Crockpot Barbacoa and Cilantro-Lime Rice

by aimee @ shugarysweets on May 13, 2011

Crockpot Barbacoa recipe: easy, delicious...better than your take out version!
Crockpot Barbacoa recipe: easy, delicious...better than your take out version!

**photos updated September 2014**

Dear Blogger,
In all your crazy maintenance the past 24 hours, you lost my recipe. This delicious dinner, all my funny words, gone. I hope you find it in web-land, but if not, I will just have to leave my readers to wonder what I said that was so funny. Because I’m not able to remember. It was one of those, “you just had to be there” moments.
Thanks,
AimeeSlow Cooker Barbacoa with cilantro lime rice. No need for takeout! #copycat #chipotle

Anyways, Please make this tonight. Or tomorrow since it’s too late for a crock-pot recipe now. Unless of course you read this at 6am tomorrow. Whatever.

If you like Chipotle, this is my version of their Barbacoa and Cilantro-Lime Rice. Enjoy!

Crockpot Barbacoa and Cilantro-Lime Rice

Rating: 51

Cook Time: 6 hours

Yield: serves 6-8

For the Barbacoa:
  • 3-4 lb beef chuck roast
  • 2 limes, juiced
  • 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (just the peppers, not the sauce)
  • 4 garlic cloves
  • 1 heaping Tbsp cumin
  • 1 Tbsp oregano
  • 1½ tsp salt
  • 1½ tsp ground black pepper
  • ½ tsp ground cloves
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 3 bay leaves
  • For the Cilantro-Lime Rice
  • 3 cup water
  • 2 cup Jasmine Rice
  • 3 Tbsp butter
  • 2 tsp salt
  • ¾ cup fresh cilantro, minced
  • 1 lime, juiced

For the barbacoa:
  1. In food processor (or blender), combine vinegar, lime juice, chipotle peppers, garlic cloves, cumin, oregano, pepper, salt and ground cloves. Process on high until smooth.
  2. In large crockpot, add roast, pepper puree, bay leaves, and chicken broth. Heat on low 6-8 hours. Shred beef and place back in juice, remove bay leaves. Serve on a tortilla with cilanto-lime rice, colby cheese, lettuce and guacamole. Enjoy!!!
  3. For the cilantro lime rice:
  4. Combine rice, water, butter and salt in large saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce to low and simmer for 20 minutes. When done, add lime juice and cilantro. Yum.

Crockpot Barbacoa recipe: easy, delicious...better than your take out version!

Lark (SparkyLarky) May 12, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Looks perfect!

The Sugar Queen May 12, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Hi there! I just happened upon your blog, and it looks great! I’m now following you, and invite you to check my blog out, as well ~

I don’t eat fast food either, but I do like Chipotle (though I rarely go there, either). These recipes look great!

newmanscorner May 12, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Thank you thank you thank you for posting this!! My husband and I love mexican food, especially Chipotle and Qdoba and we’ve been trying to master their rice and could never get it. As I was reading your post I was hoping that you would have a recipe for rice…and you do!! Thanks again!

P.S. you wouldn’t happen to know of any good corn salsa recipes like they serve at Chipotle?

Liz @ Two Maids a Milking May 12, 2011 at 7:26 pm

OMG that looks yummy!! Oh and I will take whatever is in that glass too!! Yum!

Aimee May 12, 2011 at 8:08 pm

haha Liz- just a little Seagram’s wine cooler, or energy drinks as I like to refer to them!!

Pretty. Good. Food. May 13, 2011 at 10:07 pm

I love new recipes that give me the opportunity to use my crock pot! :)

Miz Helen May 13, 2011 at 10:07 pm

What an awesome Crock Pot surprise. We would just love this recipe. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you next week!

laura@imnotatrophywife.com May 14, 2011 at 3:04 am

Yummy! i’m going to make this on Sunday! new follower from mangoes and chutney link party.

laura

Aimee May 14, 2011 at 1:50 pm

@ Pretty- I too love using the crockpot. Especially on evenings when life is totally crazy with sports, or I’m busy in the garden!

@ Miz Helen- I hope you try it, so yummy! And of course I’ll be back next week :)

@ Laura- thanks for following, I love Miranda over at Mangoes and Chutney!

Miranda May 15, 2011 at 9:26 pm

Thanks for the comment love Aimee! This cilantro rice sounds amazing and I am definitely going to work it in my menu the next time I get some cilantro.

Sorry about the Blogger fiasco, I was a little bent out of shape that day too! Thanks for linking up to Fat Camp Friday this week! See you next Friday!

Sara May 16, 2011 at 11:18 pm

I love barbacoa! Thanks for the recipe!

shopannies May 17, 2011 at 2:32 am

oh my I think you are heading right down the path of food my teens love thanks for sharing come see me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

Sarah May 17, 2011 at 11:40 pm

Cilantro-lime rice sounds delicious! I’m dying to make it now – will definitely try when I get home this week. Especially since barbacoa sounds amazing!

Jenn Erickson May 24, 2011 at 4:08 am

Ugh — so sorry to hear that Blogger lost your recipe and your post, but you still pulled off a winning post and recipe with terrific wit and style!

