It’s Cherry Cobbler made in the Instant Pot! Transform a can of cherry pie filling into an impressive dessert with this easy recipe. Don’t forget a scoop of ice cream on top!
Cobbler is the perfect summertime dessert, in my book.
Whether you use fresh peaches from the farmer’s market, frozen berries or canned cherries, it seems to always come out tasting delicious.
I love cobblers of all kinds, but there’s something special about Cherry Cobbler!
The tart cherries with sweet syrup and buttery crumb topping are just begging to be paired with vanilla ice cream and gobbled up on a summer evening.
When I’m craving Cherry Pie, but don’t want to mess with rolling out a crust, it’s cobbler to the rescue! It’s even easier to make when you put your Instant Pot to use.
Instant Pot Dessert Recipes
Oh, there are so many reasons I love making dessert in my instant pot.
- No oven required. Helpful on a hot summer day or when your oven is already occupied by something else on the menu.
- It’s FAST. Most instant pot desserts take less time than their oven-baked counterparts.
- It’s Easy. Put it in, push the button and wait! With programmed cooking times, the pot will automatically stop cooking when the timer runs out. So, you can hop in the shower or help the kids with school work without having to check on the timer constantly.
Cobbler Vs. Dump Cake
Ever wondered what the difference is between a cobbler and a dump cake?
I mean, they’re both fruit baked with some kind of pastry topping, which seems like all you’d need to known. But if we want to get specific, there’s one key difference.
Classic cherry cobbler traditionally has a biscuit or pie-crust like topping. In this recipe, I used a box of cake mix combined with melted butter to create flaky pastry topping.
When you make a dump cake, you don’t mix the cake mix with anything; just sprinkle it right on top of the fruit and bake. Both are delicious, but I especially love the buttery taste you get with the cobbler topping. (like this blueberry dump cake)
You only need one bowl to mix the cake with the melted butter then everything is assembled right in the baking dish.
It’s just one more step than a dump cake and total cherry paradise!
How to Make Instant Pot Cherry Cobbler
You only need four ingredients to make this Instant Pot dump cake
- Cherry Pie Filling
- Unsalted Butter
- Almond Extract
- White cake mix
Simplicity at its finest. Here’s how you make it:
STEP 1. Pour the cherry pie filling into a spring form cake pan in the bottom of your instant pot.
STEP 2. Combine cake mix with almond extract, melted butter and water, then pour this over the cherry pie filling. Cover the pan with foil.
STEP 3. Cook on HIGH PRESSURE for 25 minutes, then let it naturally release for 10 minutes once the cooking time ends. Quick release the remaining pressure.
Use a sling to remove the pan from the pot and let the cobbler cool for at least 30 minutes. It’ll be HOT!
Cherry Cobbler and Vanilla Ice Cream were made for each other. Scoop the cobbler into a bowl and plop the ice cream on top, or serve on a plate with the ice cream on the side.
You could also top your cobbler with some fresh Homemade Whipped Cream or canned whipped cream, if you prefer.
I find that this cobbler is delicious on its own too. Try the leftovers for breakfast the next day. It helps with the motivation to get out of bed, believe me.
This Instant Pot recipe is easy to adapt in all kinds of fun and tasty ways.
Mix up the mix: Try different flavors of cake mix with the cherry filling. Yellow cake mix is also delicious as a substitute for the white. If you love cherry and chocolate together, try using a boxed chocolate cake mix instead!
Pie filling: This recipe works with blueberry pie filling beautifully. I used canned filling but if you a recipe for pie filling from scratch, you can substitute equal amounts of that for the canned stuff.
Tips and Tricks
- The pan of cobbler will be VERY hot when you remove it from your pressure cooker. Be sure to use the trivet or sling to remove it.
- Let it cool a full 30 minutes before digging in. The cherry pie filling will hold heat for a while and you don’t want to burn yourself!
- Store leftovers covered in the fridge. Cobbler is delicious served chilled or at room temperature.
- The recipe was tested and designed for a 6 qt instant pot.
More Easy Dessert Recipes
It's Cherry Cobbler made in the Instant Pot! Transform a can of cherry pie filling into an impressive dessert with this easy recipe. Don't forget a scoop of ice cream on top!
- 2 cans (21 oz) cherry pie filling
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 1/2 cup water
- In the bottom of a 7-inch springform pan that fits inside your Instant Pot, pour two cans of cherry pie filling in the bottom.
- In a small bowl, combine dry cake mix with melted butter and almond extract. Crumble the dough over the pie filling.
- Cover pan with foil.
- In the bottom of a 6qt Instant Pot, add water. Place springform pan on a sling or trivet and lower into the Instant Pot.
- Secure the lid on top and make sure the valve is set to SEALING. Select HIGH PRESSURE for a cook time of 25 minutes.
- Allow to naturally release for ten minutes, then do a quick release of pressure by turning the valve to VENTING.
- Remove from pot by lifting out with sling/trivet. Remove foil and allow to cool at least 30 minutes before eating. Serve with ice cream or whipped cream, if desired!
- Recipe tested with 6qt Instant Pot.
- Can swap cake mix for different flavor, yellow or chocolate are delicious too. Swap the pie filling for blueberry for a delicious twist.
- Dump cakes use dry mix on top, whereas this cobbler is mixed with the melted butter.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Hiware 9 Inch Non-stick Cheesecake Pan Springform Pan with Removable Bottom/Leakproof Cake Pan Bakeware with Cleaning Cloth
OXO Good Grips Pressure Cooker Bakeware Sling, Red
Instant Pot DUO60 6 Qt 7-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker and Warmer
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 168Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 25mgSodium: 77mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 0gSugar: 7gProtein: 1g
*Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietitian for special diet advice.
Perfect Cherry Cobbler is better than ever when you make it in the Instant Pot! You’re going to love this easy summery dessert.