Chocolate Peppermint Biscotti

by aimee @ shugarysweets on November 30, 2011

Chocolate Peppermint Biscotti

Eating biscotti always reminds me of our old neighbors (Hi Greg, Kari, Kim and Tom!!!). I don’t even think we ever ate biscotti when we lived next door to them. However, there was one visit they came out to see us and I bought a big tub of Biscotti from Costco and I think we ate nearly the entire tub. Ever since, we always have biscotti for each other when we visit!

I think of them when I drink red wine too. But I don’t know if I have permission to share that story…

Back to the biscotti. I have so many flavor combinations in my head, just like donuts, but I knew this would be one of the first ones I wanted to try. After making the pumpkin spiced biscotti this fall, it was time to tackle this holiday version.

And I’m so glad I did. It tasted wonderful. Yes, past tense. It’s gone now. Must make more soon.

What are you baking up this holiday season?

** If you haven’t done so, come join me on Twitter! Get the scoop on what’s in my kitchen before everyone else! And what another great way to get to know eachother too! Click here to join me!

Chocolate Peppermint Biscotti

Yield: 18

• 1 cup sugar
  • 1 Tbsp hot water
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
  • 1 Tbsp instant coffee
  • 2 cup flour + 2Tbsp for counter
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder + 2Tbsp for counter
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 11 oz white chocolate morsels
  • 6 peppermint candy canes, crushed

1. In mixer, beat sugar, hot water, eggs, instant coffee and peppermint extract together until smooth and creamy. Slowly add in 2 cup flour, 3/4 cup cocoa, baking soda and salt.
  2. Batter will be very sticky. Line two cookie sheets with silpat or parchment paper. In small bowl mix 2 Tbsp of cocoa powder with 2Tbsp flour. Divide dough in half and sprinkle parchment with flour/cocoa mixture. With hands, press dough into two rectangles, about 4 in by 10 in (and 1/4 inch high).
  3. Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 15-20 minutes. Remove and let cool 10-15 minutes. Slice rectangles into 1/2inch to 3/4 inch wide slices. Lay each slice on it’s side and put back in the oven (on the parchment lined baking sheet) for an additional 15 minutes.
  4. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely on wire rack.
  5. Melt white chocolate morsels according to package directions, Spread bottoms of each biscotti with white chocolate then dip into the crushed candy canes. Allow to set, about one hour. Makes about 18 large biscotti. Enjoy!

*For more peppermint goodness, go visit these friends…
Newleyweds                  Peppermint Brownies
Taste of Home               Candy Cane Punch
Two Peas and Their Pod  Chocolate Peppermint Crunch Cookies

Jocelyn November 30, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Yummmm! More minty chocolate goodness!!!! Can you believe that I have never had biscotti…guess that means I need to visit you:-)

Vicki V @ blestnest.blogspot.com November 30, 2011 at 12:51 pm

Looks fabulous and nice and crunchy! I would love dipping this biscotti in hot chocolate! It would be sublime!

redfly November 30, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Love it! Love your whole blog. I am such a big fan of sugary sweets. Becoming a follower to keep up on all your sweet creations!

If you get a chance sometime, you’ll have to stop by my blog.

Melissa
redflycreations.blogspot.com

Lyuba @ Will Cook For Smiles November 30, 2011 at 3:28 pm

Those look just wonderful! I haven’t dabbled in biscotti yet, but really want to try it! Great job :)

Katie November 30, 2011 at 10:55 pm

I love biscotti and this sounds like a winning flavor combination. I’m pinning it so I don’t forget about it…I’ll be making it soon!

betty December 1, 2011 at 6:00 am

this sounds so festive! they look good and I would love to try them

peanutbutterandpeppers.com December 1, 2011 at 12:14 pm

You read my mind! I was planning on making a recipe like this, this weekend, now I’ll use yours! I just love candy cane foods! Last night I made Candy Cane Mousse! Yum! Thanks for the recipe, I can’t wait to try it!

Jamie December 1, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Definitely making these for Christmas.
Jamie

Cranberry Morning December 1, 2011 at 2:08 pm

I LOVE making biscotti,(well, actually I love biscotti and find the best way to get it is to make it!). Is there anyone on the planet who doesn’t love the combination of mint and chocolate?? These look so pretty and I know they taste amazing. I’m definitely going to bake these in the next couple weeks. Thanks so much for the recipe. :-)

Judee @ Gluten Free A-Z December 1, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Your pictures look fabulous and what a great recipe. I’m a BIG peppermint fan! I am now following you and would love a follow back.

Kacey @ Cooking With Kacey December 1, 2011 at 5:20 pm

I love biscotti and this looks especially delicious. Can’t wait to try it!

Julie @SavvyEats December 1, 2011 at 8:56 pm

These look so pretty!

KB December 3, 2011 at 2:11 am

Looks delish!

We’d love you to share your recipes with us at

Simply Delish Saturday

Natasha @ Keeping the Christmas Spirit Alive, 365 December 3, 2011 at 10:21 am

They look delicious! I have bags of candy canes that I need to use up so I might give this recipe a try. Thanks for the other links too!

I am hosting a candy cane link up as part of my 12 Days of Christmas series at my Christmas blog. I would be honoured if you could stop by and link up this wonderful idea/post!

Best Christmas wishes,
Natasha.

Susan-The Weekly Sweet Experiment December 5, 2011 at 6:19 pm

Yummy! I am going to have to try this recipe ASAP! I linked at Melt in Your Mouth Monday too – that’s where I saw you. I link Peppermint Brownie Bites. Peppermint is in the air! Love your blog!

Kristy @ Next to Heaven December 6, 2011 at 10:13 pm

I am SO adding this to my baking list- and pinning it!!

Jen at The Three Little Piglets December 7, 2011 at 3:47 am

Saw these over on Today’s Creative Blog and clicked over! They sound perfect for the holiday season, and quite frankly I’m always looking for a good excuse to eat something peppermint!

marissa December 8, 2011 at 7:22 am

these are so pretty I haven’t made biscotti in years I think i’ll have to do something about that I’d love you to add this to my what we wore and made party over at http://raegunwear.blogspot.com

Annie December 7, 2013 at 8:35 pm

I have never made biscotti before…but this recipe really makes me want to give it a whirl this year, thank you for sharing! <3
Annie recently posted..Dollar Store Score!My Profile

Carol December 16, 2013 at 9:37 am

I’m an avid baker…I’ve attempted to make these twice and both times they have burnt to a crisp. First time I followed directions to a tee. Second time, I reduced cooking time, lowered oven temperature and moved the rack up higher to no avail. The first time they burnt after being cut into pieces, the second time they burnt on their first visit into the oven. So discouraged. Thanks anyways, but I won’t be attempting these again.