Chicken Tetrazzini

Comfort food. This Chicken Tetrazzini has been a family favorite recipe for many years! It’s also a great dish to bring a new mom!

Be sure to sign up for my email…new recipes in your inbox!

**Photos updated August 2014
We make this Chicken Tetrazzini recipe so often in our house, I can’t believe I never updated these photos! If you scroll all the way down, you’ll see just how atrocious my photography was in the beginning of blogging! Don’t judge, k?

This cheesy dish needs to happen in your kitchen. It’s perfect for a family meal. Or split it into two dishes (2qt dishes) and share it with a neighbor or friend in need! This dish ALWAYS gets rave reviews, and once you try it, you’ll understand why!!

Please trust me that this is one of the best tetrazzinis you will ever eat, even though the picture is a little yellow. As you can tell I don’t put mushrooms in mine, as my husband would probably cry, or throw a tantrum. However, the white wine adds a rich flavor to the creamy sauce, you won’t miss the mushrooms (too much).

My mother in law first introduced me to this delish dish! It’s now my go-to recipe to bring to other families, for instance when a baby is born. Kids love it too, but call it white spaghetti, cause tetrazzini sounds a little too scary!

Chicken Tetrazinni

Yield: serves 8-10

• 16 oz thin spaghetti, cooked (or any of your favorite noodles)
  • ½ cup butter (plus more for buttering pan)
  • 4 chicken breasts, cooked, diced
  • 2 cans cream of chicken soup
  • 2 cup sour cream
  • ½ cup dry white wine (I use Beringer, but you can also use cooking wine)
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
  • 2 Tbsp parmesan cheese
  • 2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Combine 1/2 cup butter, cooked chicken, soup, sour cream, salt, pepper and white wine. Add cooked noodles. Pour into a buttered 13x9. Sprinkle both cheeses on top. Bake in a 300 degree oven for 45 minutes, covered with foil. Remove foil and bake for another 15 minutes. May be made in advance and refrigerated (before cooking). However, add time if that is the case to heat thoroughly! Enjoy!

104 Responses to “Chicken Tetrazzini”

1. posted Sep 14, 2011 at 11:08 am

trust me, this is good. I once lived at their house and ate these leftovers for a week straight because no one else would. Wow, that doesnt’ sound like it was good. I guess they didn’t eat them because Aimee made something fantastic every night for dinner.

2. posted Sep 14, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Do you think this would freeze well?

3. posted Sep 14, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Cajun- I have frozen it in a foil pan with heavy duty foil on top (freeze before cooking). Then thaw out in refrigerator (I do it on counter, but the meat is already cooked). Bake normally. I usually fold in a cup of extra cheese (normally you would just put it on top), so that it’s not dry. It’s awesome!

4. posted Sep 14, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Hi Aimee, is the 1/2 cup of butter just used for buttering the pan, or should it be mixed into the pasta, sour cream, etc.?

5. posted Sep 14, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Tara, it’s for mixing in! It becomes all creamy…mmmmmm

6. posted Sep 16, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Ahh, okay! Mmm, butter makes everything better. 😉

7. posted Aug 11, 2014 at 8:25 am

when do you add the spaghetti? :)

• Anonymous
      posted Oct 13, 2014 at 4:02 am

“add cooked noodles”

8. Heidi
    posted Aug 12, 2014 at 4:54 pm

Super silly question: when you mix the butter with the chicken, soup, sour cream, wine, s&p, is the butter melted? Chopped/chunked so it melts when you bake it? Left whole in stick form? My mind says it should be melted before combining it with everything, but the instructions are unclear.

• posted Aug 12, 2014 at 5:21 pm

When I toss it into a bowl, the hot noodles and chicken melt the butter. There still may be small clumps, which when cooked they melt down. Hope that helps, sorry for the confusion!!! ENJOY.

• Heidi
        posted Aug 18, 2014 at 7:26 pm

Thanks for the butter info! :)

• Lisa
          posted Sep 18, 2014 at 12:23 pm

That was my question as well…thank you!!!

• Anonymous
            posted Jan 21, 2015 at 5:02 pm

ah dang, I melted it. Its in the oven now and smelling delish. Hope it turns out!

