a family pleaser :) So glad you enjoyed the soup!

52. Pingback: Foodies Network » Chicken Pot Pie Soup

53. Pingback: Chicken Pot Pie Soup

54. Pingback: Chicken Pot Pie Soup | Link4Food

55. posted Jul 31, 2014 at 7:17 pm

Could you add carrots and peas to this recipe? This a keeper recipe that I want to try. My husband asked if I could add other veggies.

56. Stefani
    posted Aug 11, 2014 at 1:04 pm

So I never comment on recipes. Like this is the first time ever. But I had to because I have made this about five times and have felt like I died and went to heaven each time. My husband, who is quite possibly the pickiest man I have ever met, practically begs for me to make it. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! It is absolutely delicious!

• posted Aug 11, 2014 at 10:27 pm

Awww, you totally made my day! I’m so glad to hear you love this recipe. It’s a huge hit in our family too :)

57. Pingback: Soupy Decisions | OrganicPedic by OMI

58. Pingback: Creamy Chicken and Vegetable Soup with Biscuits | My great WordPress blog

59. BP
    posted Sep 7, 2014 at 8:16 pm

This soup was so delicious and very easy to make. I was making it for two adults and a child and it was the perfect amount. If you are serving this to more people I highly recommend doubling/tripling the recipe. Will definitely be making this again:-)

60. Pingback: 30 Yummy Soup Recipes

61. Pingback: 25 Simple Soup Recipes - My Life and Kids

62. Kelly
    posted Sep 24, 2014 at 11:44 am

I made this last night except I put it all in the crock-pot (adding cream at the end), added carrots, and omitted the flour and butter (I added a bit of cornstarch) and it was phenomenal! I bet it’s delicious, even better, following the recipe, but I am prego and get tired at the end of the day so I use my crock-pot whenever possible!

63. Shelly
    posted Oct 5, 2014 at 8:11 pm

How well do leftovers hold up with this recipe?

• posted Oct 14, 2014 at 11:26 am

The soup thickens the next day. If you want to thin it out you can add some extra milk or water. ENJOY

64. Pingback: Beef Pot Pie Soup - Shugary Sweets

65. Pingback: BBQ Chicken Pizza Soup - Shugary Sweets

66. Randi Kelley
    posted Nov 12, 2014 at 5:47 pm

I made this for dinner and seriously by the time dinner gets here I don’t think we will have anything more to eat. It’s soooooo good. I’d like it to have a little more soup part… So I may add some more milk.. It’s been sitting ready for hours so it’s a little thick but the flavor is unbelievable!!!

• posted Nov 12, 2014 at 7:46 pm

Haha, so glad to hear you enjoyed the soup. Hopefully there was enough left to share!!

67. Pingback: Chicken Pot Pie Soup - Or Whatever You Do

68. Jo
    posted Dec 30, 2014 at 8:15 pm

Made this without heavy cream and we really liked it a lot and saved a bit of calories. Thanks for the recipe!

69. Pingback: Savoring the Winter with Soup | thecowlocale

70. Brenda
    posted Apr 18, 2015 at 3:25 am

Very nice. I added some cauliflower with the broccoli. Would cut the chicken into smaller pieces or shred then add next time. 9/10. This would make a lovely filling for pies if liquid was thick enough. I did add an extra ¼ cup of stock to our soup as it was quite thick when cooked. Would definitely make again. Thanks for a great recipe!

71. Pingback: 10 New Soups To Try This Fall |