This is definitely a must-try recipe for me this summer. I’m woefully short on good crock-pot recipes, and even shorter on time, so I’m really excited to try your barbacoa recipe!

Thank you so much for coming back to “A Little Birdie Told Me…” Tuesday at Rook No. 17 this week!

Best,
Jenn

Rebekah May 26, 2011 at 1:45 am

Found your blog via Tasty Kitchen. This recipe is fantastic! My Chipotle-loving husband just told me I knocked it out of the park and I’m going back for seconds before it’s all gone. Thank you!

Aimee May 26, 2011 at 10:43 am

Rebekah- so glad to hear it!!

Gooseberry Patch June 10, 2011 at 2:31 pm

Just stopping by to say thank you so much for linking up to our Family Favorite Recipe Round-Up today! We’d love to include your recipe (and any other you’d like to share) in an upcoming Gooseberry Patch cookbook. When you have a moment, would you mind stopping by our website and sharing it with us there? Here’s a link: http://bit.ly/GBPsharearecipe Add the code RRU-FF to the Special Code field and we’ll keep an eye out for it. :) If it’s selected for publication, we’ll let you know, and you’ll receive a free copy of the cookbook too! Thanks again for sharing on our blog today…we appreciate it!

Anne @ Quick and Easy Cheap and Healthy June 16, 2011 at 11:13 pm

I am in love with Chipotle, and I’m definitely going to have to try this one!

Madeleine January 2, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Me and My husband are in l o v e with the barbacoa from Chipotle, and my husbands been bugging be for over a year to make it at home. I will def. try this recipe, looks really easy. A lot of other recipes Ive found for this calls for TONS of (weird) ingredients. Thank You!

Jill January 5, 2012 at 7:21 pm

This recipe looks wonderful! I’d love it if you submitted it to us here at Gooseberry Patch for possible inclusion in a new slow cooker cookbook. Just follow the link for simple directions! Thanks!

Donna P July 15, 2012 at 9:55 pm

I can’t wait to try this recipe! I LOVE Chipotle! I am going to the grocery store now! Thanks for sharing!

www.lovepeaceandhodson.com April 16, 2013 at 12:09 pm

The organization should focus on customer satisfaction.
With the reservoir filled, plug the spray gun into either an electrical outlet or an air compressor.

If your unit is draining properly there should be no accumulation of
water in the PVC pipe.
http://www.lovepeaceandhodson.com recently posted..http://www.lovepeaceandhodson.comMy Profile

food to help gain muscle May 15, 2013 at 8:15 pm

These exercises will build up muscles in the thigh and buttocks.
In addition to a standard straight bar is the “E-Z” bar, which is very popular
for biceps routines, because the bent nature of
the middle portions of the bar allow you to use it with inward palms,
eliminating wrist strain. This set is performed using
a set of dumbbells that can be lifted alternately or simultaneously.
food to help gain muscle recently posted..food to help gain muscleMy Profile

Anonymous June 13, 2013 at 12:14 am

I was the general manager for Chipotle Mexican Grill and neither one of these recipes are even close!

aimee @ shugarysweets June 13, 2013 at 12:04 pm

They tasted delicious though!!

Jamie June 24, 2013 at 9:23 am

I love your blogs and recipes! Just wish you had a print option! :(

aimee @ shugarysweets June 24, 2013 at 10:04 am

Hi jamie,
All my new recipes have print options, I’m working on getting these older recipes into the program!!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Funfetti CookiesMy Profile

Jeanne September 5, 2013 at 3:36 pm

Hi:
I just found this recipe for crockpot barbacoa and would love to give it to my daughter-in-law since she loves, loves, loves this stuff. Could you please advise how much apple cider vinegar to use as the recipe says ? cup ! Would love to know how much apple cider vinegar to use ! Thank you !

aimee @ shugarysweets September 6, 2013 at 7:24 am

Hi Jeanne, it’s 1/4 cup.

kellie January 13, 2014 at 5:42 pm

Do you think the meat and sauce could be frozen and then cooked in the slow cooker as a freezer meal.

Jackie Serna-Coe January 19, 2014 at 1:06 pm

Wow!! This Crockpot Baracoa and Cilantro-Lime looks so amazing I’m going to make it tmw night for dinner. I come from a Hispanic back round and don’t find many recipes that speak to me like this recipe. Thank you for this idea.

Shiloh Barkley February 10, 2014 at 7:33 pm

Made this for dinner tonight!
Shiloh Barkley recently posted..Roasted Cauliflower SoupMy Profile

Ashley June 24, 2014 at 10:44 am

Do you pour the pepper purée over the meat or just in the bottom of the crock pot?
Thanks!

aimee @ shugarysweets June 24, 2014 at 10:45 am

YOu can do either. I usually pour it over the meat.

Hola November 9, 2014 at 10:39 am

Looks good but this is not barbacoa! It just meat…barbacoa has to be made in a hole in the ground with cactus! Cant be made in a kitchen, sorry.

aimee @ shugarysweets November 9, 2014 at 5:46 pm

Darn. I have no cactus or holes in ground. I’ll just keep eating this though, cause it’s good :)

Anonymous November 22, 2014 at 10:45 pm

And it’s not made out of chuck roast…