9. Ashley
    posted Aug 13, 2014 at 2:18 pm

Looks amazing! Do you think substituting Greek yogurt for the sour cream would work?

10. Em
    posted Aug 14, 2014 at 6:54 pm

Yum, I am trying this recipe tonight. What spices/herbs do you have sprinkled on top of the chicken tetrazzini in your picture?

• posted Aug 14, 2014 at 8:22 pm

I just added a little dried parsley when it came out of the oven. Just for a touch of color :)

11. Michelle Johns
    posted Aug 15, 2014 at 10:38 am

I am not a huge fan of cream of anything soups…is there a substitute I can use?

• Karen
      posted Jan 1, 2015 at 4:18 pm

Same question – how would you make it without the cream soup?

• posted Jan 2, 2015 at 8:48 am

I only make it with the cream soup. Sorry!!

• Courtney
          posted Feb 8, 2015 at 12:09 pm

INGREDIENTS 2 tablespoons butter 3 tablespoons flour 1/2 cup chicken broth 1/2 cup milk (I used 1%) 1/4 teaspoon salt 1/4 teaspoon black pepper DIRECTIONS In a small sauce pan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour and let cook for 1-2 minutes. Slowly stir in chicken broth, then milk. Whisk until it begins to thicken. Let it simmer for a few minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

12. Hailey
    posted Aug 16, 2014 at 7:36 pm

Hi! Im making this tonight. Do you think it would be good with some kale thrown in??

13. Stephanie
    posted Aug 20, 2014 at 4:32 pm

Just curious how did you cook you’re chicken breasts?? :)

• posted Aug 20, 2014 at 5:12 pm

Sometimes I bake extra chicken on the weekends, to keep on hand for recipes like this or salad. Sometimes I use my Pampered Chef Deep Covered Baker to microwave chicken. Sometimes I just boil the chicken until tender. And other times I cheat and use a rotisserie chicken :)

14. Anonymous
    posted Aug 23, 2014 at 2:36 pm

I made for supper other nite and was amazing !!! Thanks gor sharing recipe

15. Rebekah Sherwood
    posted Aug 24, 2014 at 10:37 pm

This looks amazing! I use this recipe for cream of whatever soups and I love it!

16. Pingback: Foodies Network » Chicken Tatrazinni

17. Jennie Edwards
    posted Sep 2, 2014 at 6:01 pm

Cooked for dinner tonight and absolutely love this dish! Easy to pull together and will have to keep this for my go-to for any occasion. Thanks for sharing!!

• posted Sep 2, 2014 at 9:03 pm

So happy to hear it. It’s truly a family favorite around here!!

18. Peggy Davis
    posted Sep 4, 2014 at 5:42 pm

Made this for dinner tonight. It was very good. I did tweak it just a bit. I added some frozen peas, sliced mushrooms and garlic. We all loved it. I will half this for next time. It is a lot of food for just 3 people. But it is delish. Thanks for sharing.

• posted Sep 4, 2014 at 8:25 pm

Your additions sound wonderful :) Glad you enjoyed this!

• Anonymous
      posted Oct 7, 2014 at 7:56 pm

Peggy…can u share how much of those things u added?

• Peggy
        posted Oct 7, 2014 at 8:24 pm

I’m not big on measuring. I would say maybe a cup of frozen sweet peas. About 12 -15 button mushrooms sliced and a sprinkle of granulated garlic. Sprinkle = about 1/2 teaspoon. Just add some and taste it. If you like it, go with it. If not, add a little more. I just play with things, but, I think these are pretty close.

19. Kim
    posted Sep 9, 2014 at 8:20 pm

What a great recipe base! I changed it just a little bit…hope you don’t mind! I used my Dutch oven to sautee some onions and garlic in the butter. Then, I added everything else to the pot, including an addition of 2 bunches of broccoli. Then I popped the while thing in the oven. It smells delicious and I can’t wait to eat it!

• posted Sep 10, 2014 at 4:12 pm

Of course I don’t mind. I love to hear how people use my recipes as inspiration! And your additions sounds delicious!

20. Kelly A.
    posted Sep 10, 2014 at 8:49 pm

Made this for dinner tonight and it was FABULOUS! I didn’t have Parmesan cheese, but it still tasted wonderful and I will make it again! Thank you for sharing the recipe!

