Swedish Almond Cake
I love a perfect cake to go with my afternoon coffee. This friends, is that perfect cake. It’s super moist, dense, and has a hint of lemon and almond.
My friend, Pilvi, from Finland is so kind. She went to Austria and brought me back a beautiful cookbook. With a recipe for the famous Sacher Torte. A beautiful dense chocolate cake, with an apricot filling and chocolate glaze. It’s divine. I know because she made it and gave me a piece (and she explained it was much work to make)!
And I brought her was this lovely almond cake. Should I tell her how absolutely easy it is to make? Pilvi, if you are reading this, I love you, but this was too easy to make, especially compared to your beautiful sacher torte.
*note* I used homemade vanilla sugar in this recipe. You could use regular, and add vanilla extract or half a vanilla bean, scraped.
- 1 cup vanilla sugar
- 1 lemon, zested
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 Tbsp sliced almonds
- 1 Tbsp coarse sugar (pearl sugar)
- In mixer, blend vanilla sugar with zest from one lemon. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add in salt and almond extract.
- Mix in the flour and melted butter.
- Pour batter into a greased and floured 9 inch cake pan. Sprinkle coarse sugar and almonds on top.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 25 minutes. Remove from oven, cool several minutes before turning out of pan.
- Enjoy warm or room temperature!
Copyright Shugary Sweets 2011-2015
Leave a Comment