Fluffernutter Caramel Corn – A peanut butter popcorn that’s coated with chocolate and marshmallow for a sweet, salty, decadent snack that no one can resist!
Why this Popcorn is Best
I love popcorn. Salty, buttery popcorn, sweet kettle corn, cheesy popcorn, you name it. The thing is, I really love caramel corn.
A Fluffernutter is a sandwich made with marshmallow fluff and peanut butter. Sometimes it has other ingredients like banana, chocolate or even bacon, too. It was a beloved childhood snack that I never quite grew out of loving.
I took my love of fluffernutters, with my love of caramel corn, and combined it with my gooey love of rice krispie treats. It turned out to be a homerun.
Step by Step Instructions
Melt butter in a pan over medium high heat. Stir in sugar, corn syrup and salt. Bring the whole mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in baking soda and vanilla.
Add to popcorn
Immediately pour the caramel over all the popcorn and mix well to coat evenly. Bake at 250 degrees for one hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
Remove from oven and cool. Break apart pieces and place in large bowl.
Add chocolate and candy
Melt the chocolate coating completely in the microwave or a double boiler. Mix in peanut butter until combined and pour over cooled caramel corn. Allow to cool about ten minutes.
Then, add in marshmallows and chopped Reese’s candies. Pour onto wax paper to harden then transfer to ziploc bags, tupperware containers or another airtight container to store.
Tips and Tricks
- I use broiler pans for making caramel corn. Disposable lasagna pans also work well and can double as a way to transport batches of the finished treat.
- Let the popcorn fully harden BEFORE putting in containers to store. If the chocolate is still a little soft, the pieces of caramel corn will stick together. Still tasty, but a little more of a pain to eat!
- Peanut Butter Popcorn makes a perfect teacher gift or party favor. Put into mason jars and tie with a ribbon!
Whether you make this Fluffernutter inspired caramel corn for movie night, to share with friends or just for yourself, you’re going to go wild for it!
More Holiday Fun
- Sweet Potato Casserole with Marshmallows
- Homemade Marshmallows
- Hashbrown Casserole
- 7 Layer Cookies
- Apple Crumble
- Pumpkin Pie Rice Krispie Treats
Fluffernutter Caramel Corn
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups light brown sugar packed
- ½ cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ½ bags popped microwave popcorn REMOVE SEEDS (about 16 cups popped)
- 16 ounce package chocolate coating melted
- ½ cup peanut butter
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- 2 cups Mini Reese’s Peanut Butter cups chopped
- Pan melt butter, stir in sugar, corn syrup and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat. Stir in baking soda and vanilla. Gradually pour over popped corn. Mix well. I use my broiler pans, but the disposable lasagna foil pans would work well too. Bake at 250 degrees for one hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Remove from oven and cool. Break apart and place in large bowl.
- Melt the chocolate coating completely (according to package directions). Mix in peanut butter until combined and pour over cooled caramel corn. Allow to cool about ten minutes. Add in marshmallows and chopped candy. Pour onto wax paper to harden. Store in airtight Ziploc or tupperware containers.
- Use a pan with enough space to spread the popcorn evenly. I make this with two large broiler pans. Friends of mine use those big disposable lasagna trays. Both work beautifully!
- Be sure to remove any unpopped kernels and seeds from the popped corn before making this recipe. The last thing you want is to break a tooth on a hard kernel when you’re trying to enjoy some sweet caramel corn.
- When giving this popcorn treat as a gift, store it in mason jars wrapped with ribbon or in colored plastic wrap with treats like candy canes or other wrapped candy to fill it out. Decorative tins are also wonderful for storing and gifting caramel corn!
Peanut Butter Popcorn mixed with fluffy marshmallows and chocolate is a little bit of heaven on earth.