21. posted Sep 13, 2014 at 11:28 am

Should that be 2 cups not 2 tbs of parmesan cheese

• posted Sep 13, 2014 at 11:53 am

No, it’s only 2 Tbsp. There is already 2 cup of mozzarella. ENJOY!

22. Patti
    posted Sep 14, 2014 at 1:28 pm

This recipe sounds wonderful, but I was wondering if you could use something else in place of the wine. Would chicken stock work instead?

• Jenny
      posted Sep 29, 2014 at 10:34 pm

I was wondering the same thing!

• Lana
        posted Jan 30, 2015 at 11:34 am

Same question as Patti. I’m thinkin’ about using low sodium chicken broth.

23. April
    posted Sep 15, 2014 at 1:33 pm

What side dish would you put with this? Just garlic bread?

• Lana
      posted Jan 30, 2015 at 11:36 am

I would eat a garden salad & garlic bread.

24. Linda
    posted Oct 4, 2014 at 3:01 pm

I didn’t have the wine so I used chicken stock..I think it turned out great.

25. Antonette
    posted Oct 6, 2014 at 5:53 pm

Hi! I have a silly question. for the cream of chicken soup, do we mix it straight from the can or follow the directions on the can (adding a can of water)? Thanks!

• Savannah
      posted Dec 17, 2014 at 7:22 pm

I was wondering the same we just put the can in or add the water?

26. posted Oct 6, 2014 at 9:25 pm

This is a great recipe. Delicious. Even my picky family loved it. I used canned chicken because my son has chewing problems (long story – autism). Canned is very soft. Some might not like it with canned chicken but my guys loved it. THANKS!

27. bob
    posted Oct 26, 2014 at 1:42 pm

Where does the cheese go? You list it in the ingredients but not the recipe. Learn to give a complete recipe if you’re going to post.

• posted Oct 26, 2014 at 1:58 pm

Learn to read a recipe before leaving such a rude comment!

• Debbie
      posted Oct 27, 2014 at 12:45 pm

OMG BOB!! Why do you have to be so rude when all someone is doing is helping others. It says right in her directions ON TOP!!! But one might think you could mix it in too. Use your noggin Bob! and quit being so mean to other people.

28. Andrea
    posted Oct 26, 2014 at 6:30 pm

Just made this tonight. It was very yummy. Based on other reviews, I halved the recipe. Glad I did! :) I sauteed 8oz of mushrooms and threw them in. The next time I think I will throw some bread crumbs and extra seasoning/herbs on top. Mine didn’t quite look as creamy as yours, but thinking it might be because I halved it. Thanks for the yummy recipe!

29. Becca
    posted Nov 8, 2014 at 7:21 pm

I made this tonight and it was AMAZING! Like better than Olive Garden amazing! Will definitely be a regular in my home :) thanks!!

30. Kara
    posted Nov 10, 2014 at 8:52 pm

I must tell you…through the chaos of Walmart on Sunday afternoon, I bought cream of celery instead of cream of chicken. It was still delicious!!!! Happy husband and happy kiddo at my place tonight! We can’t wait to try it the original way! Thank you for a great recipe!

31. Colby
    posted Nov 11, 2014 at 11:14 pm

Hi! I was wondering how you might tweak this to cook in a crockpot?

• posted Nov 12, 2014 at 7:09 am

Oh I’m not sure, I’ve never tried that! If you do, let me know how it turns out!

• Rachael
        posted Nov 15, 2014 at 4:23 pm

I love crockpot recipes. I didn’t try this one in the crockpot, but from my experience, I bet you could skip pre-cooking the chicken. Just put it in there raw with all the ingredients. Be sure to spray your crockpot with cooking spray so it doesn’t stick too much. And, I would probably use a penne or rotini style pasta instead of a spaghetti/linguine/fettuccine. Cook on low for 4 hours. Once it’s finished you can shred the chicken with a fork instead of it being cubed.

I’d love to hear if that works!

32. kristin
    posted Nov 26, 2014 at 10:16 am

Would the cooking time need to be adjusted if you half the recipe? Thanks

33. posted Dec 11, 2014 at 7:14 pm

So I’m an underage cook and obviously can’t buy the wine… Am I allowed to buy cooking wine? And if not, is there some other substitute that I can use?

