Pumpkin Donut Muffins

Bite sized Pumpkin Donut Muffins! Roll in butter and cinnamon/sugar! These donut muffins freeze really well too!

Pumpkin Donut Muffins: bite sized pumpkin muffins topped with a cinnamon and sugar sprinkle! Freeze well too.

I wasn’t sure if these qualify as donuts or muffins. So let’s call them both. They remind me of my favorite cinnamon sugar muffins. Only, with a pumpkin twist!

Life has been pretty crazy around here. It seems like homework in our house has multiplied by 100. And of course, you may remember me saying this before, I’m not capable to help.

I think of myself as a fairly educated person, I have a college degree as a registered nurse. I learned all the math and sciences necessary. But for the life of me I can’t seem to remember how to best help with 4th grade math. Or 6th grade government. Or freshman language arts (they read books I never had to read!) or 11th grade algrebra.

Now, spelling I can do. But did you know that our school doesn’t have spelling tests like when I was a kid? They get words to study and learn, but they have to learn the meaning of them! And use them in sentences! Haha, poor kids. I only had to memorize how to spell them. It’s no wonder I’m of no use to my children.

So instead, I provide the nutrition they need. (see the irony here? I’m a dessert blogger….)

No really. These pumpkin donuts are packed with the healthy orange stuff. Yes, they are rolled in butter. Yes, I then rolled them in cinnamon and sugar. But c’mon, they taste amazing!!

These pumpkin donut muffins freeze really well too! I like to bake them, roll them and stick them in a ziploc bag. Label, freeze and save for another day! ENJOY.

Connect with Shugary Sweets!

Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Pinterest | instagram | Bloglovin’

Pumpkin Donut Muffins

Rating: 51

Yield: 24-30 mini muffins

Easy, moist pumpkin muffins dipped in a cinnamon sugar coating! Perfect for now, or freeze for later!

For the muffins:
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup pure pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/2 tsp allspice
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • For the topping:
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

1. In a mixer, blend butter and sugar until creamy. Add in egg and vanilla, beat until combined. Blend in pumpkin puree. Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, allspice and cinnamon.
  2. Fill cavities of a greased mini muffin pan about half full (I use a metal 1Tbsp scoop). Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 10 minutes. Remove and cool on wire rack.
  3. Meanwhile, mix cinnamon and sugar and a small bowl. In a separate bowl, melt butter.
  4. Dip each muffin top into the melted butter then into the cinnamon sugar mix. Repeat until all muffins are dipped. Store in an airtight container for up to one week. Or freeze for up to one month.

Notes

I use baking spray, such as Pam for Baking, to lightly coat my mini muffin pans.

Here are some of my other FAVORITE kid friendly treats:

funfetti-cookies-3

Funfetti Cookies: when math is hard, sprinkles make it a little better!

thin mint puppy chow recipe

Thin Mint puppy chow: tastes like the popular girl scout cookies; great for lunches too!

funfetti-cake-from-scratch-

Funfetti Cupcakes with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting: from scratch. Seriously worth the extra 15 minutes!

Other great kid snacks from around the web:

Caramel Pumpkin Spice Popcorn from Inside BruCrew Life

S’mores Donuts from Buns in my Oven

Mini Milky Way Monkey Bread Muffins from Lemons for Lulu

42 Responses to “Pumpkin Donut Muffins”

1. posted Oct 9, 2013 at 6:08 pm

These look SO good! Love the cinnamon sugar on the tops!!

2. posted Oct 9, 2013 at 6:48 pm

I totally hear you on the homework, girl! I have a tutor come to help my son but it is for different reasons, it’s because I’m impatient and I might strangle him. Or he might strangle me!

These muffins look divine! I could pop a good dozen of these in my face right now!

3. posted Oct 9, 2013 at 7:54 pm

I can’t do homework either. The other night I tried to help my daughter with math…let’s just say my answer was wrong. Uuggghh just pass me the bowl of muffins! I’m better at eating yummy pumpkin goodies!!!

4. posted Oct 9, 2013 at 8:24 pm

Well I could eat these everyday! Goodness Aimee, delicious! Thanks for the link love too!

5. posted Oct 9, 2013 at 8:35 pm

That is the most important thing that they taste great! :) and they really look incredibly good 😉

6. posted Oct 9, 2013 at 8:47 pm

I never knew you were an RN!!! Omg I can seen you as being the best nurse EVER! Wow, did not know this! 4 yrs of reading your blog and I didnt know!

Anyway I was looking at my 6 yr old’s math last night…and I honestly had to stop doing the dishes and actually focus in order to help her. Cubic volume of stuff and things that just make me shudder. And I went to grad school. In psychology. NOT MATH! lol

These muffins remind me of something I made for my other project. I know how good they must be. I made some almost like it :)

• posted Oct 9, 2013 at 9:21 pm

Yep. I especially loved the food in the break room. That’s where all the recipe swaps happened :) I’m retired now though…
      I can’t wait for that project to be done!! Want to see want to see!!!!

7. posted Oct 9, 2013 at 9:22 pm

These look great :) I don’t have anyone to help with homework, but I can’t imagine I would do much better.

8. posted Oct 9, 2013 at 9:33 pm

I love doughnut muffins and pumpkin makes them all the better! The kids homework drives me crazy! The math is all done in some confusing way and the kids tell me no Mom your not doing it right it has to be like this, when I try to do math the conventional way.