34. posted Dec 16, 2014 at 8:22 am

Anyone used any other cheese besides mozzarella?

35. posted Dec 19, 2014 at 9:00 am

Thank you for this post! I made this last night for my fiancee and we both thought it was amazing! Very easy and a unique flavor. I used sauvignon blanc for my wine. I accidentally read the butter wrong and thought it said 1/2 stick of butter but it was still delicious. I can only imagine what it would have been if I used a whole stick! YUM!!!!!

36. Chelsea
    posted Dec 19, 2014 at 1:58 pm

Did you not fully cook the chicken and noodles due to putting it in the oven and they will cook more or did you cook everything until done and put it together and then in the oven?? Just wondering :)

37. Marla Johnson
    posted Dec 30, 2014 at 10:39 am

I made this last night and it was very dry, but we loved the flavor. I followed the recipe exactly except for using angel hair pasta instead of spaghetti (husband went to the grocery store :). Could this have made the difference?

Mine didn’t look creamy like the pictures and I don’t see any other comments about the same issue. I’d like to make it again but don’t know what I did wrong. Any ideas?

• posted Jan 1, 2015 at 3:12 pm

This is definitely a creamy dish, so I’m not sure why it would turn out dry. I haven’t used angel hair, but I wouldn’t think that would be the issue…Sorry!

38. posted Jan 3, 2015 at 5:28 pm

Good evening! We made this for the first time about two months ago, and even my picky kid liked and ate it! We’ve made several times since, ((we have a pan of it in the oven as I type)) and it’s become a favorite around our house! Thanks for sharing!!!

• posted Jan 4, 2015 at 7:55 am

So happy to hear it’s become a favorite at your house too! ENJOY!

39. Pingback: Recipe – Chicken Tetrazzini! Easy Freezer Meal Instructions & More Ideas for Your Meal Plan! – Mom Saves Money

40. posted Jan 5, 2015 at 9:59 pm

My husband and I made this tonight and it was super good! But, then, every single one of your recipes I have tried is fantastic. We used a rotisserie chicken and added sauteed mushrooms and peas, and a bit of sharp cheddar to the cheeses. Will definitely make it again!

41. posted Jan 20, 2015 at 6:58 pm

I have it in the oven right now! We’ll see how it turns out. I’m excited…and so is my husband. :)

42. Pingback: Chicken Tetrazinni | Bake a Bite

43. Anonymous
    posted Feb 20, 2015 at 12:02 am

Can’t wait to try this, have been looking for a great tetrazzini recipe but I will have to add mushrooms (sorry to your husband) and also a handful of frozen peas (he prob’ly hates those also).

Thanks for the recipe!

44. Andrea
    posted Feb 26, 2015 at 6:10 pm

How do you preferably cook the chicken before putting this recipe together?

45. Andrea
    posted Feb 26, 2015 at 6:16 pm

never mind, I finally read most of the other comments and found my answer. Can’t wait to try!

46. Pingback: Cheesy, Chicken Tetrazzini. One of our favorite meals, perfect for serving a crowd too! EASY and DELISH! - My Pinterest Cookbook

47. Pingback: Italian Chicken Casserole - Shugary Sweets

48. Cindy
    posted Mar 14, 2015 at 4:46 pm

Just made this dish tonight- and it was such a hit at our couples’ dinner night! Our friends asked us if it was my Italian mother in law’s recipe! Hehe. She usually makes her tetrazzini creamy with whipping cream, but I love the use of cream of chicken soup and sour cream instead! Nothing like Americanizing dishes by turning it into a casserole! Am I right?? 😉

49. Pingback: 8 Dinners and 2 Desserts | My Simplified Life

50. Pingback: Homemade Spaghettios and Meatballs - Shugary Sweets

51. Pingback: Peanut Butter Brownie Bites - Shugary Sweets

52. Barbie
    posted Apr 11, 2015 at 12:07 am

just wondering about the wine. is there something that can be substituted for that. dont cook with that or the cooking wine

• posted Apr 11, 2015 at 3:36 pm

The wine definitely gives it flavor! You can substitute chicken stock if you prefer.

53. Lynda Dodd
    posted May 6, 2015 at 7:33 am

Thanks for sharing this recipe. It looks awesome! My daughter and her friend are coming over in a couple of weeks on her birthday. I’m going to make this. I know she will love it. I was looking for something I could prepare ahead because I have to work that day. This sounds perfect! Thanks again!

• posted May 6, 2015 at 7:59 am

You’re welcome! Feel free to add mushrooms if your family likes them…sadly only 2/6 eat mushrooms here! haha

54. Brittany
    posted May 6, 2015 at 2:16 pm

I added a can of Rotel and French’s fried onions on top-the bomb dot com!

55. Pingback: Creamy Chicken Tetrazzini - SanSodi

56. Mayrine French
    posted May 10, 2015 at 9:05 am

To the gal that said she was no fan of “cream of anything” soup, I have an idea. I have not cooked this yet, but last weekend, I made some enchaladas that called for a can of creme of mushroom and a creme of chx soup. What I did because I didnt’ have the cream of chx was substituted a jar of turkey gravy, and it was incredible!!! So maybe that will help you. It is what I am going to use for this recipe. Turkey gravy has such a much more intense flavor, it really made a diff!

57. Kat
    posted May 20, 2015 at 6:16 pm

I accidentally forgot to add the sour cream :( do you suggest I add some to each plate as I serve them or just see how it goes from here?

• posted May 21, 2015 at 8:18 am

Was the mixture creamy? Adding on a plate will totally change the taste, so definitely don’t do that. My only concern is it may be a little dry without the sour cream in the casserole. Hope it still turned out okay!

58. Ashley
    posted Jun 18, 2015 at 5:53 pm

I just put this in the oven and omitted the white wine….my bottle showed expired by two years so i got picky! then i read everyone’s comments about the consistency and had a panick attack. I grabbed chicken stock, and poured into pan as the noodles absorbed it i prayed it doesn’t ruin it ha! (this was at beginning of cooking time) will post how it turns out 😉

59. Brianna
    posted Jul 15, 2015 at 9:59 am

I’m really looking forward to this! Making it tonight before we take my 2 year old twins to swim lessons. If I bake it before we leave do you think it will all be warm after 3 hours? Do you think another 30min in the oven get it back to serving temp? Thanks!

• posted Jul 19, 2015 at 10:36 am

Sorry I’m just seeing this!! Hope it all worked out and you enjoyed the dinner!!

60. Amanda
    posted Aug 23, 2015 at 3:17 pm

What type of Parmesan cheese did you use? I’m not sure if I should get fresh, or the prepackaged shaker kind that brand like Kraft make.

• posted Aug 24, 2015 at 1:31 pm

I used Kraft, but any brand works! Fresh or packaged. :)

61. Ayn
    posted Sep 2, 2015 at 7:06 pm

This is in the oven as I speak and licking the bowl gave me an inkling of the absolutely fabulous dinner to come… I was right you have hit it out of the park! Fabulous –so phenomenal–just can’t say enough good. The ultimate in casseroles and comfort food. I will be taking this to church socials and as you said —to friends when they need food. Thank you for sharing

• posted Sep 3, 2015 at 10:05 am

So glad you enjoyed the recipe!! I’m sure your friends and church social groups will be asking for the recipe as well :)

62. Lovisa Wiseman
    posted Sep 12, 2015 at 10:58 pm

This is so good.  My husband and son loved it.  There was enough for us to have two meals from it.  Will definitely make again!

• posted Sep 13, 2015 at 9:11 am

So glad you enjoyed the dinner!!It definitely makes a full pan!

63. holly
    posted Oct 10, 2015 at 7:36 pm

I made this dish tonight for me and my husband. I added cream cheese to the recipe also, it turned out amazing. I will definitely be making this again. Thank you for sharing it with everyone!!

• posted Oct 11, 2015 at 12:08 pm

So happy to hear it was a hit. I’ve used cream cheese too, and you’re right, it’s amazing :)

64. Bev
    posted Oct 17, 2015 at 2:05 pm

I have to have mushrooms. I love them!

65. sara
    posted Nov 17, 2015 at 5:16 pm

Can this recipe be cut in half?