9. posted Oct 10, 2013 at 12:40 am

I made the pumpkin donut muffins the other day. I called them pumpkin donut holes. The entire family gobbled them up. They were wonderful in the morning with some coffee.

• posted Oct 10, 2013 at 11:01 am

I have a problem with stopping myself from eating the entire batch!

10. posted Oct 10, 2013 at 8:41 am

Yay for donut muffins! They are so cute and tiny, I might just eat the entire recipe’w worth on my own. :O (sssshhh please don’t tell!)

11. posted Oct 10, 2013 at 8:57 am

I’m feeling just about the same way with my girl’s homework and she’s only in second grade. I hate to think what it’ll be like as she gets older. You’re scaring me. :) I love, love, love these muffins. Cinnamon sugar coating is fantastic, but pumpkin muffins make me swoon. A match made in heaven.

• posted Oct 10, 2013 at 10:59 am

Sorry, didn’t mean to scare you. Want a muffin???

12. posted Oct 10, 2013 at 9:09 am

I’d call them muffins so I could get away with eating a dozen of these for breakfast!

13. posted Oct 10, 2013 at 9:10 am

These little pumpkin doughnut muffins look awesome! I’ve always wanted to try making something like this. Oh well, it’s going to have to go on my “to-bake” list!
    Pinned.

14. posted Oct 10, 2013 at 9:40 am

hehe! You provide the nutrition, hubby provides the homework help. It sounds like a fair deal :) Do you still work as a nurse? Just curious :)

• posted Oct 10, 2013 at 10:58 am

Total win for everyone!
      I actually “retired” from nursing before my third child was born! :)
      And HEY! Just saw you’re on the list for the dairy tour…can’t wait to see you!!

15. posted Oct 10, 2013 at 10:43 am

I would love a dozen of these for physics and geometry tests! I keep seeing pumpkin donut muffins and I am DYING to try some. I love how easy these are and how cute and fun sized, too!

16. posted Oct 10, 2013 at 11:39 am

Pumpkin donut muffins have been on my to do list for too long. I don’t care if they’re rolled in butter, they look like they’re worth every single bite!

17. posted Oct 10, 2013 at 3:16 pm

These remind me of a muffin I used to make, but sans pumpkin. I bet these are so good especially for an after school snack!

18. posted Oct 10, 2013 at 3:21 pm

My brain always goes on shut down when the kids start asking questions!

19. posted Oct 10, 2013 at 6:04 pm

I received the email for this recipe and made them today and all I can say is WOW!!! These are so good and I dipped the whole muffin in butter and sugar mixture. I will be making these a lot. I happen to have little muffin pans and they came out perfect.

20. posted Oct 11, 2013 at 1:26 am

I can help with your freshman’s English homework. I’ve taught that class before. I’m much more into making donut muffins right now, though.

21. Kim P
    posted Oct 11, 2013 at 10:08 am

Made these last night – so good and so easy and fast! Thanks!

22. posted Oct 12, 2013 at 6:57 am

I am horrified when my gets get to school and will need help. I think I will stick with the nutrition too. I can practice now with these donuts.

23. posted Oct 14, 2013 at 7:20 pm

Well Aimee, you know that they say that nutrition is the most important ingredient to success at school :) These “donut muffins” surely qualify! I am dreading high school homework. I was an Electrical Engineer and took LOTS of math but I’m sure I will be absolutely worthless by the time the boys hit high school! I don’t even want to think about it!

24. posted Oct 15, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Made these last night. Wow. Easy and delicious. My sweetie seriously ate like five of them within an hour. Donut? Muffin? Who even care. SO. GOOD.

25. posted Oct 16, 2013 at 6:35 pm

WOW! I’ll say it’s a muffin so I can guiltlessly have a bunch for breakfast 😉

26. posted Oct 17, 2013 at 3:23 pm

They are SO cute and I bet they are to die for!

27. posted Oct 19, 2013 at 1:01 am

Pumpkin donut muffin? The muffin in the title totally makes these healthier right? p.s. 5th grade math is already making me feel uneducated, I can’t imagine what it’ll be like once he’s in middle or high school!

28. posted Oct 20, 2013 at 7:40 pm

These look yummy! I think you are doing your part by supplying your kiddos with these muffin/doughnuts – brain food! :)

29. posted Jan 28, 2014 at 11:38 am

Hi,

I thought you are also interested that this site (http://motivanova.com/?p=6204) stole and republished our pictures. They run ads and get paid for using our work. I just contacted the webhost GoDaddy to take my material down. It appears that this site only uses plagiarized material. I find this very sad, especially since we as honest bloggers put a lot of time into our work.

Wishing you a great day.
    Kirsten

30. Beth
    posted Mar 5, 2014 at 9:33 am

I have made these 3 or 4 times and always get requests for the recipe. Soooooo good.

• posted Mar 5, 2014 at 5:29 pm

So glad to hear it Beth, thanks for letting me know!!

31. posted Aug 19, 2014 at 1:58 pm

I pretty much love pumpkin anything and this definitely would not be an exception! haha A great breakfast idea my whole family would enjoy!

32. Pingback: Let's Chill, #3 - Life Love and Sugar

33. Brooke
    posted Dec 8, 2014 at 1:21 am

I just made a batch of these omg they are AMAZING!!! so easy to make cooked so beautifully just perfect my 12 yr old loved them too taste just like donuts yum!! I quickly put some in the freezer before we ate them all! :)

• posted Dec 8, 2014 at 7:24 pm

So glad they were a hit! Thanks for stopping by to let me know :)